HBO Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

she thinks that the lannisters tried to kill bran. she has no proof. and one would think she would be able to know Littlefinger a bit better considering they grew up tohether.
    in the end it turns out it was lysa who killed Jon Arryn and not the Lannisters.

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Curse the spoilers in this thread that I feel compelled to look at :p lol

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

More to the point, she was DEAD long before most of the actions, particularly the second season, occur. (Of course they played rather fast and loose with timelines and actors anyway--has anyone ever explained how Rubio the slave grows to adulthood while Vorenus and Pullo are off on campaign and Octavian later ages out of his first actor while Vorenus's "children" (and his wife's bastard son) should be in their thirties by the end of the series and yet are still teens at the oldest? For that matter, apparently if you go by dates of battles Eirene is pregnant for much longer than is normal, giving Melanie in Gone With the Wind a run for her money in the implausbily-long fictional pregnancy department. Never, ever sit down and do the math on how old characters in Rome should be based on when events depicted actually occurred.)

With ASoIaF, I can't blame them for having to make cuts, as they're doorstopper books with a TON of details. Though fantasy fans are probably more hardcore than scholars of Roman history about nitpicking!

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Spoiler comments about book four:

So is Jon going to bite the dust in book 5? Considering the author has not special loyalty to any of the characters, and seeing as how easily he got rid of both Joffery and his father, I would not be surprised if he did. They were two of the most wicked of bad guys and now both gone! :( And I am having a harder time with book 4 because so many of the characters in this book are ones up till now were marginal at best and so many others are just not in it at all. That said I am happy that Sansa has final stopped acting like a total door knob. ANd that whole thing about switching babies is just silly but that is just me. Looking forward to reading book five and finding out what happens to Dany, Jon, Davos, Bran, the Reed kids and others. I want to see if Jon ever gets to read his brother's will and if he will obey his final wishes. Will Ser Barristan finally tell Dany the truth about her father? Guess I will have to wait until book 5 to find out. LOL

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Jamie Lannister is Joffrey's father and he was still very much alive, albeit maimed at the end of book 4. Robert Baratheon -who thought he was Joffrey's biological father- was hardly a wicked bad guy. Plenty of bad habits and not exactly a cerebral character, but definitely not inherently bad. Unless you mean Tywin Lannister, but he was Joffrey's grandfather. Wasn't sorry to see the end of his scheming...

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Damn these black-out lines. Clearly, I must read faster so they won't be spoilers anymore. I'm DYING. Though the prevelance of the :( emoticon does not overjoy me muchly. I mislike it, as Tyrion would say.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah that's who I meant. His grandfather not father sorry.
    :slinkaway

8. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Just finished Book 1...:eek:

Can't wait to start the next one.

9. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Book 4 is annoying me. A lot. I'm hoping it stops doing that soon.

10. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Just curious - annoying in what way?

11. Hedwig

Book 4 was my least favorite too. But then youhave to remember it is reallyOnly half a book as grrm divided the book by characters and we will hear the story about the remaining characters in a dance with dragons. I thought the idea did not work as it really feels like being left hanging in a way. I expect that the book will be more enjoyable in himdsight as soon as the next one comes out.

(excuse my typos. On my iphone in the most boring seminar ever addliczed on womankind)

12. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Don't hope too much. And I fear book 5 is gonna be the same :(

13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Has anyone listened to these on audio (I'm positive Hedwig surely has?)
    I have a 50% coupon at Borders and am going to see if they have the first book. I absolutely love listening to both HP and LOTR on audio. I read so fast there are always things I miss that I catch on the audio book.

14. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

15. Hedwig

I have indeed. :lol: the first three books are great on audio. Tue forth is read by someone else and I have a hard time with the new voice

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

No worries. I just got very attached to Jamie since
    he pulled Brienne out of the river instead of letting her drown in book 3. And I knew that meant GRRM put him on the path to redemption which could only end with him dying heroically but I don't like being reminded of that fact
    -or having it happen sooner than it should.

17. rfisher

All right! My 50% off coupon at borders is going for the book. I love getting multidisc audio books for long trips.

18. Hedwig

I love it too. I often use audio books when jogging. That is perfect in order not to get bored.
    Roy Dotrice is the guy who reads the first three books. He is doing the 5th again. :)
    He wasn't available for the 4th. I hope he will maybe record it as well at a later time...He sometimes makes weird mistakes like getting the emphasis on a sentence wrong so that it means something else but he is great in doing the different characters like Jim Dale and Stephen Fry did for the HP books. (yes, I have both versions. :eek: )

19. rfisher

:lol: I loved Jim Dale. Until he changed the voice for Professor Black's portrait in the last book. :mad:

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah that is my fear as well. I have grown to like Jaime and hope he have a happy ending but I doubt it very much.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

emason,
    not enough Tyrion, Cersei is too nasty to and dismissive of Tommen, which is totally out of character for her, Jaime is a doormat, too much Dorne, not enough dragons, not enough Arya (and I hate her 'house of the holy' plot, Jon Snow took a total 180 since he inherited the 'wall', lots of loose plots. Bran's disappeared and only shows up to dream, Rickon's totally written out of the book so far, and they keep hinting that Theon, the Hound and the Onion Knight are dead/alive/something. Brienne's off on some mission to walk a lot/do stupid stuff? Oh, and Catelyn the deathwalker pulled out of the river by a dreaming Arya/Nymeria? Really? :wall:
    I'm 480 pages in and hoping for a big payoff... :lol:

Hedwig - thanks for that clearing up, it makes sense and makes me hope Book 5 makes up for a lot of my thoughts above...

22. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I must say I can't stand how he voices Tyrion though. He makes him sound like the leprechaun from the Lucky Charms commericals.

It completely jars with the image of Peter Dinklage, which is how I picture Tyrion in my mind's eye now.

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

dbell1, thanks, I see where you are coming from now.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

New episode tonight! :cheer:

25. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

I canĀ“t wait!

I really liked the last episode, lot of great quotes (Varys and Tyrion who :kickass: ) and eeeeeek moments :scream: with Lysa and SweetRobin, poor boy :(, and Sir Gregor smashes (horses and whatever crosses his way).

Loved the Eyrie :inavoid: and Cersei/Robert conversation.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  26. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

If you have HBO Go, you can also watch episode 7 online after 6 airs. Can't wait!!

27. Hedwig

Oh, that sounds exciting! I hope I will be able to get episode 7 as well tomorrow. :watch:

28. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I googled, and found that Time Warner Cable is in talks with HBO Go as well...so I hope I can get access to it soon as well :)

29. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I've always wanted a crown of gold.....but now, not so much. :scream:

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Just finished watching episode 6.... ick... but in a good way! :D

About book four
    Finally finished book four and it is proof that more time spent writting a novel does not necessarily equal to a better book. LOL But have to admit anything to do with Jaime has me enthralled so all that about Jaime to the end made B4 more enjoyable towards the end. But now I am sad because I want Jaime to have a happy ending but we all know he will not. buggers....