HBO's Dexter Fans?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Twilight1, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Anyone watch this? I think this is my favourite season since the 1st one. Love the Russian mafia storyline, LaGuerta relooking into the Bay Harbour Butcher, Debra finding out about Dex and now Hannah McKay.

Can't wait to see how this season finishes up! :D

2. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Me !!!!!
    I still miss miss tick tock goes the clock, but still Hannah McKay is AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIING !!!! Less than Julia Stiles but still :)

3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

"Dexter" is in my top 5 shows!!! (Just behind "The Walking Dead"(1) and "True Blood"(2)). I thought every season was well written. The only thing is I have to watch it at 11pm on Sundays since "The Walking dead" is on at 9pm(or catch it in repeat on Showtime during the week). All my favorite shows seem to be on Sunday at 9pm.

4. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

It's on Showtime, not HBO. ;) What's funny is John Lithgow made the same mistake in his Emmy acceptance speech for playing Trinity!

I'm not sure how I feel about this season yet :shuffle:

5. Twilight1

Ooops thanks!

6. lulu

lulu New Member

Love Dexter, unfortunately, I don't get Showtime (or HBO for that matter) any more, so I haven't seen this season's episodes.

7. Twilight1

Is it on Netflix? I thought I saw it on there but I could be wrong.

8. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Yes it's on Netflix

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Another fan of the show. I only got into this early this year when my sister gave me Season 1 on DVD and then I caught up with the whole previous six seasons. Thankfully I have pay TV here so they stream it straight out of the US.

Am really liking this season. There have been some really good moments, particularly involving Isaak (isn't he Ukrainian?). Loved the bit where Dexter dragged him into the Columbian club although he didn't expect what happened would. Deb's reaction has been very interesting. She finally found out Dexter's secret which she was totally freaked out about, but then has given her a level of closeness to him which she was craving all along. I think she is now seeing the "benefit" of what he does.

The Hannah McKay character has provided another interesting aspect.

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Last I checked it wasn't available instantly on Netflix, though that may have changed? A friend and I started watching it on NF ~1.5 years ago and mid-way through the 2nd season it stopped being available instantly, which sucked :lol:

11. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

I watched 3 seasons onnetflix ( in Canada) it's still on , but I. Need the rest !!!! The first two season were awesome !

12. Twilight1

I found out that Debra found out the truth about Dexter in the first book from the book series. Kind of bummed they haven't incorporated that until this season.

13. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

A few fan facts you may not know about:

During "Dexter"s run, star Michael C. Hall dealt with and beat cancer :cheer:. (Hodgkins Lymphoma)

He also married and divorced co-star Jennifer Carpenter. It's good to see they can still work together so well. Much of the show revolves around their brother/sister relationship.

14. Twilight1

He became involved with Julia Stiles when she was on the show which was the reason he and Jennifer Carpenter divorced.

15. Lurking Skater

Lurking Skater Ms Lurker if you're nasty

I have loved Dexter since season 1, when I had to find "alternate" means of watching the show. I still wish the show and Michael C. Hall had gotten some Emmy love already.

I'm more interested in Dexter vs Isaak Sirko than his storyline with Hannah. I figure Quinn will finally get killed off this season via the Kashkas.

16. Twilight1

I hope not. I like Quinn's marred smarmy character. Actually what I like the most about this show is all the characters are flawed in some way or the other.

17. Aussie Willy

So I was right. Victor was Isaak's gay lover.

Ray Stevenson's character this season is awesome. Best scene in last night's episode in the bar between him and Dexter.

18. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Oh my. I hope it's gonna end badly soon :)

19. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, I didn't realize that's why they divorced. I'd wondered about that.

20. Twilight1

So bummed that Isaac is dead!! I thought that storyline would get played up till the end. Guess not.

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am watching season 6 right now and will catch up with the current season as soon as I am done. I love this show, I used to keep up but then we finally canceled our subscription to Showtime.

22. Aussie Willy

I was bummed too. Even though Isaac was very evil he was really likeable. I loved the scenes with Dexter and him. And how he turned to Dexter for help.

Now wondering about the fire arson guy. And why he has suddenly come into the picture.

23. Twilight1

Usually they don't have serial killers start midseason on Dexter. Interested to see where that goes and also the Hannah and LaGuerta storyline.

24. BigB08822

I am finally all caught up. It looks like all the loose ends are tied up except for LaGuerta going after the Bay Harbor Butcher and Deb still wanting to go after Hannah. Both of them are mounting evidence to take Dexter and Hannah out. Dexter is going to be one very busy man in the next few episodes. How many are left, 2 this season?

Does anyone else have a problem with the storyline of Deb being in love with Dexter? It seems rushed and not well thought out. It almost feels to me like it was originally done for shock purposes and then kind of shelved after she found out he was a killer. Now they brought it back but I almost feel like it was only done to make some kind of weird love triangle story line which is looking more and more likely with Deb finding the girl who witnessed the poisoning. I think she just wishes she could be with Dexter because he has been the only constant thing in her life and she has had some awful luck with men. I hope thats how it plays out because her actually being in love with him is just creepy, adopted brother or not. It is more the idea of Dexter than actually being in love with him.

Dexter should be winning the Father of the Year award any minute now. I think he spent all of 10 minutes with his son this season.

25. Lurking Skater

Lurking Skater Ms Lurker if you're nasty

I hate, hate, hate the whole Dex/Deb storyline. I don't know what the writers were thinking when they started it last season and especially when they brought it back. There's just no point to it.

I really miss Dexter from season 1, when he was really more of a psychopath, didn't really care about anyone and used relationships to keep up the facade. Now the writers tossed in his dark passenger in season 5(?) as if the reread Jeff Lindsay's series and realized that was in there. I liked that they brought in another aspect of the book series until they apparently decided that Dexter always attributed his being a monster to his dark passenger and not because that's who he was stemming from everything that happened when he was little. What happened to the Dexter that owned the fact that he was a monster? I miss him and I'm glad Hannah made him see that his urge to kill was his.

I don't think the LaGuerta storyline will wrap up in 2 episodes. I think it'll be the main storyline for next season.

26. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Well the final epsiode of the penultimate season just aired in the UK, and I have to say that this season has been more miss than hit for me. It ended dramatically and sets up what will hopefully be a great final season, but I thought the writing was pretty weak, the storylines all seemed, i don't know how to describe it, like incidental filler that you often get in these series as one or two bad episodes that don't advance the plotline, but it was for the whole series. The Deb falling in love with Dexter thing just seemed ridiculous, the La Guerta suspicions about the bay harbor butcher played out too slowly to begin with and then much too quickly - it could have been spread out better. The strip club story line didn't really go anywhere or explore anything interesting or new. While the Hannah story line was interesting and some of the things that it explored were great - it did just seem like checking off a list - love interest for Dexter, check.

I agree that the Dexter of first couple of seasons is unrecognisable to the Dexter in these later seasons and that doesn't make sense given how the character was set up. I just hope the final season does justice to what has generally been a really good enjoyable tv show.

27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^ It's funny b/c I had the complete opposite reaction at the end of last season. The Deb-in-love-with-Dexter storyline aside, I thought that season was the best they've had since Trinity. The season with Travis was good but season 7 topped it for me.

I felt we got to go even deeper into Dexter's psyche last season. The show is primarily told from Dexter's POV and we get insight into his mind/thoughts/feelings, etc. but I think it was different this season, mostly b/c of Deb knowing his secret. He's always justified what he does internally but it put it in a different light when he had to explain the process and his way of thinking to Deb.

I enjoyed the season. I liked Deb's struggle with trying to accept who Dexter really was...I liked Dexter's struggle with his attraction/connection to Hannah...the whole Russian mob thing was just a side distraction and wasn't really that big of a deal but I did like the Dexter/Issac dynamic.

I was impressed with last season, especially the ending b/c I didn't see that coming. I feel like this season is going to be insane. I don't know if Dexter will survive but I'm almost sure Deb won't. She barely contained herself when she found out about Dexter killing Travis, and Travis deserved it! I don't think she'll be able to handle the guilt of Laguerta's death...it's going to kill her.

This has been a great show. Some seasons are better than others but I really feel like this season is going to be amazing.

28. BigB08822

I would love for Deb to adopt Dexters dark passenger and free him from his torment. She could kill Dexter and we could be left wondering if she will or if she won't continue killing others.

It could be something she does out of true love. Taking that away from him and taking it on herself. That would be quite the sacrifice. Additionally, she could kill him and make it so that no one ever knows he was the Bay Harbor Butcher and his legacy is never tainted.

The big problem with this is that Deb hasn't shown the strength to deal with such a thing. She did earlier in the show but she has changed and been hurt a lot. Maybe it would be believable if they play it off as though she snapped.

29. Aussie Willy

Okay resurrecting this thread because the last season of Dexter just started. Anyone else watched it?

30. Twilight1

Not yet. But then I haven't started watching BB, or True Blood. I think I am still in mourning for The Borgia's lol.