HBO Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I really wanted to see that, but don't have Showtime. I'll have to download it/rent it/buy it when it comes out.

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Books are ordered. :cool:

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Enjoy :)

I just read that GRRM was on the new york time list of the 100 most influential people for 2011:

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/04/grrm-makes-2011-time-100-people.html

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Can't wait for tonight.

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I've caught up through last weeks episode in the books. With the genealogies in the back of the book, I at least know who the players are.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

That's it! I am hooked and cannot wait for the series to slowly unravel so I am going to get myself the books even if I have to buy them all new!

8. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Good episode last night. I was so mad at the queen. Poor wolf and poor butcher's son. :( The Lannisters are real pieces of work.

9. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yeah, the wolf and butcher's son really got to me. I just keep having to remind myself of the brutality of the book and try not to get caught up in it. I'm excited about seeing Dany's story play out.

10. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Poor dire puppies. :( Totally lost it when Ned killed Lady, but that line about the wolf being from the north made me think that battle lines are clearly being drawn. Loved the end of the episode when Bran opened his eyes. His mum sure was a nasty cow to John - no matter how she feels about her hubby cheating on her, it's obvious that John and Bran (and the other children) are very close.

Ayra is my favorite. Disarming that pompous little prat of a prince and tossing his sword was :kickass: but her sister is a twit. "I don't remember?" Really? :mad:

Hedwig - books have been shipped - due here by Thursday, so I predict a lot of reading this weekend. :lol:

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I think there is a lot more to Jon Snow's parentage that we have been told so far. Perhaps the circumstance surrounding his birth will play a big part towards the end of the story. Well that is what I think anyway. This has got to be one of the best new show on tv. :respec:

12. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah I think you're right, Buzz. He seems to be the one with the story that develops the most(so far, anyhow).

I really need to delve into these books more.

13. Hedwig

Lady being killed made he bawl like a baby when I read it first. :( There are bad things to come but killing animals and especially dogs(wolves) is one of the worst for me. :(

dbell, it is a pity it isn't winter for you! I love nothing better than having a huge book and read it away for a whole week-end while cuddling in front of the heater. And especially this book! 'Winter is coming'
    My first time reading it was in summer too, though, I just remember...
    (Although, I spent most of easter in my hammock on my balcony reading and that isn't half bad either :) )
    eh, okay, that must have been verrry interesting to you. ;)

I love how Emilia Clarke portrays Daenarys. When I saw an interview with her after being cast I was a bit wary. She sounded so fake enthusiastic in the interview and it felt like she didn't understand her role at all. But either my impression was totally off or she gained more understanding afterwards because I think she is doing a kick-ass job.

Not too impressed with Catelyn. They aged all the characters (I read that GRRM said that the ages he used had been in line with the middle ages where girls were wed at 13 but that that would be hard on tv and that even people like Ned Stark who is like 33 in the books has been aged so it is more in line with our age expectancy) but she just looks soo worn and old and besides I had always pictured her more beautiful.
    They had cast Jennifer Ehle for the role first and that was my dream come true...I wonder why she was recast. They had already filmed the pilot with her and then they had to do the scenes again where Catelyn is present...

dbell, Arya is my favorite too. My boyfriend and I have all but agreed to name our firstborn girl Arya. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  14. Hedwig

There are lots of theories about his parentage in the net. I have one as well which I am pretty sure is right but I won't write it down so not to spoil anyone. But if you want to read about the theories, there are huge threads about all characters and everything here:
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/

Don't spoil yourselves, though and read parts of the forums where books are discussed that are already out!
    There is a spoiler free part just for people who only started to read the books:
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/49-still-reading/

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks Hedwig!!!! :cheer2:

16. Hedwig

17. Hedwig

18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Got through several more chapters last night in the book...almost caught up with the tv series now.

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Got quite the way into the first book and and cannot put the thing down. :D

20. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah, the only thing that made me put it down was that it was 1am :coffee:

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I cannot tell you how many years it has been since a work of fiction has done this to me. :cheer2:
    I am doubly happy because my fave character Jon lasts all four books released so far. LOL

22. Hedwig

In a way I am even envious of you guys! It is quite an experience to read the books for the first time I think. I have read them now about 6-8 times, I think. :lol: Part of that was listening to the great audiobooks that I can also really recommend.

23. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Books are here. Worlds are this week. I can see my family suffering big time. :shuffle:

Later gang, I'm about to go hang out with the White Walkers. :COP: :lol:

24. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

I´m a little ashamed admitting that this moment was kind of satisfying :shuffle:

:wuzrobbed: Lady and poor Micah

25. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I think that moment was super satisfying.

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am already halfway into the book and I starting reading it yesterday! LOL It is a bummer that the last two books will not be out for a looong time. :(

I want to see the Stark offspring. including Jon of course, reunite at the end of the story to fight some common enemy perhaps Dany and her horde.

27. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I haven't read the books but I'm loving the series.

I'm huge fans of Sean Bean, Jason Mamoa and Peter Drinkage.

Khal Drogo is so hot is nuts. Still can't believe that's Jason Mamoa aka Ronan from Stargate Atlantis.

Lady Stark was really really pissing me off for a while. Her attitude toward's Snow is simply childish. Like the boy asked to be born.

28. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah, Drogo is :grope: :swoon:

Lady Stark doesn't really dislike Snow because of his personality...it's that he is a reminder of her husband getting frisky with another woman he thought enough of to bring the bastard child back to the castle and have him LIVE there, that bothers her. It isn't right, but I try to remind myself that she doesn't literally hate *him*...just the memories that he brings up.

And I agree sweetsparky! Loved when that little sh!t got a smack. lol

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

You have to remember, they are married a very short time when Ned goes off to war. Catelyn is left home alone and pregnant; she gives birth without her husband there and then when he finally returns he is bringing along a bastard he had by another woman (or so we are meant to think). From her point of view, not a great way to start off a marriage, and since Ned will not confide in her and tell her who Jon's mother is, her resentment grows.

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I understand why she would be upset but to take her anger out on an innocent child still after so many years is mean. Especially when he was leaving and trying to say goodbye to Bran on his sick bed. She got what she wanted and that is Jon sent away at last never to return and neither will he ever marry and have children of his own to lay claim to his father's estate so why not just be civil on the last occasion she will ever see him? Catelyn is definitely not my favourite character but I think the book would not be the same is lil Jon had an angel for a step mother. His treatment is the main reason he wanted to leave and his becoming a Night Watcher is one of the main catalyst for events in the book. LOL