1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Restoring Files in Word

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 25, 2010.

1. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

I have two files in Word 97-2003 that seem to have been corrupted. When I try to open them I get the "convert file" box and a preview that just shows a bunch of little squares in place of the characters. All the other files that were created by the same version of Word and saved in the same places are fine - it's just these two files that are wonky.

I tried the fixes suggested by Word Help (I'm now in Word 2007) which were basically to save the file in a bunch of different formats (.rtf, .html, and .txt) and then try reopening Word and reopening those files. Nothing worked. Then I tried using the Open and Restore function in Word 2007 and got the "convert file" box again, with the little squares.

This is a text files without any graphics, or appendices, or complicated formatting or anything like that.

Do any of FSU's techy types have any suggestions as to what else I can do? Thanks for any/all suggestions.
  2. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Does it open okay in Wordpad? If so, it's a sign that the conversion system in your 2007 installation is screwed up.
  3. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

If you can do a save as and save the file to your desktop, you might be able to open it with a right click, and "open with".

I have run into that problem (with the little squares) when I have tried to convert files to pdf.....basically it is a mess.

Good luck.

If you have a hard copy...re-type.