Hearsay: Aliona Savchenko may continue competing with a new partner...

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Elena Vaitsekhovskaya spoke to Artur Dmitriev in Saitama - link to her blog: http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/42729/
    Relevant excerpt (via Google Translate):
    Lynn Rutherford tweeted earlier today:
    "KKany reports Aliona Savchenko said she & coach Steuer might announce her new partner at an exhibition in Chemnitz in 4 wks"

ETA that Ingo Steuer used to coach Popova/Massot - he's listed in their ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013737.htm
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. annabrown

annabrown Member

Massot!?!? That would be crazy. What does she think she will accomplish with that weak skater.
  3. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Uhm...Masot is dire.
  4. annabrown

annabrown Member

Massot would also be crazy to leave his current partnership for Savchenko. Savchenko will get frusterated and dump him within 2 months, and then he will have nobody. Talk about stepping out of your league.
  5. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Massot is a consistent jumper. He rarely misses a 3S, 3T or 2A.
    He is used to Ingo's technique on twists and throws. By the way, Popova/Massot have a better triple twist than S/S, and Popova is not a light-weight Chinese girl.
    Massot is taller than Robin and is an excellent lifter too.
    As a pair skater, Robin is a legend with amazing strength and power, but Bruno is an underappreciated talent. I wish he found stronger partners before and now he has the opportunity to skate with Aliona, the very best in the business.
  6. annabrown

annabrown Member

If Bruno is such a talent why is he always 15th at worlds and 10th at Europeans. Who would they even be coached by if she is moving to France. Steuer or would they be coached by Massot's current coach.
  7. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

8. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I had dreams of Aliona skating with some great male pairs skater who is either unpaired or floundering with an unequal partner. Someone like Brubaker or Tran. But Massot. I have to admit that before this news, I didn't even know who he was.
  9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Well, that would explain why Daria Popova looked so grumpy during the pairs competition, especially in the K&C. But we don't know for sure that it is Massot.
  10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Is this yet another example of someone chasing that elusive Olympic Gold medal when they should probably be thinking about retiring? She's going to be 31 and there is no way she will achieve the same results with a new partner.
  11. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Well... Who better can she get?

Massot is consistant, he is familiar with Steuer's technique and has been at his rink, he is tall enough and strong enough. he is French - part of EU like Germany. I wont say this with 100% but I think it makes it easier for them to sort out citizenship if 2018 is the goal.
  12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

After their skates here, I have no doubt Popova and Massot are going to split. He's lucky she didn't murder him in his sleep. Aliona must reeeeaaaaallllly want to continue skating is all I can say, but if the male partner can do the heavy work, the female partner can earn the points. Of course, that means you don't fall on nothing like Bruno did in the free skate. They'd skate for Germany and he'd move.
  13. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Popova could not land a jump all year and has been struggling with injuries. You are as good as your weakest link.
    Massot is going to surprise a lot people.
  14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Perhaps when Aliona has a time to think - and is away from the intense training and competition - she may realize she could find something else to do. Not that she shouldn't skate. But sometimes it is easier to stay with the familiar than to declare that part "complete".
  15. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel New Member

Amen to that:D Thing is, it is said that S/S have signed a preliminary 3 years contract with Art on Ice .... she won´t be jobless
  16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Who are the others? :shuffle: Aliona just won Worlds, she is (arguably) the best pairs woman around and she doesn't have any serious injury issues AFAIK. If she wants to continue competing, why shouldn't she?
  17. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Rodnina could never call it quits :D
  18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Can Aliona skate with Robin at Art on Ice and skate with a different partner for eligible competitions at the same time? I don't mean 'as per rules' but physically- is that possible to skate with two different partners in nearly the same time frame?
  19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

If all pairs only skated for a gold medal, most would have to quit except for about 5 or 6 pairs. If she can continue then she should if she wants to. She is one of the best ladies pairs skaters, even after all this time.
  20. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel New Member

I think that's what might have been considered with the word "preliminary". That doesn´t sound like a definite contract to me. I´m still stumbling across that word.... that seems to be Alionas plan B , for not being "jobless" in the end. But who knows......
  21. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I take it she and Robin do not want to try to cash in by doing tons of shows in Asia and Europe?
  22. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel New Member

For Aliona, if the question competition or show comes up, I think she´ll go with competition. As for both of them (S/S) not competing anymore, I don´t see a reason why they shouldn´t try to cash. It´s no secret that they were paid crap plus have to pay their coach for themselves.
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I remember the excitement when S/S paired up, but he wasn't the Robin Szolkowy he later became. He had a lot of unused potential.

Whether they skate for GER or FRA, he wouldn't have to lose French citizenship, as a holder of an EU passport.
  24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

That would suck for Popova if Massot left her considering she came to France to try and make the Olympics. They didnt go due to citizenship issues, and then to be dumped. It would be almost cruel.
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Because Popova is always making mistakes on the jumps. Not only that but, in the 2014 Worlds FS ,she has also made him fall by cutting him under... :slinkaway

I don't know what the issue with her is but judging from her facial expressions and body language, she seems really tense and nervous when competing.

He, on the other hand, seems to be a very strong and consistent partner.

He almost never missed his sbs jumps and P/M have a huge triple twist despite Popova being larger than an average pairs girl.

So he deserves respect.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  26. judgejudy27

I think it is a false rumor and Popova and Massot will stay together and Savchenko will keep looking or retire.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  27. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

:confused:
  28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I think he'd be crazy not to. I was intrigued by Popova and Massot's potential at first, but they're going nowhere.
  29. blue_idealist

Yeah. It would be as bad as if Van Cleave, having just got German citizenship, dumped Vartmann for her!
  30. blue_idealist

If she's into trying out with French guys, I just had another thought, what has Yannick Bonheur been up to?
  31. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Oh no YAnnick cannot jump to save his life !

Massot is irregular and I am not sure he'll have the commitment needed there :(
  32. judgejudy27

Massot is a better pairs skater than him. He is actually pretty good. Not sure if he is OGM caliber or not with any partner though, and that is obviously all she is after.
  33. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

No idea if this report is true, but as others have noted, Savchenko and Steuer should have a pretty good idea about Massot's potential as a skater and a partner for Aliona. While P/M haven't done all that well, much of it is due to Popova (and the injury this season), and it's not like Robin Szolkowy was considered an elite skater when he and Savchenko paired up.

If this does happen, I wonder what country they'd skate for? It would probably be easier to get funding if they represent France, but I can't see Steuer and Savchenko relocating and citizenship would be an issue if they stay in Germany.
  34. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Maybe it'd be better for them to stay in Germany. Although they probably have very little political power, the French Federation has proven time and time again that they seriously suck at politicking.
  35. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If Massot can't go to the Olympics because Popova can't get French citizenship, it would be a valid reason for him to split with her, if he's aiming for the Olympics. Takahashi had every reason to drop Tran when the Olympics became her goal, even if others thought her priorities were wrong, because he couldn't get Japanese citizenship.

I disagree. What did Massot get for skating with Popova for his own country? It would be analogous if he had gotten Russian citizenship for skating with Popova and then dumped her to skate with Volosozhar, or if Popova got French citizenship for skating with Massot, but then dumped him for Bernadis (if he were still skating).
  36. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Somehow I could not imagine Aliona with a different partner. Hardly anyone in her league...
  37. care bear

care bear Active Member

They can skate for France because of money, but train in Chemnitz because the life there is very cheap compare with other German cities.
  38. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can get French citizenship if you're living in Germany.
  39. sus2850

sus2850 Member

They cannot possibly skate for France, Ingo and Aliona are deeply rooted in Chemnitz. But Bruno needs to move over soon to be able to get citizenship in time for 2018. Maybe he can impress with his German sounding first name. He is a good skater and might be a great partner for Aliona.
  40. icellist

icellist New Member

I agree with most people that Bruno was the stronger of the pair. I really don't think she would've went with Tran. Brubaker on the other hand could've worked, didn't he marry Stefania Berton and have a possible access to EU passport? Massot was probably a more comfortable choice being taller, already part of EU and under Steur.