HBO Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Apr 18, 2011.

1. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. The show made the point, but had to do it very fast; in the book their conversations and bonding are deeply significant and very moving.

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm into book 3 now. Trying to pace my reading since I now know how long people have waited for new books in the series. :shuffle:

3. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Wow dbell...I'm not even halfway through the first lol. I read a little and put a book down, though.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm well into the 3rd book as well and anxious to finish read all the available book including the yet to be release book 5. I would like nothing better than to finish readin gall the books in the series but I know once I am done I probably will not get to know how it all ends up for many years to come which is too bad. But I am hooked and just cannot stop myself so no pacing for me. New episode tomorrow! :D

5. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Tonight's episode didn't have quite as much excitement in it, but I liked Daeny telling whatshisface that she's cut off his hands if he hit her again. :)

Interesting ending, too! I haven't reached that part in the book where Catelyn calls out Tyrion...was that like the books? It seemed like something that might have deviated a bit, but I wasn't sure.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this week's episode yet but I am almost done with book 3 so I am no spoiling myself much by reading the thread. LOL But if you are talking about their chance meeting in the inn, yeah that was in there. LOL

7. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

My mom started reading the books so she could understand what was going on in the show. Needless to say, she's hooked.

8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I have not read any of the spoilers and have taken seriously the warning not to get too hooked to any one characater as they will start dropping like flies at some point. However it is hard to think we might lose the four that are most often mentioned here: Jon, Arya, Dany and Tyrion. And for me also: the remaining dire wolves. I don't know if this is a spoiler but does Jon's wolf have a name? I'm also curious about the "bastard" swordsmith....Does HBO ever miss?

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Jon's wolf is named Ghost. Not a spoiler. I wasn't aware it wasn't mentioned yet. He named him Ghost for his white fur and because he is the only one of the pups that is completely quiet and never gives a loud.

I think the warnings were a bit unfair in a way as they were in a way spoilers itself. Get attached to the characters. Even those that don't die have happiness and struggles and you can only live them with the characters if you get attached to them, IMO. :)

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Gendry is his name and is King Robert's offspring. Althought I am not sure if he really is a bastard. There are hints that Cersei had a child for King Robert that supposedly died.

I must confess that I think the actors choosen to play Sensa, Robb, Jon are a tab bit too old. It is obvious they are in their 20s but the characters are supposed to be in their mid teens.

11. Hedwig

Just watched the last episode. The taking of Tyrion was pretty much ad verbatim to the books.

Sam was a disappointment to me. I pictured him totally different. Fatter, blond and much more likeable. This "lusty" talk about women was so out of character for him. He is afraid of women like of everything else.

And :wuzrobbed that Littlefinger told Sansa about Gregor Clegane burning his little brother The Hound, Sandor Clegane. I found it so important that Sandor told her himself. :drama:

I think this was the first episode I didn't really like. So much seemed rushed or even wrong.

Loved Arya's "That is not me", though. Maisie Williams is an amazing actress! She is exactly like I pictured Arya. :swoon:

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the updates: I wish we could do two episodes at a time. I know the books were popular before but I can't imagine the author thought he would suddenly blow up even more and so quickly.

13. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I haven't read the books, but I thought Sam was great and a welcomed addition to the cast of characters.

I loved that conversation between him and Jon--funny, but also touching in what it revealed about both characters. Totally digging what seems to be a budding friendship.

Then again, Sam doesn't look like he's going to survive for very long in that harsh environment, even with Jon's protection.

In any case, what I like about Sam is that he is yet another sympathetic character who doesn't fit into the rigid expectations imposed on him by his environment.

That's what I'm loving about this series: most of it is from the POV of the "misfits"--characters like Jon, Arya, Sam, Tyrion, etc.--who are all trying to navigate in a world that doesn't understand or accept them by one standard or another.

And who can't relate or indentify with that struggle?

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, I have not had a chance to watch this episode yet, but so far, I am not liking the show at all. I'm finding all of it rushed, I think a lot of the casting is off the mark, and the whole thing, to me, is coming off like a diet version of the real thing.

Love the books, but not the TV adaptation.

15. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

This episode reminded me of waiting in a boring line for a death defying roller coaster ride. You know something's coming, but you have to deal with getting strapped in, tons of waiting and lots of instructions.

I rewatched Dany slapping the 'dragon' a few times. AWESOME! Even better than Tyrion Geoffery.

Oh, and I echo what Hedwig said for this episode. All of it. :lol:

16. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

This episode was wrong from start to finish.
    I am truly disapointed in Sandor Clegane. One of my favorite characters.

And Sam ? WTF ? He's not likable AT ALL.

The only good part, was the end with Lady Cat taking in tynion Lanister, nearly as in the books.

17. Hedwig

It is great to hear that from someone who hasn't read the books. I feared that Sam would only be understandable for people who already know him but it seems like he came about right after all (at least for some of us. ;) )

Re the struggles and misfit character: Yes, I like that too about the books. You don't get the story from the rich and beautiful but from real people. And the pretty people are not always the good ones.

You really are my alter ego! :D
    Are you still in book 3? Savour it - I think book 3 is my favorite of the series so far. :)

18. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

BAH. Damn you, damn you all. The promise of too many characters, overly complicated storylines, and scenery was just too damned tempting. I broke down and watched the first episode today.

Twas a bit embarrassing watching it in broad daylight at my parent's house because of course my dad walked in during the dwarf menage-a-many. I wasn't sure I'd like it--honestly, I was both icked out and slightly bored by the first twenty minutes, but once I accepted I'd never know who was who and Cathy and Chris showed up, I knew I was in it for the long haul.

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

:EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE:

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Hedwig - still in book #3 and have pre-ordered #5 from Amazon. :shuffle: Had to put #3 up since I need to read my son's 9th grade book. Have to quiz the little brat on it and it looks good (The Giver) so it's back to 'teen lit' for me. :lol:

Matry - welcome to the cult of thrones. We have cookies. And direwolves... :D

21. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I like direwolves and cookies, don't get me wrong. But I'm really here for the glorious gratuitousness with pretty, snowy trees and sunny coastlines only HBO can produce.

As soon as the school year is over, I'm going to Kindle the first book as my reward.

22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I am finishing Book 3 and am completely obsessing over the series. The wait after "Dance with Dragons" will be hard. Especially so as I have to prepare for heartbreak- I do not dare to hope that characters I grew to love might get even a semi- happy ending.

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Don't give up hope just yet. There are still two more books to come out, however the wait will most likely be a very loooong one.

24. Hedwig

I just was on Wikipedia that the last episode was written by someone else than the originators of the series and someone who hasn't written another one.
    It was generally not as well received by the critics as the other ones and like I said before, I didn't like it very much.
    Maybe that was the reason and the other episodes will be better again!

I am especially anxious to see episode No.8 (Stick them with the pointy end) which was written by the master (GRRM) himself! :cheer:

I am in my 335th reread of the books right now (book 4 at the moment) and every time I discover something new. I think these books are even better if you reread them than on the first time. You notice so much more and especially the interwoven backstory gets more and more interesting and little details that mean a lot later spring suddenly out at you...I think in a way, these books are really an art like a complicated painting that gets more and more interesting the longer you look at it.

25. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

335th reread of the books o_O. Do you read anything else? lol

I'm glad to hear that episode was done by someone different...like you said...encouraging that it will get back on track a bit again next episode. I didn't think it was a bad episode, but certainly slower than the others had been.

26. MarieM

I am tired of re reading them !!
    I want the last books to be released soon !! boohoo :)

27. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

But then it'll be over! It's sort of like the HP books...I wanted them to be released, but now it's all over...and many times the ending you can imagine is better than the actual ending you get.

28. MarieM

I don't think it's the same.
    When the last tome of the sword of truth came, it was more of a relief. And not a total let down like HP has been to me.
    And when, next november, I"ll have the last book of the wheel of time, I'm sure I'm gonna feel so sad it's over :)

But I always try to avoid unfinished series from now on. I just hate all that waiting.
    It's the same with the Eragorn saga. When will he release his book ?!

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Knowing this author I doubt there is gonna be a lot of happy people when this is series is all over. He says he loves to keep it as realistic as possible so do not expect too many happy endings.

30. MarieM

Happy what ? LOL :)