HBO Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Apr 18, 2011.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

So the blondes and the Klingon with Boromir by their side will be fighting the child killing incestuous sibs? :watch:

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

If only it were that simple. (Unless they grossly simplified it for TV.)

And I am following my usual rule
    of getting totally screwed because Sean Bean never makes it out of a movie I like alive. Goldeneye, LOTR, though in fairness in that case and this it's not like I don't know it's coming. At least The Tudors has numbed me to beheadings.

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  3. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

The casting is just fantastic.
    Jamie Lannister ? WHOHOO :) Yum yum !
    The stark are all spot on.
    Cersei ... I will love hating her.
    Daenerys is fantastic, as her "husband". And the no he says are so what I imagined LOL !

The king ... Well he doesn't matter to me so I didn't pay that much attention to him.

And the "dogs" whooooooohooooo.

I loved it ! I have to watch that again tomorrow.

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Very happy! :)

I am of course nitpicky as my fandom for A Song of Ice and Fire is only surpassed by my fandom for figure skating and that only slightly. (to put things in perspective for you :lol: )

The only thing that really annoyed me was that Catelyn (wife of Ned Stark) tried to persuade him NOT to be hand of the king when in the books it was her and her ambition for her children that tried to persuade Ned to go. But I guess they did it in order to show how much she loves him and it would have been confusing for the viewers otherwise.

Other minor critisicms:
    Tyrion is not ugly enough (no mismatched eyes etc) but him being the dwarf and his struggles with it are seen easily enough.

Robb and Jon are too old. I can see why they went with boys older than 15 but they look like they are in their mid-twenties and that is too old. Some of their more childish struggles may in the future seem a bit weird...but we will see.

The dragon eggs were a disappointment. They are described as breathtakingly beautiful in the books but they were quite ugly.

Loved Arya (who is my favourite character in the books anyway along Tyrion, the Imp).

Daenerys and Drogo were of course a bit wrong. In the book, he is gentle to her for hours and massages her neck etc until she is ready for him. But in a way I found this take of the situation more real. I cannot imagine any scared 14 year old girl who is married to a savage stranger to be ready for sex even after hours of being massaged by said stranger.

hmmm, I try not to say too much that might give something away so I have to stop here.

5. Hedwig

Yeah, no one believed him. :(

I was sorry they cut one of my (many many) favorite lines from the book.

Bran (the little one) asks his father afterwards that Robb (his older brother) had said that the man had died bravely and that Jon (his bastard brother) had said that the man had been afraid.
    "Can a man still be brave if he is afraid?"
    Ned Stark:"That is the only time a man CAN be brave."

I am very excited so far. I think it shows that the author (George RR Martin) is heavily involved in the script writing so I think that they don't go too far from the storyline without him pulling a stop.

The ending scene was not surprising to me. ;) I don't lie when I say that I know the books nearly by heart. My boyfriend is reading them just now and when he says he is there and there I always shock him by answering with exact citations and details. :lol:

Whenever I can I try to read books in their native language. In English it is a no brainer as it is as easy for me to read in English as in German. For a book the size of AGoT I have to look up maybe two words or so. And that is more than overcompansated by all the little things that cannot be translated to another language like games with words or words that have a slightly different meaning in one language than in the other and so on.
    One example: Wolverine in German is directly translated to "much-eater". In the books, Arya has the saying: "Fierce as a wolverine" which sounds pretty cool in English. In German "Fierce as a much-eater" sounds very stupid and not very fierce. ;)

Other languages are harder. I try to read in French but my French is not good enough to really enjoy it. But on the other hand, this was how I mostly learned English so I keep on trying...

emason and (deleted member) like this.
  6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Rats. Now I'm going to have to read the stupid books. I couldn't get past the 3rd book in the Wheel of Time series. Loved LOTR and read/listened to it multiple times. I hope this is somewhere between the two.

7. Hedwig

I promise you a great experience!! :)

And a great frustration after you have read the then last book A Dance with Dragons as the series is not finished yet. (pulls out her hair in frustration)

The wait for the Harry Potter books was nothing in comparison!!

I also loved LOTR but ASOIAF is much much better IMO.

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Hasn't book 5 taken 5 years for him to write? :shuffle: At this rate, he'll be dead before book 7. I'll be ordering the books this payday, but...

For LOTR, I will say that FOTR was really weak with the 'Bombadil prancing in the forest' crap. Happy that was cut from the movie. But I HATED how they tried to show Aragorn as torn between Arwen and Eowyn. I actually read the books in between movies 2 & 3 and spent most of movie 3 going 'nope, nope, WTF, nope'... :lol: Wonder if I'll be doing the same with SOF&I?

9. Hedwig

Well, one thing is certain and that was so from the beginning: No tv series can ever be as good as the books.
    All the internal struggles and nuances cannot be brought across in the tv series. So whoever has read the books or will read them, there will be instances when one is "No way!!!"
    But so far, they have done a great job in trying to get the feeling and the characters across. Some come about absolutely the opposite compared to the books but one of the things I love about ASOIAF is how multi-dimensional the characters are. You love them on one page and then you hate them on the next. So maybe they try the same with the tv series and some of the characters will evolve.

And dbell, yeah, your fear worries me too. GRRM is already so damn old. And he takes ages to write.
    I hope there is another parallel to Harry Potter. JKR said many times that the middle of the series was hardest for her. But once she had all laid out, the last two books were easy to write.
    Hope dies last and Gods be good ( ;) a saying from the book), it will be the same here...

I wonder how you will like the books! :) Keep us informed, you and rfisher both!!

10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I think Martin made it a point to explain the last books have been outlined and he already has notes on what should happen to the main characters. Don't know whether or not that's his idea of reassuring fans...It would be nice if the last two books in the series take slightly less than 5 years each :p. In his defense, some of the other series he's writing like Dunk and Egg are somewhat related to ASoIaF, but take place a few hundred years before.

And :cheer2: for everyone who's reading the books after the HBO show. I was hoping that would happen and it's nice to see it actually has.

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

So damn old? Watch it, sister, 62 is not old. Some of us here are even older.

As for taking ages to write, Martin is not the only one. Janny Wurts is another one; her books, starting with Curse of the Mistwraith, about Lysaer and his half-brother Arithon, take forever between installments. I finally gave up on the series when Wurts had the protagonists drink a longevity potion and I realized the main characters were going to live for another five hundred years. I am going to be dead and in my grave before Wurst brings any semblance of plot resolution to her series.

12. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I read the books a couple years ago (in 10 days - I was on vacation, and that's about all I did was read), and loved them, however, my friend didn't warn me that the series was not finished before she loaned them to me. I thought book 4 was the end. Ack.

I was much pleased with the HBO version - in fact I ordered HBO just to watch this series. I've never had HBO before now.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Hedwig

:slinkaway

;)

It must be kind of :) and :mad: at the same time for GRRM that he is asked quite regularly whether he thinks he can finish the series in his lifetime. It is nice to be cherished that much but having people remind you constantly that you are already past middle age must be a bit disconcerting as well...
    But if I think about how long it took him from book 1 to book 2 and then much much later from book 4 to book 5, I don't want to extrapolate how long we must wait for the next book...then he would need to be at least a hundred....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Saying someone is past middle age is one thing; saying someone is 'so damn old' is another. I'm 64 going on 65 and don't feel 'so damn old' in the slightest. My grandmother, who died at 96, was old. OK, rant over, back to the books and TV series.

I am currently sitting around waiting for Time Warner Cable to show up and fix my cable box so I can actually watch this thing. If they don't show up soon, I'll have to go back to rereading the first book to get my fix. One thing that startles me is how King's Landing looks; I picture Winterfell as a frozen northern Scotland and King's Landing as a more faux London; I didn't expect KL to look so hot and Mediterranean. Was I not paying attention to something in the books that I should have?

15. Hedwig

Oh, I am sorry, I wasn't aware that I offended you and I didn't want that at all!

The "so damn old" part for me was only in relation to the books and how long it takes for him to write it and not because I think he is past his prime or anything (as one can see every time he actually WRITES something).

I am sorry that it came across as thinking that 62 is "so damn old" in general because that wasn't what I meant AT ALL!!

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

OK, no harm, no foul as we say. Case closed.

17. Hedwig

good. :)

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Ratings numbers are out and as expected, HBO renews for second season.

19. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm not surprise at all. My facebook feed has be covered up with people talking about this show.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I didn't expect King's Landing to be as warm, either but looking at the Westeros map again, it makes sense there would be significant climate differences. I guess Riverun/Eyrie would be closer to London and KL is ...Adriatic coast? I've forgotten how many weeks it took Baratheon and his court to get from Kings Landing to Winterfell, but I never paid much attention to that since they had huge carriages and boatloads of attendants. Hence, wouldn't have been traveling very fast anyway.

21. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I think the queen, was it?, said that it took a month. I could be remembering wrong though.

22. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I think it's certainly plausible to make that connection.The shape of the map is more like South America.

23. Hedwig

When Robert tries to persuade Ned to come to Kings Landing with him he tells him how hot it is in King's Landing and that girls forget all their modesty in the heat and run around half naked. So it does seem as if KL has a sort of Mediterranean climate.

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

But, the scene ended before anything "happened" so who knows. There may be more that we haven't seen yet. Just a guess.

Well, apparently Peter Dinklage was pretty much everyones (including Martin's) only choice for Tyrion, and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau as Jamie? Total yum. If you have access to HULU take a look at the short-lived series New Amsterdam - I think it was pretty good - and he's the star.

Unfortunately it's not out on DVD, so this is the only way to see it. Maybe a rise in interest will bring a release.

25. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Somehow I just did not pick up on this, but then again, these books are so densely packed with plot and info. Anyhow, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

My cable TV is now restored so I am off to watch Episode 1.

26. Hedwig

27. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

A Game of Thrones thread! :cheer2:

And I just read that HBO has confirmed a second season :)

I was very pleased with the first episode of this TV adaptation. I think they really got the story and, considering all the characters introduction they had to do, the rhythm of the episode was quite good.

There were lot of well done moments but one that really surprised me was the crypt scene when King Robert was remembering Lyanna, Mark Addy really sold it.

Hedwig and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Hedwig

Whee, another fan of the books!! You know about the book 5 announcement I guess? A Dance with Dragons will be out in July. :cheer:

29. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

I´ve it preordered for my kindle :cheer: I basically Wheeee loudly when the date of publication was announced :lol:

To be honest I was expecting the book to be published close to the series TV start. It was perfect timing and the end of a long waiting :drama: (even if in my case it has been just slightly more than three years since I discovered the books.)

2011 is being a great year for ASOIAF fans :D

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I guess I need to pick up the first volume so I can know what's happening on the program each week. Stopping at the bookstore on the way home.