HBO Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link: I agree with everything you said and my books arrived today! I wonder if they enjoy these panels. I suspect Comic-Con might not be looked upon as your average press junket. My wish would be that they enjoy the craziness and fanfare as much as we enjoy watching (and reading) Thrones.
  2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Kit Harington reminds me of this year's version of Orlando Bloom. Non threatening teens that look like they could blow away...

Nikolaj and Jason, on the other hand? :swoon:
  3. mindy74

mindy74 Well-Known Member

I think Kit Harington looked like a deer caught in the headlights most of the time. There were a few shots of him smiling but mostly he looked nervous, shy, and scared. It's cute, though. My friend Jason was annoyed that Richard Madden wasn't there...he has a MAJOR crush on him and I have to download eps of Richard's BBC show Sirens for him.

Did anyone watch the vids of the panel? Jason Momoa made some comment (in answer to a question about HBO vs SyFy, I think?) about "raping beautiful women" and the whole cast/writers just face-palmed, like WTF did this dude just say?. Tumblr has loads of great pics and gifs of this moment; it was pretty hilarious despite the stupid comment.
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

In his defense this series does have a lot of that stuff. The Wildings and Ironborn are all about kidnapping and raping women as a cherrished custom.
  5. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Jason did stand up and hold out Emilia's chair when she came out on the stage. Since the only woman we saw Drogo take by force was Dany, I thought he was trying to compliment Emilia? Or I could be totally off and he needs to be slapped...
  6. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

Must be my rude Euro mindset :saint: but I got that he was clearly joking how un-PC and even eeek can be this series when the big story love of this season (unless you´re in the Cat-Ned, as moi, or even Cersei-Jaime LOL camp) starts with a marital rape but the couple grows to what seems true love and mutual respec. But of course I guess it sounded better on his mind that once it went out of his mouth :p

Momoa :grope: and Nikolaj too, but what I really liked is how fun and relaxed both guys seemed. I think this is Harrington first big work so probably he was kind of nervous, and then being asked about posters over teen beds I doubt helped him to be a bit less.

I approve of King Lobster Stannis, Ser Davos and Melissandre casting :smokin:, although I don´t know a lot about the actress.
    dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Grumble.... I am not happy with the casting for Stannis. But if you guys are too busy with Momoa and Nikolaj to pay much attention to Kit Harrinton, I will gladly comfort him on behalf of us all. :EVILLE:
  8. mindy74

Uh, stand in line! They can have Momoa...I would take Nikolaj but Kit Harington, Richard Madden and Sean Bean are my top 3 GoT crushes! Have a thing for the Stark men, I guess :) Ned was my main book crush and I've always had a soft spot for Jon Snow. Robb I loved mostly because he was Ned's son and a Stark, but with Madden playing the role I appreciate him for, um, well, other attributes.
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is an impressive list of hotties on that show. :hat1:

I only wish that season 2 would be showing in the fall and not have to wait until spring next year. :( BTW There was a nice little interview with Martin on the CBC network over the weekend and glad to see him getting some well deserved acclaim.
  10. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah, this show would be a lot more fun to watch in winter, since "winter is coming" is always being said. Instead, "winter is coming" makes me think "no it isn't...it's in the 70's and headed toward summer. HOT" lol.
  11. mindy74

Filming for season 2 started yesterday! Now begins the daily stalking of various sites for pics, tweets, reports, etc.

Carice van Houten, who is playing Melisandre, tweeted this lovely pic, which I could not stop staring at for a full 5 minutes: http://yfrog.com/kepvropj

Producers also confirmed the name change of Asha Greyjoy to Yara, which I don't really understand since it's so close to Arya? But I guess they figure audiences won't be confused with a major character like Arya vs the relatively minor characters of Osha and Asha.
  12. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

WHAT the heck ??? Changing a name ?????????????
  13. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

ITA with the change. It's damn hard to keep up with the characters in this series--it's one of the reasons I decided to read the books. :lol: I don't think Arya and Yara really sound alike at all.

"Asha" and "Osha" on the other hand...depending on your region and speech/hearing patterns, I know there's a big chunk of the US that would hear those as the same name and be very confused. Might make for some really interesting, really garbled synopsis though.
  14. mindy74

Gemma Whelan is confirmed as Asha--I mean Yara--Greyjoy.
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/02/game-of-thrones-greyjoy-asha/

Her pic/name has been around for awhile but this is the official confirmation. I like her look. She has also done stand up comedy which will come in handy when her and Theon first meet up as adults...some of my fave scenes in the entire series.
  15. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

16. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I wish he were playing Stannis but I can't have everything. LOL
  18. Verbalgirl77

Seriously, he's hot! http://i55.tinypic.com/f0qnv7.jpg

It seems like Ygritte might be hard to cast. They still have to cast
    the Boltons and the Reed kids too
    , although I'd think they'd need to announce them all pretty soon.
  19. mindy74

I was at work when I saw the pics of this guy and I stared at my screen for about 5 minutes. I can't recall a show with more hot men than this one. This dude is :smokin:

I read they are still auditioning for Ygritte. Frankly I hated her in the books so I hope they cast someone that I can at least enjoy on the screen.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  20. mindy74

More casting news:
    Hannah Murray from Skins cast as Gilly. Some had suggested her for Ygritte but I didn't see that at all. Gilly works though.

Roy Dotrice as Pyromancer Hallyne.

Still looking forward to: Ygritte, Meera and Jojen Reed, Mance Rayder.
  21. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Roy Dotrice is interesting. He is the reader for the audio books! So it is probably a sentimental role.
  22. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yehudi--if I didn't mention it before--I am green with envy. Nice swag.
  24. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

25. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I dont' have anything valuable to add about the second season, but I'm finally about 1/3 through A Clash of Kings and I love it!! If I could skip work to just keep reading...I would. The only thing that bothers me is at this point, it's been awhile since my favorite character had a chapter, and I had to jump to the end of the book to make sure he survived haha.

One of my predictions for the future books:
    Jon isn't Ned Stark's son. I'm not quite sure yet, but I feel like there's a connection between Lyanna and Jon. I guess I'll have to read faster to find out!
  26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is actually a very popular theory out there about that and I will be very disappointed if it is proven true. His parentage has been much discussed and has not been settled for sure yet. My own assertion is that Ned really is Jon's father and as to who his mother is; maybe Ashara Dayne, but I honestly do not care much. What is going on right now in the story is much more important.
  27. mindy74

I've read she's a really good actress but she's almost too pretty to be Jeyne. Jeyne was girl next door, pretty but plain...this woman is kinda hot. But if she's a good actress, she'll be able to pull it off, hopefully! Or maybe they are going with "sexier" since she'll be having scenes with Richard Madden :swoon:

I wonder if they will cast Lady Westerling for this season, who we find out later was in league with the Lannisters to take down Robb, and was using potions to keep her daughter from getting pregnant.
  28. mindy74

ITA. I don't want Jon to be part of the
    Targaryen family

Also some think
    Septa Lenore may be Ashara Dayne...and Tyrion noted that she looked like she had borne a child
  29. Verbalgirl77

I get the impression that they're going to show a lot more of that storyline than in the books (hence her showing up this early on the show), so I think that will be the case. Oona is on the BBC show The Hour playing a supporting character, so people can check her out there. I think the first episode is free on iTunes in the US right now.
  30. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

31. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Gniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.
    I am dying !
  32. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a television fantasy series done on this scale? And I remain jealous of Yehudi!
  33. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I bought the first 4 (all 4?) books for my Kindle. Can't wait to begin reading. I imagine the books are superior to the show because of all the detail. The show is already great, so if the books are better...
  34. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I think there are five books now. I am up to where Ned got his head chopped off. But I've allowed myself to be utterly spoiled over everything. Love the TV Series so far. Haven't touched the books yet but am determined to do so.
  35. Orable

Orable New Member

Ohhh my God, just realized that Richard Madden (Robb Stark) is Scottish in real life. Cue sexy Scottish accent and cue Orable swooning :swoon: