Heavy snow causes Metrodome roof to collapse in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, Dec 12, 2010.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:lol: Snow in Minnesota, who'd have predicted that? :wall: An inflatable roof that didn't take winter into account doesn't seem to be a smart idea.
  3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

The 'dome has been around for 28 years, and this was a record snowstorm here. We had 17 inches of snow fall within a 16 hour span...I don't think anyone could have predicted what ended up happening. The high winds meant that workers couldn't keep up with clearing snow off the top, either.

Overall, a really scary day yesterday. Horrible, horrible weather. :(
  4. swtblueeyes

swtblueeyes New Member

Reminds me of the Olympic Stadium roof in Montreal, we've had this problem more than once.
  5. missflick

missflick New Member

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

There is talk of this being the impetus for Vikings to leave, ouch. Missed game being played tonight in Detroit. How many fans will make the trip? Hopefully out of towners from the Green Bay game will stay over for this one. PS. The tickets are free!
  7. Icetalavista

Icetalavista New Member

There is discussion about how the Vikings management/owners will spin this to ask, yet again, for a new stadium. Evidently they're playing it cool right now - not bringing it up *right away* in order not to alienate people.

I don't give a rip about football or the Vikes, but many, many, many Minnesotans do. Amazing how all the chatter about govt being too big and taxes being too much flies out the window when football stadia funding (or any pro sport) is involved.

Moi, I'm just happy my plowed-in vehicle here in Saint Paul didn't get ticketed and towed!
  8. chipso1

I doubt the Vikings will get a new stadium out of this. The Dome is repairable. I may be wrong, but I can't see them getting (or deserving) a new stadium until they have a few respectable years in a row. There simply doesn't seem to be the interest among taxpayers here.
  9. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Seriously. The taxes in downtown Minneapolis are already horrific! Almost 8 percent on non food, and 10 percent in restaurants...
  10. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Meanwhile I had to chuckle at the joke going around twitter yesterday that "even God wants Favre to retire". :lol:
  11. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My husband's lunatic friend in St Paul has concocted an entire conspiracy theory in which the Metrodome roof did not collapse but rather was destroyed in a controlled demolition in order to make the city build the Vikings a new stadium. The Giants were also in on it and were not really stranded in KC, but wanted to help by making sure the game was postponed so they pretended to not be able to get a flight.

He posted on Facebook that his not quite 4 year old son concurs with the whole theory.

:slinkaway
  12. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Heard on the radio today that the Pontiac Silverdome (Lion's old stadium) has the same roof and they have some panels in storage that they are sending to help with the rebuild. Someone from Lions texted the NFL offering Ford Field for Monday's game. Free tickets (30,000) gone in 90 minutes!
  13. chipso1

Good thing I live in the 'burbs! :p

But yes, it does suck to pay for stuff when I do go downtown.
  14. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

:lol:

That's a new one on me. What a nut case!
  15. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Where I live it's 13% on everything. But that's another discussion...

:lol: