HBO Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

The premiere was yesterday.
    Has anyone been able to see it? (With the time difference I will only be able to see it now)

I cannot wait to see how they adapt the wonderfully twisted books. :watch:

And I am especially interested in hearing comment from people who don't know the books and only the TV series. The books are really quite complicated and full of twists and tons of people. I wonder if it is easy to follow for people who haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire?

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I watched and have no idea who most of the characters are. :lol: It is visually stunning however.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

:)

That sounds good!! (I am counting the hours until I can get home to see it :lol:)

If you have any questions regarding the characters I am happy to answer. ;) I know the books by heart. And that is not an exaggeration. :lol:

4. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

5. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

I watched it with my husband and son (adult). Neither of them had read the books but I had. They were mostly confused about what was going on. Having read the books, I had it pretty much figured out, and liked it despite the usual HBO smut and gore*

* my opinion is that HBO overdoes the sex and violence in its shows -- largely because it can sort of thing. I am not opposed to sex and violence in shows where it helps the plot along, but HBO shows seem to be gratuitous (IMHO again).

6. rfisher

There was a lot of both. Beheadings, guttings, public sex, dwarf sex, incestous sex. And that was the first 30 minutes.

7. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Is it wrong of me that I now want to watch this because of the possibility of dwarf-on-dwarf public sex after a beheading where it's revealed that they could be related?

I'm imagining a V.C. Andrews take on it: A Game of Dwarves In the Attic. That would be AWESOME.

emason and (deleted member) like this.
  8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

There's an awful lot of sex and violence in the books; I don't think HBO can be overdoing it in this case.

I haven't seen it yet, though, as my cable has been out since Wednesday, and Time Warner can't get here until tomorrow to fix it.

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I can't imagine it's possible to overdo ASoIaF as far as violence goes. I mean, what could you possibly do to make it more violent? Introduce tactical nukes?

I'll see it when it's on DVD or if they do a free preview. I'm just laughing at the one "review" that was basically like "This is such a 'guy show' and they just put in some pretty men so women might watch." Because women don't read ASoIaF. (And that was a female reviewer.) Also enjoyed the WSJ's tv reviewer (who I think is also a woman, actually) completely miss the point that it's not "the middle ages."

10. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

I agree the books are violent with lots of sex, however they are not super detailed in a "his entrails hung dripping from his abdomen" kind of way. There are ways to shoot scenes that either embrace the gore and sex or can be less than graphic. IMHO HBO always films on the side of graphic.

11. Nan

Nan Just me

I don't have HBO so I'll be waiting to see if it gets to video. The good part is that I'll be able to hear about it here first and decide if I want to invest the time and money. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I watched and thought it was great, although I was joking with friends about how HBO always has to find a way to show boobs in their shows. It's sort of a "much ado about nothing" though, anymore. It was shocking back when they first started doing it, because TV was so conservative. These days it's like "eh, human body, who cares."

Love Sean Bean.

I have read part of the first book(in the middle of reading it), and thought they did the opening scene very well, although they left out the fact that he climbed a tree. Poor guy getting beheaded just because he was scared and ran :(.

13. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

The casting is FANTASTIC. Whoohoo.
    Loved it. Am gonna watch it again in an hour or so, just the time for me to shower a bit.

14. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Watching Sean Bean requires me to take a cold shower as well ;)

Also, tribal guy reminded me of a klingon a bit, without the forehead stuff. He was also kinda hot...if he'd only say something other than "No." lol

15. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:lol: Klingon.

We had HBO free this weekend and I normally love things like this, so I was happy to tune in. Have never read the books and had no idea there's a cult following and 7 seaons planned. After HBO and their co-funders cut "Rome" after 2 1/2 seasons due to the cost, I have no hopes for them to film all 7 seasons. Hopefully I'm wrong. They seem to be pulling out all stops for marketing this one - maybe it'll go the distance?

Thought the opening credits were visually stunning - I smell an Emmy for cinematography. Those winter zombies are pretty freaking scary. Tomboy sister showing up younger brother with the bow and arrow was funny. Gasped out loud at the ending scene (which I'll wait for Hedwig to see so I won't ruin it). Fuzzy little wolf puppies - I want one.

Sean Bean is looking haggard, but still hot. White blond sister doesn't look happy to be married off to King No. Still trying to figure out names and stuff - these characters really need name tags. :p

I'm now going to order HBO.

Question for the book fans - are you excited or annoyed so far?

16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I watched it and I loved the first episode. They followed the book very closely; the casting is fantastic. Everybody is a little older than I imagined, but as it is set in alternative- Middle Ages, the "older look" makes sense. No way they could show a truly 12-year- old Dani, for example; and Jon and Rob are hardly 15-year-olds. But the "spirit" of characters was exactly right, I felt. In fact, so much so that I already can visualize these actors while thinking about the book, and that is extremely rare. Visually stunning, too. I'll certainly keep watching. It will inevitably have lots of gore and sex, but so do the books. I hope they follow the story and not stray into completely different direction, like "True Blood" did.
    To answer the previous post- after last night I am definitely excited.
    I was a big fan of "Rome"- one of my favorite series; this one promises to be just as visually interesting. I hope- if they keep up the quality- it is a success.

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

LOL @ "King No." I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. I agree that they definitely need name tags or something lol.

Yes, the ending scene was very surprising, although a friend who read the books said that it wasn't. It sounds as if they're sticking to the books fairly closely so far.

I want a dire wolf puppy too :(.

ETA http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/episodes/1/01-winter-is-coming/synopsis?cmpid=ABC794 synopsis of the first episode. Helps with the names a bit. Not that I'll remember them all until the 4th or 5th episode :lol:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  18. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I watched last night. Found it a bit confusing, but will still continue to watch.

There's nothing else worth watching at 9:00pm on Sundays.

19. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

While I was watching the first episode, I was reminded of what my friend told me before I started reading the books "Don't get invested in a character because most of them don't last long."

I love it though. It was more brutal than I thought HBO would do, but I think it's visually one of the best series put on the silver screen.

20. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It turned into a running joke with fans of the series..."every time someone asks George about a release date for his next book, one of the 'good guys' dies." I thought the series was very well done, but I did have to do quite a bit of explaining about who was who and how they were related since I had read the books and the two friends I was watching with did not.

For example, it might have been easier to show all three Lannister siblings together in King's Landing and then separate them, instead of introducing Tyrion later on. Minor gripes aside, Northern Ireland's forests look stunning in this :D. Also, Joffrey Lannister did look his age, unlike Jon and Rob Stark
    so he wasn't quite as much of a 'latent threat' as I expected him to be based on the books

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

You haven't read the books, have you.

Don't get attached to ANYONE. Even if you think they have plot armor. Just don't. Game of Thrones starts bad, and the following books are textbook examples of It Got Worse. After, what, three books, now, there are MAYBE two or three characters I'm fairly sure aren't going to die horribly. But it's entirely possible I'm wrong.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Hahaha, nice. And no I haven't read the books. I've only started the first one and I'm a few chapters in.

24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

OT question for Hedwig: I'm just curious, did you read the books translated into German or did you read them in the original English? I guess what I really want to know is whether people who speak more than one language routinely read in the other languages or do they more often choose their native tongue.

Back to discussing Game of Thrones: there are 4 characters on my list who might make it to the end. Everyone else is fair game for killing off. This is a brutal series.

25. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

TMI. :rofl:

26. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

My only nitpick is that they did not show Drogo waiting until Dani said Yes- as it is important for their future relationship and the arc of the story. Otherwise, perfect. Love the way everybody is cast, but particularly Lannisters. Tyrion, Cercei, Jaime- just how I saw them in my mind. Tyrion, particularly- young, smart, attractive face, just as it had to be. Arya is great, as well; and Dani is close to perfect. I would have had her younger, but the whole "face of a child, body of a woman" is just right

27. rfisher

Is Dani the blonde married to the Klingon?

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Yes -:rofl: at the summary. She's also from the House of Targaryen, who ruled King's Landing before the Lannisters took over.

29. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

:lol:
    She sure is.
    But I think of the books as "the Other Middle Ages", and Khal Drogo is close to how Genghis Khan might have been, so no complaints there. Just wish they had shown him gentle as well as violent. Not to reveal too much, but Dani has to be in love with him pretty soon, and he has to treat her well, even though their lives are nomadic and hard.

30. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Dani and bro definitely had a Dollanganger look to them
    interesting since it was tradition in their family for the King to marry his sister