HDTV advice needed- sort of

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks. That explains why my Vizio has such good picture quality - the display is built by Sony. :)

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Most newer TVs are now computer/wifi ready. They are making them so that you can basically use them as a computer screen. That makes plasmas more prone to burn in. Costco, Best Buy, and every local electronics store I have gone to has confirmed that.

3. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Anyone you consult will also confirm that burn in occurs when you leave fixed images on the screen for a long time, particularly during the first 200 hours you use the TV. Don't leave fixed content on your screen. Use a screen saver. Problem solved.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I went to Costco for the second time to look at the TVs but they had hardly any HDTVs. Most of them were LCDs. So I came back empty handed, even though I liked the prices.

They had a soundbar (Sony) for $125 which was a very attractive price.

5. cruisin

Yes, I understand that. That is why I mentioned that the newer TVs are set up for the very things that can cause the burn - computer images and gaming. And those were the reasons that the salespeople do not recommend plasma.

Did you go on line and look at what Costco has to offer? The Costco, near me, has lots of LED and LCD sets, in ever size. Maybe go to a different Costco?

6. Vash01

Their on line prices were quite high, and the selection was limited in the size/type I am looking for. I am not looking for an LCD TV or a plasma TV. I want HDTV with LED. They did not have that at that time. I was too tired to drive to another Costco. I am taking my time to buy this; not trying to do everything one one day or one weekend.

7. cruisin

Always a good idea when buying a Tv or any sort of electronics equipment. Do you have an Electronics Expo near you? It may just be an NJ store, but there are multiple locations. Anyway, that's where we got both of our TVs and they were very good with pricing.

8. Vash01

No, we don't have that. I had never heard of it.

9. cruisin

It appears it may just be a NJ store. Only 8 locations. But, it also appears that you can buy on line. Here is a link, you can compare prices: http://www.electronics-expo.com