Hearing Aid Advice

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

An elderly relative needs a hearing aid and my Mom asked if I had any advice or recommendations. I would have thought their doctor would have picked one and fitted it, but they don't seem to have made a specific recommendation.

Does anyone have any experience - good or bad - with hearing aids and any suggestions of what they should be looking for?

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

3. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Make sure the wearer can manage the adjustments. Some require a touch to change the reception, and that can be difficult for an elderly person.
    My ancient mother is forever losing her hearing aid. It is in the bedclothes, in a pocket, on the floor. She even stepped on one while wearing a cast and smashed it. So it is important for the wearer to develop a habit of always putting the H A back in its case whenever it isn't in the ear.

Generally they try to use the smallest earpiece possible, but that depends on the person's anatomy and extent of hearing loss. If you go to a long-established H A supplier they will give you good advice.