Help and encouragement needed from fitness gurus

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Avid Lurker, May 27, 2010.

1. Avid Lurker

Avid Lurker New Member

I recently received a stern lecture from my doctor about my blood pressure, "bad" cholesterol and blood sugar all being too high (way too high in the case of my blood sugar - the word "prediabetes" was used and that definitely got my attention!)

I am a 45 year old female otherwise in good health.

I have started walking on a treadmill. Over the last seven weeks I have worked up to 45 to 50 minutes on the treadmill, incline 8.0 and speed between 3.5 and 3.7 (a brisk walk for me). I do this at least five times a week. The exercise has definitely had a positive impact on my mood, and my clothes feel a bit looser. I don't know if I have actually lost any pounds - my doctor would like me to lose 40 pounds. I am not weighing myself yet because in the past I have found that to be discouraging. For now, I am going by how I feel and I must say I feel more energetic and happier overall.

What treadmill speed, incline and duration would you recommend to address these health concerns? My main concern is to get my "numbers" back down with the hope that the weight will take care of itself. How long should I wait before having the blood tests done again to measure any improvement? I don't want to look for improvement too soon and get discouraged. I am prepared to be patient and am giving myself one year - after all, it took me about 20 years of inactivity to get this way! I'm trying not to kick myself too much but I do feel down on myself for having let this happen.

Any tips and encouragement would be very much appreciated.

2. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

First of all, FABULOUS, good for you gettin' out there and taking care of business!

Treadmill is a great start. Do you belong to a gym? Some light weights might complement your cardio routine nicely.

Perhaps also look into a cardio class (they have them for ALL levels) or some power-walking outside in the fresh air. Mixing up your workout keeps things interesting.

Nice that you noticed an increase in energy and better moods, I always found the best way to attack a workout is to listen to your body. Makes a workout something you want to do as opposed to something you feel you have to do!

You're on the right track, keep up the good work! :cheer2:

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the exercise program! (I didn't start mine until after I had a heart attack ... so don't blame yourself for anything -- you started early enough).

Can't advise you on the treadmill, since I prefer walks, but I do recommend that you watch what you eat and add in more fresh fruit and veggies. I kept a journal of what I ate, calories and cholesterol -- combined with the exercise -- and I found that, 6 months after my heart attack (which was almost 5 years ago) I was 30 pounds lighter and two dress sizes smaller. The lift to my morale from getting my clothes taken in or replaced, combined with the health concerns, has helped me keep the weight off.

Again, kudos to you -- and keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Avid Lurker

Avid Lurker New Member

Thank you both! Attyfan, you are my hero. I will think of your success and be inspired when I start feeling discouraged.

Fergus, I do not belong to a gym. I have a treadmill in my basement -it made a lovely sculpture/clothes hanger until recently. Two months ago, I would have been more likely to fly to the moon than set foot in a gym but now? Weights sound like a good idea.

5. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

First off, congrats and good on ya for your accomplishments over the last 7 weeks! The fact you feel happier and have more energy are great results. I'm happy for you. :)

Don't feel down or discouraged.....like you said, it took a while to get to this point, but you recognized it and are doing something about it. That's empowering!!

I agree, some light weights would be beneficial. They're cheap enough at a place like Target and the benefits will be worth it.

One thing that will help get the numbers down is how you're eating as well. Are there any "bad" foods you've cut out or cut down on?

6. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

doing treadmill is GREAT for blood sugars! keep an eye on your carbs and sugar intake, and really pay attention to food labels. did your doctor happen to give you any information about a diabetic diet plan? any weight loss will also change your blood sugars. they say that as small as a 5% loss in weight can have a big change. it's really hard to change your eating habits, so don't get too down on yourself if you aren't perfect right away. and don't push yourself too hard too soon, you don't want to start hating your exercise and diet and find reasons to quit. i don't know if any of my info is useful to you, but i have been a diabetic for 23 years...type 1, and also a certified personal trainer.

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

You're on the right track with the exercise. Keep that up, and vary it - don't always walk on the treadmill; you'll get bored. Try other things that you think you might like as well as the treadmill. Go outside for walks, try swimming, ballroom dance, whatever floats your boat. Join a gym, if you want to. Start pilates or yoga.

Mix other things into your routine, so you don't get bored, and so you enhance the aerobic work you're doing on the treadmill.

Others have suggested changes in diet. I recommend that as well. Diet is often an important component of managing things like HBP, pre-diabetes, etc. Did your doctor talk to you about that at all? It's really important.

This change needs to include both exercise *and* a change in diet. And I'm not saying that you have to "go on a diet" at all - this particular change isn't focused on weight loss, although it could lead to that. What I'm saying is that by changing what you're eating, you could very well lower your blood sugar and etc.

8. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Wow, Avid Lurker, you and I have a lot in common. I could have written your message except that I'm 55.

I too got the blood pressure, pre-diabetic, high cholesterol lecture about a month ago, plus I found out I have Lyme disease and have a sluggish thyroid. No wonder I was feeling that crushing fatigue. In early April I got on the scale and saw this number: 199.8. I realized that if I made a u-turn right that minute, I wouldn't hit 200 pounds. I too thought that laying off the scale this time around would be a good idea. I too feel a lot better already but there's a long way to go. I've lost 15 pounds (didn't totally abandon the scale) and have been very physically active as always but without introducing a formal exercise regimen, which I'll do soon. I cut out sweets except fruit, reduced portion size, and am focusing on nutritionally dense foods that are satisfying and still very healthy. Trying to avoid the white stuff: rice, white bread, white potatoes.

In order to get a reading on your diabetes numbers, you need to wait three months to do the blood test again. That's the life span of a red blood cell. As my doctor explained it to me, the oldest cells show a history of your blood sugar over that three month period, something like the sugar glazing on a donut was what she said.

We can do this!

9. Avid Lurker

Avid Lurker New Member

Thanks, all - especially Aimless - it's good not to feel alone in this! We CAN do it!

With respect to diet, I have been advised to eat more veggies and whole grains, cut down on sweets and the white stuff (bread, rice and of course refined sugar). I love good food so I am focusing on choosing foods that are both delicious and good for me. Last night I splurged on some out of season raspberries and they were delicious.

Based on the advice upchain I am going to start recording what I eat. I sort of hate the idea but it will make me more accountable to myself - otherwise it's easy to "forget" that I had a chocolate bar at lunchtime, another for a mid-afternoon snack, another one in front of the TV ...

10. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Having been in your shoes before (pun intended) with very similar symptoms and diagnoses, I tried treadmill walking with a vengeance about 3 years ago, using the exact same settings. I got to a level where I walked 4 or 5 half marathons over a 2 year period. But from experience, treadmill walking alone isn't going to be the magic solution if you want to lose weight and control blood pressure and cholesterol.

During 2009, I lost 55 pounds through a number of factors:
    • Making massive changes to diet over time. This is the key to weight loss and accounts for probably 75% of my weight loss. Treadmill walking and working out helps, but it's only effective if you do it in conjunction with a good diet and get a positive, reinforcing spiral going.
      • Learning to eat right, and eat less, over time is key.
      • See a nutritionist and use a diet/activity/lifestyle log like Fitday.com religiously.
      • No more soda, no more fast food, no more fried foods, no more processed foods. Now. Right this minute. Promise me.
    • Working out right. Over time, you will find, as I did, that you'll hit a wall with repetitive, non-stop treadmill workouts, even if you can do them for long amounts of time (45-60 minutes or more) by plopping a copy of The Economist on the treadmill stand like I do.
      • To really get your metabolism going, you need to work out in a full gym and incorporate resistance/strength training into your workout (lifting weights) in addition to varying your cardio workouts by diversifying away from treadmill walking and towards biking, rowing, and/or ellipticals. Building muscle, in addition to cardio, boosts your metabolism much more effectively than treadmills/cardio alone.
      • You also need to challenge your body by doing different things, and over time, doing more of each thing, and harder.
        • Even if you stick with the treadmill, just don't do it quite as often, like 5x/week, otherwise you risk getting yourself injured or getting tendinitis over time like I have.
        • Instead, try intervals. If you get bored with a certain speed, say 3.6 mi/hr, try running for 60 seconds at 4.5-5.0/hr and see if you can hold out. Then take a break for 60 seconds (or 90 or 120 to catch you breath) at a slower, more sustainable speed, like 3.5 mi/hr. Incorporate incline intervals in combination with speed intervals as you get comfortable. All this will help you ramp up your speed and endurance very quickly.
      • Try working out with a trainer. It's expensive, but if you have the right fit - an encouraging trainer with a positive attitude - it can do wonders for your day-to-day motivation.
    Hope this helps - because trust me, I have been in your shoes and I've been there, done that. The weight isn't going to come off right away, but for a while in the 2nd half of 2009, I had all the right engines firing at the same time - good diet, good workout, focused like a laser - and I dropped the weight steadily, so much so that the more I lost, the more encouragement I got to stick with the diet and continue ramping up my workouts. My daily weight chart from that period is almost a perfect "y = -x" equation.

Since then, I've kept at the same weight (can still afford to lose 25-30 more pounds) because I've been busy relocating cross-country and preparing for some major certification exams in the next few weeks, but once that's over, I'm very psyched about hitting the gym religiously again next month and devoting more time to cooking for myself (instead of eating takeout). That having been said, I'm very pleased that I have been able to stay at my new weight (and not revert into the same old bad eating habits) despite not working out much.

11. Avid Lurker

Avid Lurker New Member

UMBS Go Blue: I have printed out your posting to keep as a reminder. I hear you on hitting the wall with the treadmill. Variety is good. Boredom will lead me back to the couch.

I can agree to no more soda and no more fried foods. No fast food will be hard because I'm used to living off foodcourt food (which probably explains a lot about where I find myself now). But I will try to make better choices. My husband has also offered to make me healthy lunches to bring to work so I can avoid the foodcourt altogether.

12. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Oh, and of course, as for exercise, start off with baby steps, and as you get going and feel more confident, progress towards larger steps if you feel your body can take it. But don't push too hard if you feel anything uncomfortable or painful here and there.

Which is why working with a trainer would really help; they'll help you find a good balance between not pushing yourself enough and pushing yourself too hard.

13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Bringing healthy lunches to work will save money too! :)

Eating healthy is a huge component of being healthy in general. My stomach finally revolted after bad eating habits (I wasn't doing a whole lot of junk food, just bad eating schedule and more-than-occasional TV dinners) and I had to nurse it back to health with organic, unprocessed stuff. I feel so much better, and I've even noticed there's been less plaque on my teeth, which had been a major problem of mine the last few years. (It's random I know, but an observation...)

It doesn't have to be labeled as diet foods - just unprocessed. Whole unprocessed foods are so much better for you. You really do get used to the new taste, and it's more flavorful to boot, instead of just salt, sugar, and fat.

Now food court stuff makes me go eeeeugghhhhh. :yikes: I still have a weakness for sugar though. :lol:

Keep going! It's great that you're starting this now. My mom didn't listen to her doctor when he warned her she was on the cusp of osteoporosis, and now she has to take hardcore pills for it. :(

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I am a Type 1 diabetic who, last January, had my doctor nearly shoot me when my test scores came back and my A1C was above 9 and my cholesterol, lipids, and blood pressure were terrible.

I immediately read Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels and went on a diet I can easily relate to you if you'd like, but I'd prefer not to write it all out out here.

Two months later, all my scores were the best they'd ever been since I got the disease when I was 9, and I'd lost 13 pounds... without working out at all (I am now; I didn't have time during the semester).

Diet is a vital component of fighting off such things, and I've never been happier or healthier. The massive, immediate weight loss has leveled off, of course, as it should, but I'm still going and still seeing results :)

And good for you for taking control of your life and taking this step! :)

15. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Mega congratulations on what you've accomplished. Your blood work would probably show improvement already -- six weeks seem to be the time they give to check those things at my doctor's office. I will note that after I began a sustained, intense exercise program my good cholesterol number shot WAY up, and so even though my bad cholesterol went down, the overall cholesterol number was higher than before, though my doctor said that was okay.

I'd be careful about doing so much walking at such a high incline. You hit a certain age, and plantar fasciatis and achilles tendinitis crop up really regularly, and are hell to get rid of once they start. I was walking 4 1/2 miles 5 times a week and ended up with some problems that are still not fully resolved four years later -- and I love to walk. One of the first things the podiatrist said was avoid doing a lot of walking at a significant incline.

Alternatively, have you looked into trying an elliptial machine and moving into walk/jogging on it?

16. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

That's really interesting. I walk at least 4 times a week at least 30 minutes at a time, sometimes on a treadmill and sometimes outside. I have increased the incline and speed gradually. I kind of had to in order to get my heart rate up as high as I want it at times. No troubles with tendonitis or plantar fasciatis, but I'm careful to have rest days and also don't wear the same pair of shoes for walks two days in a row. I started walking to make sure my bone density test results don't get worse and perhaps will improve, and I need the heel strike for that, so the elliptical won't do the job in that regard.

Anyway, good luck, Avid Lurker. Sounds like you've made a good start.

17. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Congrats! It is just a huge initiative to get the motivation to exercise and start eating better. It gets hard when you're in a rut. You definitely seem to have the motivation.

In my case, basically I put on 15-20lbs after high school. I never realized how easy it is to put on weight. In high school I could eat whatever I wanted, because I spent at least 11-12 hours a week exercising. I ran cross country in the fall, played tennis in the spring and was skating at least once or twice a week 2-3 hours at a time. I was burning everything off...but once I got to college, not exercising, stressing over tests, essays, partying on the weekends and eating Taco Bell at weird hours of the morning, it just all added up. I'm not overweight, but I could see myself easily sliding down a slippery slope if I kept it up. I've tried everything over the past three years to get into shape, but I realized I was doing it for the wrong reasons and kept slipping into old habits. I wanted to *look* fit, not actually be fit. I just wanted a hot body. And that's the reason why most people diet/exercise.

My dad was morbidly obese when he got gastric bypass back in 03', and now he's lost over 150lbs and is in shape. He also played semi-pro baseball in the 70s, so while my family is athletic, we just don't eat right. Plus, my dad is 1/4 Chickasaw, and its an understatement to say that Native Americans are terribly prone to diabetes and other complications. His brother and sister are both diabetic, and there are a lot of strokes in the family as well.

Basically, I realized that I can exercise all you want, but if you're not eating right (or only eating right with no working out) you're only solving half the problem. That was my problem, and I never want to get to the point where he got, diabetic, high blood pressure, etc. So now I try to look at keeping fit as not just a way to squeeze into your favorite pair of jeans. I want to be healthy and while I may not have the best genes, I do have the power to control how my body works and what I put into it. Its cliche, but its the little things - getting diet or lowfat instead of regular, walking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further away from the supermarket - that really get you in the right frame of mind. 'Cause it is a lifestyle change, its not a temporary thing that you can do for six months then go back to normal. Now, I try to run or bike for at least an hour a day, and I just avoid sugar and high fats, though of course I splurge. In my case it was a Cosmorita last night. If you deprive yourself you'll break down and binge (like me) so its OK to eat that brownie, just not everyday.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I hope that you are able to get healthy and at the same time feel good about everything you're doing. Weight and health problems are something that almost everyone struggles with nowadays, and you're definitely on the right path.

birdgal and (deleted member) like this.
  18. KatieC

KatieC On hold

I am finding my elliptical very boring unless I have a very exciting movie or TV show to watch at the same time - I had great numbers during the Olympics! (When things are exciting on the screen - I go faster and longer without really noticing.)

Have you ever thought of ice skating for an alternative exercise? I can't go as often as I used to - but it turned into a phenomenal way to get/keep in shape. You don't have to do spins and jumps and stuff - just skate around for an hour with a friend. It's fun, and you get the benefits without huffing and puffing.

All the best with your journey.

birdgal and (deleted member) like this.
  19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

congratulations on your start. That is one of the biggest hurdles, getting started.

I have lost nearly 30 pounds in the last year. Part of it was portion control. In the US portions are way to large and many of us have the "clean your plate - you are not leaving the table until you finish you dinner, do you know how many starving children in Africa would want your food" mentality. Part of is exercise.

The treadmill worked great for me until it fried - literally - during a thunderstorm/power outage. So make sure that you have a power surge protector for the plug in.

The elliptical is ok, but unlike many people who find it better on the knees - my knees didn't like the stress. I love our wii fit plus that our kids gave us for Christmas. We also walk, a lot. I am totally surprised at the number of walking trails in our city.

Find an exercise partner. Hedwig and Chelle and I are tracking our minutes of exercise with each other. My cousin has a work-out challenge with her friends on facebook, for a small entrance fee we compete against each other. This is my fourth one and although I have won any of the "pots" it is fun to hear what others are doing AND it is a way of staying committed to the goal.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Congratulations and good luck, Avid Lurker.

If you can keep at your exercise regime for six months to one year it gets easier to maintain because your body gets used to and enjoys it.

I've been going to a gym for about four-five years now and am not really enthusiastic about it anymore, to be honest. I used to religiously put in about eight hours a week, but now I just go when I can - preferably four times a week for an hour - 1.5 hours.

It's become sort of tedious and I often don't feel like going. Like today, when I was very tired and stressed out, feeling the pull of inertia.

But I went to the gym anyway because I knew that I would feel better and less tired afterward. It is the mental health benefits that ultimately keep me going back.

21. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

If you can, try working with a personal trainer. It doesn't have to be a long term thing -- maybe once a week for 4 weeks? The benefits of a personal trainer is that he or she will understand what your goals are and help you design a workout plan that will work for you. After you stop working with the trainer, you will still have these workouts/exercises. I recently worked with a trainer for about 9 weeks. While I have yet to actually go back to the written workout plans he designed for me (I will, someday soon), I've been able to take these exercises and incorporate them into my own plan. Prior to the training, I usually just got on the elliptical for 20-30 minutes and that was that. Occasionally I used some of the machines at the gym. Through time with my trainer, he explained that I was better off mixing cardio and weights to my routine (even if I only had 20-30 minutes to spend at the gym) than to spend 20-30 minutes just doing cardio. Moreover, I learned about interval training and realized that doing 10 minutes of cardio with intervals (ie: hard for 30 seconds, easy for 1 minute) was better for me and produced better results than going at an even pace for 20 minutes. I also learned that I should mix up what kind of cardio I did (I hated the bike, but now I try and use the bike a couple times a week). Now, I usually warm up with 10 minutes of cardio intervals then spend 30 minutes on the machines/light weights/pushups/situps before cooling down on with intervals on the bike for 10 minutes or get on the treadmill.

It might be helpful to introduce jogging to your routine. Cool Running's Couch-to-5k Running Plan is really helpful. They want you to go slowly and recommend repeating weeks as many times as necessary until you feel comfortable to move on. I followed this plan a couple years ago and then life got in the way with grad school, but I just added it back into my exercise routine. It's doable too. The first week consists of alternating 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds walking. Intervals.

Anyway, good luck!

22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Keep up the exercise, in any way, shape, or form! My MIL has great success in keeping her blood sugar down with just half an hour of walking each day, plus she feels better too. I agree with all the advice to vary things to keep it interesting, and I'm with Japanfan that exercise has DEFINITE mental health benefits, too!

My hubby has hereditary bad cholesterol and triglycerides. Once after his triglycerides were through the roof (unmeasurably high) he finally gave up the sugary lemonade he loved so much. That made a difference.

The other thing that has helped us both? South Beach Diet. First time in my life I think you could accuse me of being trendy. Essentially, give up sweets and sugar except very rarely, eat only whole grains and go easy on them (breads, cereals, rolls etc), eat lots of veggies, beans and LEAN meat--that's the essence of South Beach. it takes some getting used to and rethinking of old habits and finding different ways to satisfy the cravings, but hubby's triglycerides and cholesterol are far better on a South Beach-style eating habit.

Good luck and take good care of yourself!

23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

This is a bit off topic, but something that perplexes me:

My MIL did very well on the South Beach diet and I don't really know much about it - but I do remember her making egg-white omelets and since then I've encountered others who say that egg-white omelets are a dietary mainstay. . .

I just couldn't get excited about any diet that included egg-white omelets. An egg isn't an egg without the yolk and I couldn't fool myself into thinking otherwise. IMO, I'd rather just skip the omelet and breakfast altogether.

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

You could possibly use egg substitute instead. The problem with eating egg yolks every single day is that, while chock full of protein, they also contain 210 mg of cholesterol and we're only allowed I believe 300. So if you're eating even one egg yolk every day, chances are you are consuming well over your daily allotted amount of cholesterol. That's not good.

And skipping breakfast is a terrible idea :p

25. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

Raspberries and blackberries are actually good for diabetics. Cherries and grapes are BAD BAD BAD. Just ask my type 2 diabetic non insulin fiance. He had the riot act read to him about that. If you are trying to lower blood sugar, lower the carbs(quinoa is a good alternate for rice) and watch the sugars. Low fat food often contain A LOT of sugar to make them taste good. Even though you arent diabetic, perhaps looking into a diabetic cook book would be a good thing. Also, the south beach diet (not the diet itself but the way to eat ) is good. Hubby sticks to the outline of it but not the exact diet itself. Remember portion size and moderation. Have that cake, but not everyday...

26. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Oh, man, don't be freakin' reminding me about that!! I've had Achilles tendinitis in BOTH ankles since the age of 13, yet it's really backed off in recent years. It used to be hell when I'd wake up in the morning with a double flare-up and not be able to walk without limping. I found that it flares up after a period of non-exercise, and I have to keep on exercising on a regular basis in order to keep it in check, or I get antoher flare-up.

The plantar fasciitis is a recent development, though, and it really flared up last winter to the point where I couldn't dance on it or walk (for exercise) on it. The only thing I could do was just to stay off of it, which seems to have done the trick, because I have been walking and dancing on it for almost 2 months with no problems.

27. DanRad

DanRad New Member

You don't have to be tied to an exercise machine to reach your weight goal. You can lose weight from activities such as vacuuming, walking, swimming, climbing stairs, dancing etc). Instead of constantly monitoring your weight, monitor your calorie, fiber, and salt intake as well as how much calories you burn off per day. You can just check your weight once a week. Btw, you're allowed to lose 10% of your weight within 6 months. Don't rush it. Find a health provider (ie doctor, pharmacist, nurse or dietitian) who can help you create your MEAL AND EXERCISE PLAN. It's very involving but worth it. Don't just rely on an exercise guru, get some advice from a dietitian as well.

28. Avid Lurker

Avid Lurker New Member

I am updating this post, which I started one year ago.

I have been exercising regularly for the past year. Until four months ago I just wasn't ready to tackle my bad eating habits. Then, around the new year, I felt like it was time. I started making small, sustainable changes to my diet, mostly cutting back on salt, sugar and animal fats and replacing them with fruit, veggies, whole grains and lean protein.

I'm happy to say that it seems to be working!

I lost 14 pounds in one year, which likely makes me a Slowest Loser candidate. I have gone down two sizes (from a 16 to a 12) so I believe most of my weight loss was fat.

My blood pressure and blood sugar have both dropped to within the normal range. My triglycerides are down from crazy high to just slightly above normal. The treadmill test shows that my fitness level is much improved. And my liver is happier - it isn't "fatty" anymore and my liver enzymes are normal!

I still have a long way to go. My cholesterol is remains high, and I have quite a bit of body fat to lose. And all of my numbers have room for improvement.

I'm happier and have more energy. I actually enjoy food more now - I think all the fat, sugar and salt impaired my ability to enjoy the taste of fresh, real food. And I love the benefits of exercise - I never want to give it up. It took me a while to find the right path but there's no stopping me now.

I hope next year the news is even better!

29. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I hope so too. Great job! :cheer:

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Congrats. I'm a treadmill person and will share what works for me. I alternate days of low incline (no higher than 5) with days of the "hill" setting where I go up for 5 minutes, then down for 5, then up again. My warmup pace is 3.2-3.5 depending on how cold it is in the gym. I strive do do at least 20 minutes at 4.0 on my low incline days. On hill days, I go up at 3.7, and down at 4.0. Oh, and I lift weights 3 days a week.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing well.