HE Washer advice

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by her grace, Apr 11, 2012.

1. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

It looks like I will be upgrading to a HE washer and drier. I'm not too thrilled about this prospect because I've heard lots of horror stories about them not cleaning as well as the older kind. If you have one, do you like it? Would you recommend that brand and model? Or if you don't like it, why not?

2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I have Whirlpool Duets; they clean perfectly well, IMO.

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

'HE' washer? Is that when hubby does the laundry? If so, I highly recommend it. ;)

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  4. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I have an LG front load HE washer. Bought it 5+ years ago, so my unit isn't made anymore. I love it! Can't rave enough about it. 5-7 loads per week in it. Has a sanitary cycle. I've had one problem with it - the circuit board blew up when we had power issues. Not sure what the cost was, I had coverage through my electric supplier.

When I bought it, I went to the Home Depot. They don't make commission there, so they won't try to upsell you on items. Guy who sold it to me had one too. Said he bought it after hearing people rave about it. :lol:

Cleaning wise, it's amazing. The sanitary cycle was a lifesaver when my dad was sick. His doctor had the same machine and raved about its cleaning ability. Never had a problem with my clothes not looking clean. I buy the Tide HE machine cleaner and run that every month or so - keeps it smelling good inside.

Appliance wise, it's the best investment I ever made.

5. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I have a Bosch--best. purchase. ever.

It cleans better than any conventional washer I've had, uses very little water, and less detergent. I used to use a lot of bleach when I washed, but this washer has a special sanitary setting, so I rarely have to use bleach now.

Only downside is the wash cycle is much longer than a regular machine. It does have an express 30 minute cycle though.

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

No problems with the Maytag HE I use on a semi-regular basis. Certainly no problems getting things clean. You do have to use the HE laundry detergent, though, and I find they don't go on sale as much as "regular" detergent. Also, they tend to handle a somewhat smaller load than "regular" washers.

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Me, too and I agree.

:p

Some people think they don't clean well because you don't see a lot of water and suds - we're conditioned to equating that with clean. You do need to run a sanitizing cycle about every 30 loads (a light comes on to remind you) since gook can build up behind the rubber ring. If you don't do that regularly I've heard the clothes don't come out so clean and the unit begins to smell.

8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

If you actually use the measured amount of detergent and do not use liquid fabric softener, the "smell" won't happen. I started measuring and stopped using liquid softner and it's made a huge difference. I also dry the inside of the rubber ring after I've done the last load. I have Samsung and like them. Only problem, is moving them. They require a special moving company to lock down the drum. When I sell this house, they stay with the house and I'll just get new. I want one of the steam models.

9. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i had a whirpool duet and it was TERRIBLE- i had issues from day 90 on- the washer went kaput in under TWO YEARS ( and we bought new) basically the reapirman i had come look ( casue the whirlpool ones were GONG SHOWS) said that he has seen a TONNE of them do the same thing and whirpool WOULD NOT COVER it or make it right- even though from day 90 the problems began. I was not impressed-

I went fro a maytag HE NOT a front loader and i LOVE it!!! it actually does a FULL load of wash- no smells and not an issue in sight - I did some major shopping around- called several stores and then went in to the one with the best service and they matched the best price i found-

10. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I have the LG HE Washer. I love, love, love it. I bought it the first year LG made them.
    I think it cleans fabulously well, and is much easier on the clothes.

NOTE: It is critical that the door be left open after use, and that you wipe around the gasket in front. This keeps it from developing an odor problem. (My Son and his wife had a Whirlpool.........when they first came out.....but they did not get the notice about the door....it was awful).

And, I run the "clean tub" cycle once in a while.

It works great. I bought it at Best Buy, and, because it was the first year LG made these, I bought the extended service..........they come out and clean and service it once a year.........but there really hasn't been anything to maintain.

11. agalisgv

I've never had a smell issue and didn't understand why others claimed it was a problem. We don't use fabric softener, though.

12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My father-in-law is an appliance repairman and would echo your first paragraph.

He would also say that if you must buy an HE (and he would say don't as the majority of them will not last and even minor repairs can be expensive) to buy exactly what you replaced it with.

13. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

:cheer: yeah me!!! lol :lol:

14. agalisgv

I think Consumer Reports indicated some of the HE washers that were top loaders did not clean as well (presumably the missing agitator in the middle made cleaning more difficult). But that was several years ago (around 2007 or so). The front loading HE washers, however, generally cleaned better than your traditional washers.

I think now the issue with top loading HE washers isn't so bad. But if you get a front loader, you shouldn't have any issues (in fact, your clothes should come out cleaner).

Front loaders used to be quite a bit more expensive, but I don't think that's the case so much nowadays.

15. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

We have a relatively new Kenmore steam machine, and I think it does a great job on my clothes. Mind you, my old washer was about 20 years old...:shuffle:

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I have had a front loading Maytag HE washer and dryer for 8 years and I love them, especially the dryer. The washer works great and I've never had trouble with a smell. My detergents seem to last a lot longer.

17. KCC

KCC Active Member

Got Kenmores two years ago and they are working great. No odors, etc. even though we use liquid fabric softeners and don't run the cleaning cycle more than once every four months. I like the bigger loads, less water, and having the large flat space on top (mine are front loaders). My neighbors had a bunch of electrical and mechanical issues with their old Kenmores, and they still have a big odor problem. after talking to them, we got a whole house surge protector installed (electricity in our area spikes a lot).

18. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Front-loading washers are prone to growing mold--and not just under the boot (the rubber ring or gasket at the door); it also grows on the outside of the drum, which is worse. Detergent and fabric softener residue provide a fine food source for mold, so people who overuse detergent, use non-HE detergent, or use liquid fabric softener are more likely to end up with problems. The first sign of this is that your towels start smelling funky.

I always leave the door of the washer open between uses and I clean mine religiously as soon as the indicator light comes on; we had some friends get the mold problem and it was really :scream:.

19. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We got the base Electrolux model when it was on sale last summer. BEST PURCHASE EVER! Of course, ours is in a dedicated laundry area, so we can leave the door and the dispenser tray open which helps a lot in avoiding odors. The cleaning cycle takes a while, but it's just another load of laundry to me and is no big deal.

The installer recommended to use the minimum detergent and to never fill the dispenser tray all the way to the line. He said half is plenty.

20. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

We got a new HE washer a few years ago, and I honestly don't know a thing about it because my darling husband does all the laundry. Truly a HE washer. But I do use it to delicate wash my bras on a "hand wash" cycle, and it seems to do a great job with everything.

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Samsung HE front loader. Cleans so much better than my old non-HE Kenmore unit at the beach. Sometimes I wash clothes at the beach and they still have spots so I bring them home to wash in the Samsung. No spots.

22. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I'd add that one big advantage of a HE washer is that there's no agitator, so it's much more gentle on clothes. I have an LG that I've owned for 6 years, no issues.

23. madm

madm Active Member

I've had under counter (24") HE machines for about 12 years and I love them. The washer uses about 3 gal. of water per load, is quiet, and heats its own water. Our original pair was ASKO, and the washer had a fair number of repairs during it's 10-year life. I had to replace the washer due to a motor problem last year, but I kept the dryer. I replaced it with a Bosch HE washer and so far it is working just fine. We had one hiccup when it was first installed where it gave an error code, but I called the repairman and he figured out that the factory (in the southern U.S.) had mis-installed the concave magnets around the motor (they were backwards) and it was an easy fix. It's run perfectly since then. If you get a European model, check the voltage requirements - ours uses 220V, I think. When I was shopping for a new washer I asked the repairman about the repair frequency of different brands, and he told me Bosch was one of the better ones but that Maytag and Asko had frequent repairs. Also, I bought from Appliance Factory Outlet and decided to pay for their extended warranty just in case. Chances are in the first 4 years that I will need to call a repairman for something.

24. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Have the Samsung, love it, washes GREAT. We had a GE previously, had some mechanical issues (this is about 10 years ago). A key thing that we didn't do well with the GE was dry the seal after we were done, and we got the nasty smell (and we don't use liquid softeners). We have been religious about drying the door seal on the Samsung and have absolutely no smell after two years (knock on wood that continues). Would never go back to top loader though - I think there is much less wear/tear on clothes due to no agitator too. I never handwash anymore - just put delicates in a zip bag and put through the regular cycle, works like a charm.

25. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

We got a Frigidaire HE front-loader about 6 months ago. I won't say I love it, but it's not doing a bad job either. With that said, I am now regretting the purchase. I am currently pregnant with our first baby, and we plan on using cloth diapers. And with cloth diapers, usually the more water, the better. So an HE wash routine might be tricky, although lots of people do it just fine with them. It's just one of those things that I wish I'd thought about before buying.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  26. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Skate America! Go!

They are autragously priced in the US, but I love, love Miele.

In the end we got a LG (in red!) frontload, and I have been very happy with it.

I detest topload, I think the rod in the middle ruins the clothes

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Does yours have a sanitize mode? If so, you'll be ok. My niece does her diapers in an HE machine. She uses a diaper pail and washes every other day.

28. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I have had the same washer and dryer (Whirlpool) for 25 years. They even outlasted my marriage. Always cleaned clothes wonderfully, just a few minor repairs to each over 25 years. They still run great! (And they've survived 4 moves so far)

29. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I got the mid-grade Electrolux model at the same time last year, and I agree with your sentiments! In hindsight, I should've just bought the base model, as I don't really use the steam feature much if at all. I find I'm using the quick cycle more and more.

In my previous place, I had an Asko because I had room for only a 24" model and had to have the W/D in my kitchen. This is not considered that unusual in Europe/Scandinavia, and Asko makes very pretty models. I would've bought Asko again except you can fit sooooooooooo much more in the Electrolux with the three additional inches. (And the 27" Electrolux has more tub capacity than most larger washers.)

Me too. This was the big plus to putting the washer and dryer in a walk-in-closet. I also love that I can take the clothes out of my dryer, fold them, and stick them right in the drawer without ever moving my feet. :lol:

I did get some odors previously, when the Asko was in my kitchen, because you literally couldn't move if you left the door open. (Asko washers look like fridges, and you have to pull down the metal door vertically before opening the washer door horizontally.

30. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Nope, but I wouldn't use it for diapers anyway... it's one of the fastest ways to ruin a diaper since the water gets too hot and wears down elastic and waterproofing quickly. I'm thinking I'll just have to add a gallon or two of extra water manually since my machine is a basic model and doesn't have an "add water" option.