Help Me, Cosmetics Fans

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jul 28, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

(sorry, but I can't find the "beauty tips" threads - mods, please merge if you have sharper eyes than me)

I just got a freebie sample that came with a little vial of "corrector". It says on the vial that it is for "wrinkles and pores" but I have no idea how often it is supposed to be applied or when. It has a little plastic applicator stick so I'm guessing it's daubed on to whatever you want to "correct", but do I put it on before bedtime, before moisturizer, or when? All hints appreciated....

2. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I think it's to correct redness and blemishes. If you have only a small stick it's for spots, not your whole face.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

And you put it on with the rest of your makeup in the morning. I put it on after my foundation, but I know some people put it on before. I use it on the dark circles under my eyes, and to cover up pimples and scars.

4. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

What is the product's name? A corrector can mean several things.

5. overedge

6. Gazpacho

In this case, corrector is just a fancy term for serum, in this case a serum targeted toward preventing signs of aging. If it works, you would need to use it at least a month to see results, as is the case for all skin serums. But honestly, it's not that good a serum, and I doubt you'd see meaningful results.

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Overedge, go to your link, it has directions for use :)

8. overedge

I saw that, thanks, cruisin, but the experts here have much better advice :)

9. KCC

KCC Active Member

The best thing I have ever done for my skin was to start taking flax seed oil gel tabs. Our climate is dry and we eat a lower fat diet, so the transformation of my skin was very evident in just a few weeks. Reduced dryness, cleared redness, improved the feel, look and and surface texture. Can't say I ever had significant results from any topical cream or "correctors".

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Huh, I have dry eyes and my doctor (bless him for going the non-drug route) suggested consuming flaxseed oil. I did crack open a capsule for my oatmeal every morning, but found that Amazon sells a giant bottle of it so now I get that instead.

I can't say I've noticed a change in my skin (my skin is oily anyway), but my dry eyes have improved. :)

11. cruisin

Just curious, why did you crack a capsule open? I just take the capsule. Is there some advantage to opening it?

12. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I'm shelling out the bucks for Visionanaire. Why do you think it's not that good? And what do you think is better?

13. overedge

I had the same results with halibut liver oil capsules.

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Cause I put it in my oatmeal (I hate taking pills) and didn't want to wait for the capsule to dissolve. :lol:

15. Gazpacho

I guess it's a matter of your goals and skin type. If your goal is to undo UV damage and wrinkles, as the product claims to do, then this is not a good product. None of the ingredients are backed by clinical evidence. Among department store brands, Estee Lauder's serums have more clinical support.

If you're looking for superficial aesthetic changes, then it may work. But there's a good chance you could get the same results with Olay's serum for a fourth the price.

If you have dry and/or sensitive skin, the amount of alcohol in Visionnaire can make it irritating. But if you don't have dry and/or sensitive skin, then it's not an issue.

http://www.skintour.com is a great site for anti-aging information and product recommendations. The dermatologist that runs the site, Brandith Irwin, has no financial ties to any of the companies--unusual for dermatologists with skin care advice websites.

16. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Thank you! I'm always looking for objective information, the women's magazines are all on the take from advertisers. I don't have dry or sensitive skin, even at this age my skin tends to be oily, and I've seen good results with the Visionnaire but it costs too much. Olay's serum, however, doesn't seem to do a thing for me.

17. Gazpacho

What are you looking for in a serum?

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Olay really doesn't have significant amounts of good any ingredients for it to do much good. If Visionnaire works for you I would keep using it if you can or maybe try something similar from the Shiseido line. Lancôme can be hit or miss for some people, as with any skin care line.

19. Gazpacho

What are you looking for in a serum?

20. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

It's better than the Mary Kay chicks who tell women that they need some $150 face cream in order to look hot, yet are almost always incredibly unappealing themselves.

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i love reading the reviews at beautypedia.com, it relaxes me

22. Gazpacho

Olay's key ingredient is niacinamide. There are academic papers demonstrating benefits of niacinamide such as anti-inflammation. Shiseido's serums are okay, but for the same price you could get serums with more positive scientific evidence.

23. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

There's way better ingredients out there for all types of skin issues than niacinamide. In the skin care industry (as with anything) you get what you pay for and inexpensive brands (like Olay) aren't going to have life changing properties. You don't need to spend $500 for a serum but inexpensive brands won't cut it either. Same with hair, Suave will get the job done but Pureology is much better.

24. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

What I need in a serum is evening of skin tone and "glow" -- when I'm stressed my skin gets very dull looking. Wrinkles aren't that much of a problem, my skin isn't dry and despite years of tanning and smoking I don't have many wrinkles. (So there, fate.) I've been using the Visionaire for more than a year, but if there's something that works better for a comparable price -- I just won't pay over $100 a bottle for anything -- I'm willing to try it.

25. cruisin

26. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Skincare and hair (and apparently vacuum cleaners) are among the few areas where I don't think price means much. It is about the set of ingredients and what works for *you*. Figure out what the key ingredients are in Visionaire and see if they are available in other products. The hard thing to tell is the quantity but how high they are listed in the ingredient list should help.

I did a six month intensive in hair care ingredients and can now tell by looking at the list of ingredients whether the product is going to whack out my hair or not.

27. cruisin

My hair is rather thin, as in sparse. I have tried all sorts of "wonder" treatments. However, the only thing that seems to help is taking Biotin. I read that it would help with hair fallout. And started taking it a few months ago. I don't have a thick head of hair, but it is better than it was.

28. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I am glad that biotin helps. FWIW, I have too much hair so I try to avoid too much protein in hair care products – but that might help you too. Most products usually contain various proteins but hydrolyzed wheat or soy protein, in particular, build up the hair to make it look fuller. Protein needs to be “hydrolyzed” to work in a product. But this type of thing is cosmetic - only works when it is in your hair, and washes down the drain in the shower.

29. Gazpacho

Estee Lauder Idealist serum. Gives your skin a glow and has many antioxidants with backed by research.

You can get a sample packet at an Estee Lauder counter. This page has a list of Estee Lauder gift with purchase deals. Nordstrom also has a nice Estee Lauder gift with purchase going on now. Nordstrom is great in that shipping both ways is free, and you can return an opened product if you don't like it.

30. cruisin

Are you talking about shampoos to make your hair fuller? I've tried those, and they do make my hair appear fuller. However, they change the texture of my hair. They make my hair stiff and dull. I guess that, if I have to make the choice, I opt for silkier and shiny.