Headcase Renaissance?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pinky166, Dec 12, 2010.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Czisny just won the GPF, Kostner came in 2nd with no flip or lutz, and Verner skated his fourth solid FS of the season there.

All three skaters made coaching changes after last season.

Czisny looks poised to medal at nationals and maybe even Worlds, and Carolina and Tomas appear to be the frontrunners for gold going into Europeans.

Is this all a coincidence that this is happening at the same time, or can it be explained. Also, will it last?

Discuss.

2. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Didn't you get the memo?

Hell froze over. :)

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  3. dundas

dundas Banned Member

Koster only attempted 3s, 3t and 3lo. It's really embarrassing to see European ladies except Russians Jr. winning world/European medals with this sort of jump content.

4. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Kostner has some sort of "excuse", given that her knee isn't holding up, though it does baffle me why she is holding off medical treatment when she needs surgery. These types of injuries don't get better on their own.

5. pinky166

Still. She had trouble landing even those jumps last season.

6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Let's see another competition through first. For Czisny at least, that happens to be....US Nationals.

7. dundas

dundas Banned Member

One Kostner winning medals with those jumps was always too much in the past. We got another double-jump queen Lepisto winning a world bronze medal last year. How dreadful!! Thanks God, she's not competing this season.

Think about it. All top 6 ladies at JGPF had 7-triple programs, on the other hand, the World/European Sr. medalists can not land do a 3lutz or 3flip!!! :lol::lol:

8. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Kostner can land flips and lutzes, she's just injured. She's been struggling with her jumps for quite a while, but that doesn't mean she doesn't know how to land a flip :rolleyes:

besides, I've seen many girls (Kostner included) who were incredible jumpers when still teenagers or juniors but then they grew up and the jumps went away, so who knows what happens to those JGPF ladies in a couple of years?

9. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

I suppose I was dreaming when Kostner won 2 GPF bronze medals, 3 european titles, 1 bronze and 1 silver world medal with flip and lutz. Reading this forum looks like it actually never happened. She's a lepisto now.

As for the question, I don't think Kostner is a good example of coaching change. Frank Carroll tried to change her whole technique, which was the only thing that was working, yes she improved her spins a lot, but she lost all her best jumps and combinations. Not to mention the relationship coach/skater.
    So she came back where she belongs, Oberstdorf. I actually would have liked her to try some other coach rather than Huth but I think this time it's more about feeling comfortable, close to home and more relaxed than just about the coach.

Alissa is a much better example of coaching change. I think there is no "perfect" coach, but the right coach for each, different skater and this may change during a lifetime just like one changes as a person and sporstman. Maybe this is exactly what Alissa was looking for, same goes for Tomas and it's not just about the results..it's about feeling new motivation, after year and years of skating, a refreshing approach, new enthusiasm..this is what I see in both of them!

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  10. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I think headcases like Czisny and Kostner can sneak onto a podium when competing against a depleted field in the first post-Olympic season, but to expect them to do as well at future Worlds or Olympics after this season when younger talents start to emerge and others return or become stronger is asking too much. When you have been consistently inconsistent for as long as Czisny and Kostner have, the likelihood that they'll suddenly pull it all together and not crumple at the biggest events becomes slimmer and slimmer.

In a strange way, this makes wins like Czisny's at the GPF all the more sweeter for us fans because we know it is very likely that she will never have such a victory again.

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Excuse or not, Carolina and Laura have the best skating in Europe. I don't see any problem with one of them winning without the big tricks. ;)

And back to the topic, I don't see it as a renaissance. Just that Carolina, Alissa and Tomas are now old enough to bear the pressure, maybe.

12. pinky166

And maybe mature enough to accept that their old coaching situations weren't working and bite the bullet and make a coaching change ;)

13. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

LOL :lol: very appropriate expression!

14. ninadel

ninadel New Member

I think that the olympics create a logical retirement point for most skaters, which probably makes them more reflective and gives the ones who stay a sense of renewed commitment.

A common theme for these three seems to be a desire to rekindle a genuine love for skating, which means less freaking out about competition results and the burden of their natural talent. Let's hope the clean streak continues!

15. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

She will. Just to irritate you.:barrel

16. geod2

geod2 New Member

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results...

;)

17. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yup. That.

18. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

"To those out there who doubt and judge, call us facile or weak, and call any of us head cases... #ACFTW! put that in your back pocket!"

That is a quote from Jeremy's twitter...

19. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

What does "#ACFTW" mean?

20. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Alissa Czisny for the win! ;)

21. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

nm

22. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Alissa Czisny For the Win! I saw when Jeremy posted that, as his tweets also get posted to his Facebook. He also said haters can exit on the left, lol :)

23. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I have no idea if it will last, but Joubert just has to get it together and all will be perfect! (well.. no.. but.. better)

24. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

So is it too late for Eman to make a comeback? ;)

25. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

He could do an Andreev and take up ice dance. What's Pasha up to these days?

26. pinky166

Does Joubert really qualify as a headcase though? I feel like he messes up a lot, but yet somehow he always manages to end up on the European and World podium. I guess he's generally a later season skater and his bombs tend to come during the GP (or the Olympics). I'm not ready to give up on him yet though :). I'd love to see him and Verner both on the podium at Euros this season.

27. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I was lobbying for that when he was on SYTYCD Canada!
    But I think he would really have to work on his speed!
    Shae Lynn and Eman!

28. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I don't think Czisny was a headcase. I think she was a techniquecase.

As for Frank trying to change Kostner's technique, her flip technique was to do the flip as if it was an isolated jump in practice, skate forward 2/3 the length of the rink for speed while completely upright with no arm movements then jump. It deserved a net neg 0.25 GOEs and/or 0.25 off in CH every time she did it. Any coach would try to add arm movements before it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  29. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

Agree. I'm a Czisny fan, but I'm still seeing the same issues that have always plagued her. She is doing better this year, but I'm not ready to bet the ranch on a Nationals...anything. She's had success before and then fallen off dismally. Kostner I've never gotten and have always thought she was substantially overmarked.

Although....I'm never impressed with "younger talents." I've been a figure skating fan forever and there's ALWAYS some little girl on the verge of taking the world by storm. It rarely happens. Both Czisny and Kostner have seen them come and go and they both still manage to wrack up a win here and there while the "young talent" is splatting their way to not even being in the Final.

30. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

I vote for headcase. I am not a Joubert fan, to me he's always seemed like Yags without the soul. I saw him live once in an exhibition, and he was a beautiful, non-Yags skater. When not under pressure? Gorgeous. I wish that guy would show up on competition ice.