help with camel spin

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by toothbrush, Oct 17, 2011.

1. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

hi, my camel spin is just not working at the moment. i am falling onto the inside of the blade, doing massive big spinning circles. just not getting onto correct part of blade and dropping in. no probs with sit spin, layback, upright etc. help!:confused:

2. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

I had this problem when I first got back on the ice after a few years off. Try lifting your right hip (assuming you spin anti clockwise). This should help you shift your weight towards the outside and hopefully get you spinning again. :)

3. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

I have similar problems with camel spin. Try press the free leg back behind you.

4. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Try pushing harder from the right foot, it sounds like the spin is too slow to hold the center. I would also use more force with the left arm on the entrance as well. Stretch every muscle (arms, east/west) head to toe (north/south). Any weakness gets taken over by the centrifugal force! Good luck.

5. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

yep, the spin in dreadfully slow. not getting the whip into it and when i videoed it my chest was too high up. wonder if i am rising up and locking on spinning leg too quickly too?

6. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That has happened to me. What helps the most is to think of reaching for my right foot with my left hand.

I also practice the camel position at the boards. Stand with the boards on your left side. Lean down and put your left shoulder on the boards, with your arm back. Then lift your right leg and put your foot on the boards so you're in a camel position.

7. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Yes. You need to twist your head and shoulders to the left (assuming you spin CCW) and keep your free leg crossed behind your skating leg as you enter the spin, just like you are reaching for your right foot with your left hand, like a dog chasing its tail. Also, as you step down and push off into your entrance edge from your preparatory edge, plant that foot into the ice, bend your knee and get your chest down, look over your left shoulder and THEN push off into the spin, in the direction you are looking. You should feel like your entrance edge is taking you in a small circle around your left shoulder and you are leading yourself into it by sweeping your left arm around. "Sweep the table" as they say.

8. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Head twisted is ok in some cases if you can control it (although I don't recommend it), but definitely not twisting your shoulders to your left unless I am misunderstanding this. You don't want your left shoulder to be open and pulling back, what you want to do is to keep the left shoulder in front (I actually keep my left arm in front, cause that helps keep my left shoulder from pulling back). Don't worry, this will not block your entry into your spin, as you should be waiting for as long as possible for your curve on the ice to take you around, do NOT try to spin too early.

9. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

There is no one way to do anything in skating, so what works for you might be a miserable (or dangerous) failure for someone else. It's good to try different things, so that you expand your skating skills.

I perform/teach camels with the upper-body twist into the spin entry. The outside edge is stronger and faster on the entry with the shoulder checked. Leaving the shoulders square over the hips usually results in a slow, drawn-out and forced entry if the skater doesn't have strong edging and power. To each his own.

I don't like the "arm sweep" entry because I've seen too many skaters turn it into a remake of "The Karate Kid." IMO, it's unneccessary movement that becomes a bad habit if the skater doesn't have upper body control. Its purpose, however, was to initiate the upper-body twist at the end of the entry edge, so if it works and doesn't look like you're attacking an invisible opponent, use it.

I don't make them look at their free foot, either. There were too many imitations of "duck and cover" because their free foot was too low initially. I instead have them keep the free leg up and behind their skating knee and "look to the left." Works for me. ;)

FWIW, I've been to a few coaching seminars where Janet Champion had the demonstrators turn their heads away opposite the spin entry direction. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm not sure what benefit it provides.

For the OP: if this is a new problem with the camel, you probably need your blades sharpened. ;) My camel has never been forgiving on dull blades.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I think the reason several of us suggested twisting the torso to the left on the entrance edge is because the O.P. said she was falling to the right once she got into the spin. This most likely means her free leg was out to the right side, not crossed behind her skating leg and ON the circle during the LFO entrance edge. The easiest way I've found to make sure this doesn't happen is to bend the skating knee very deeply and twist the head and torso to the left on the entrance edge. You may also need to think of lifting the right hip a little, but you need to do so without lifting the right shoulder or chest.

11. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

It's true that there is more than one way of doing a camel spin, the way that helped me was the way that was described before. (In fact, the way I do it, is NOT how my coach teaches it, the technique is the same (of course because she helped me with it), but my position in the camel is a bit different than what she teaches)

Anyways, for the problem with the falling onto the inside of the blade and doing massive circles probably relies more on waiting on the entry edge to get to the top of the circle/curve before getting into the spin, moreso than where the shoulder/head is.

Regardless, it's difficult to say for sure, unless we can see the spin itself! There have been many different suggestions in this thread, hopefully one of them helps! :)

12. sk8starz343

sk8starz343 Member

My coach would tell me to "chase my tail" when that happened. It works!

13. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

hi guys, thanks for all the great advice. would like to put video on from my phone....tho not sure how to do that! i am rubbish with computers! my coach tells me not aggressive enough into spin and not enought knee bend into spin. i think i lift upper body too high. my free leg looks ok , but i shall definately try pulling further across to the left.

14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It takes a lot of strength to get into position quickly and cleanly with your arms and legs fully extended, you may just need more practice. Don't get discouraged.