HBO Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Three years, bah, I give you 8!! I discovered the series in 2003 and then thought that I waited long for book 4 which came out "only" two years later. :shuffle:
    Me and my friends did a big release party with meat and mead and bonfire the night before A Feast for Crows came out.
    I wish I could do this this time as well. Do you happen to be in Germany for the release so we could feast together? ;)

2. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

I´m afraid I won´t, but we can anyway party at FSU ;) Yours friends idea was really cool, a pity if you cannot repeat it.

I´m not a big fan of fantasy, but I don´t dislike it either. I just had read some good reviews and found the paperback Spanish edition of the first book visiting one of my favs bookstores. It was published by an editorial which publishes really good science-fiction and fantasy books in Spain. It was summer, I read the synopsis and how it was described as a mixed of historical and high fantasy nove, and decided to give it a go, and from them I bought all the published books in English immediately.

I also lent the book to my brother and he become a fan too, and I have been spreading the word since then.

I hope rfisher (and all the FSUers who decide to read the book) enjoy the experience.

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, I started the first book a couple years ago at Impromptu's recommendation and got a couple hundred pages in, but at a certain point I put it aside and didn't feel compelled to pick it back up again. I'll see if watching the show inspires me to continue reading.

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I thought book one was very 'expositional' (is that even a word?) and it wasn't until the shocker at the end I started getting into the series. Up until that point I just looked at it as a good summer read. I re-read the books last year and found a lot more things to like about the first book second time around. Of course by that point I already had a better idea of what some of the 'gray' characters were really like, so it was good to look back at some of their earlier actions in light of things that get revealed later on.

5. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Sorry, my dear, but you are a latecomer. I have a first edition, copyright 1996, and have had to wait much longer than you for succeeding volumes.

6. Jem X

Jem X Skate America arrives!

Well my daughter gave me a Barnes & Noble giftcard for my birthday, so I used it to buy the ASOFAI paperback set. Will get started tomorrow.

7. Hedwig

You win! :lol: Not bad!!

I am happy that so many people are interested in starting reading it. It is my favorite series of books and even though not everyone likes it, I hope you are among those who do and enjoy it as much as I did!!!

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I love the books and have tried to get all my friends to read them. Alas, I have one friend who started reading these and stopped almost immediately; she just didn't like them and said it's not her thing, so I guess these are not for everyone.

9. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Fantasy is certainly something not everyone gets into, and some are more averse to it than others due to it being considered somewhat of a "nerd" thing to read. I'm just happy I'm a nerd :)

Hedwig and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Hedwig

I like being a nerd too. :)

But I am not so much into fantasy normaly. I read Harry Potter but other than HP and LotR I don't really like fantasy all that much.

To me ASOIAF is different as it IS fantasy but has more of a medieval feeling to me. And even that is, IMO, not the most important part of the book, but it is the characters and their struggles and them being grey and not good or evil like in so many fantasy books where a good hero destroys the bad guys.

Most of my friends - who I could bring to read the books - loved them and started to be obsessed to. But two of those who tried stopped after a couple of hundred pages. So, yeah, it is definitely not for everyone.

11. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Most fantasy is based around medieval type things, but yeah the "gray" part would be more different I guess...although considering I haven't read loads of it I can't say whether it's only good vs evil in most fantasy books or not...and I'm only going with the medieval generalization due to the covers of most of the books I've seen. I'm not hugely into fantasy...I've read Jennifer Roberson's Chronicles of the Cheysuli...and Harry Potter...and the first book of the LOTR trilogy. I think that's about it(unless you include silly books like Twilight).

12. emason

emason Well-Known Member

This "it's a nerd thing" is beginning to bother me. A good book is always a good book. Why does everything have to be pigeonholed by genre and "target audience"?

13. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I remember trying to read "Dune". I kept getting bogged down by the first 60-100 pages and gave up a few times. Finally took the book to my boring job (I was alone at the job site, very few visitors, no distractions) and once I 'got' the idea behind the book and grasped the characters, it flew for me.

I've got a few 'read part of it and gave up' books. Some were parts of a series, others looked interesting, but never grabbed my brain. :lol:

14. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I read mainly fantasy and science fiction. That's why I kind of love / hate GoT !
    Because I've been waiting FOREVER for the end of it.
    It's like the wheel of time !!

15. intheknow

intheknow Member

The New Yorker of a couple of weeks ago had a very good article about GRRM and many quotes from an interview with him. There was a lot of info about the fan clubs, web sites, etc., and the delays in the new book's release (slated now for July 12, I believe). (I'm sorry--I'm at work, and can't look up the exact day and link it--I shouldn't even be on this site!) I loved the books, and love Sean Bean--but oh dear! I will have to go back to my Sharp movies to put the right image of him back in my mind.

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The Sharpe movies? Please! Go get Stormy Monday and see him as a janitor in a tight white t-shirt, IIRC.

17. znachki

znachki Active Member

Or Lady Chatterly, as Mellors the gamekeeper, without the shirt, and other things ........I'll be in my bunk.

18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Because things usually have a target audience? I was mostly speaking tongue in cheek. It doesn't stop people from reading them if they want to, and the only thing holding people back from reading something, is their own insecurities. Those who are averse to something are usually the ones that create the negative labels to start with. As I said, nothing wrong with being a nerd, if that's what people want to call it. Most people embrace it these days, therefore cutting off the people who would dislike it, at the pass.

Labels have been around for centuries...it's nothing new. You're lucky it's only just now starting to bother you ;)

19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Have you heard of that NYTimes controversy surrounding HBO's GoT? The reviewer implied that they added sex scenes so that female demographic would watch it ( relying on the fact that most urban fantasy and paranormal romance series nowadays are slated towards women and are highly sexual), and that otherwise GoT is male geek literature . It produced a storm of indignant e-mails, and NYT had to turn off the comments... I heard about it later, went and read the article and was rather offended myself. First of all, all the sex shown on HBO so far is written in the books; so the reviewer had not read them. Second, as a woman I don't need sex to enjoy fantasy and sci-fi; I like a well-written fantasy whether it is sexual or not. Third, women have eclectic tastes these days; I certainly do; reading "high literature", travel literature, historical novels, fantasy, non-fiction, history, biography, you name it. I think it's much more typical than reading just one kind of book. The stereotype that elaborate fantasy is for computer programmers is way outdated.
    Anyway, that was a sucky bigoted review, and I resent that my beloved New York Times printed it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I was one of the PO'd people after reading that review. Thank you, reviewer (who was female, no less) for assuming that because I have ovaries I require sex and male beefcake to appreciate anything fantasy. I'm not the least surprised by the review (if you read media by women, for women, you quickly realize that the women writing it, at least in the 'elite' media, really do think we all wish we were in Sex And The City.) But it's STILL annoying.

I don't JUST watch HBO or Showtime for the men with their clothes off. (Though I have to admit, it's a nice fringe benefit.) I definitely don't need romantic sex added in. Or any sex--I loved "From the Earth to the Moon" and there's hardly any sex at all, if any (and quite possibly the worst or second-worst part was the 'wives' club' episode that practically screamed 'we stuck this in so girls, who hate things like rockets, will watch.')

21. Hedwig

That is so surprising. Isn't it the stereotype that men need sex and naked women to enjoy a movie? When came the weird stereotype that women want that? :confused:

rant for people who write anything against my beloved ASOIAF series: *Reviews are often just annoying. Reviewers seem to think that they are so much more sophisticated then the rest of the mob if they criticise something. Typical for someone not having read the books to write something like that and feel all above the mob.*

22. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I think Lord of the Rings is a good example of fantasy that doesn't involve sex. That reviewer, as Hedwig's quote says, was trying to seem above the mob. And I'm with you as far as eclectic tastes. I read a variety. Also, I wouldn't say the stereotype that elaborate fantasy is for computer nerds is true. More that most people I know who read fantasy, have fun with embracing(although not seriously) some geekiness. It's nothing negative, and it isn't exclusive. Although I never associated it with computer programmers...I more associated it with my brother who was a big D & D player and read tons of fantasy...and so did his friends that he played D & D with. Certainly not the only types who read it, but it makes up a large demographic...and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of my friends in the online Lord of the Rings game I play are LARPers(Live Action Role Players). I think people get offended when someone says nerds like fantasy, only when they take being a nerd as negative.

Anyhow, love this show, and I'm loving the books so far.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  23. danceronice

I wondered that myself--if, to attract women, we have to have hunky men and romance, and to attract men we need "boobies!"....who are the complex plots and fantasy violence for?

Seriously I think the idea behind "they added the shirtless men to get the women viewers" is that women only like shows about "relationships". To keep us sensitive females tuning in, we must have romance, conversation about romance, women done wrong by men, and nice pretty costumes. (Or, if you're aiming for a certain demographic, you can throw in some Ho Yay relationships, too.) Because women, per the people who write stuff like this, want to see other women and they want to see emotional relationships--drama based on politics (unless it's politics "women like", ie women are better leaders than men, feed the doe-eyed urchins stuff, which in fairness often works for real politicians) just isn't appealing, and heaven forbid women like a good swordfight or gun battle! Women are just too civilized to like that sort of thing. Women like shows with lots of talking. (And shoes.)

At least in the minds of female reviewers and women who write for glossy magazines or the NYT, who tend to automatically assume that all women everywhere think exactly like they do.

Personally? Screw that, I'm gonna go hang with the steampunks and build a death ray. Why? I like the corsets and if you CAN build a death ray, why wouldn't you? Especially if it runs on steam.

24. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I love steampunk, danceronice. It's one reason I loved the opening sequence for Game of Thrones...all the gadgets and wheels as the castles assemble, etc. Very cool!

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

So this series is basically an x-rated version of LOTR? :lol: I watched it yesterday and found the sex scenes not as graphic as I had feared; certainly not to the Spartacus level. The most disturbing of course that last scene with the kid being pushed. Poor thing! :(

26. danceronice

Nah. LOTR had elves and magic and stuff. This...sorta does. But it's not the point. (And no pwetty pwetty pwincess elves at all.) There is some...supernatural stuff to come, but it's not easily slotted into D&D alignments.

Also, unlike most fantasy, even Tolkien, no one has plot armor. Anyone, even if you think they're a hero, can die a horrible violent bloody death at any time. So basically don't get attached to any characters because the odds are about 2-1 they're going to take an axe to the head at some point.

(Although, as the Pythons put it in the Upper-Class Twit of the Year sketch, "He's dead, but he's not necessarily out of it!")

27. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I read about the series on Wikipedia and am thankful my favourite character makes it through all the books. Between this and The Borgia's I am set for the summer.

The woman they got playing Cercei is perfect. I am happy that the series was renewed for another season. Though not looking forward to seeing other charcters I like dropping like flies...

28. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

HBO has a history of keeping actors whose characters are supposed to die. Lafayette anyone?

29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Make that all the books that are published so far; there are 3 more to come to complete the series. NO ONE is safe.

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Well as of book four my favourite character is still alive so I am good for a while anyway. LOL (yeah I checked wikipedia too :D )