HBO- Cinema Verite

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by olympic, Apr 24, 2011.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Anyone interested in Reality TV should check out HBO's 'Cinema Verite', which is a movie starring Diane Lane, Tim Robbins and James Gandolfini, and is currently airing this month.

http://www.hbo.com/movies/cinema-verite/index.html

The movie goes behind the making of THE original reality show series, 'An American family' which aired on PBS in 1973 [some of you may remember it when it aired :eek: :shuffle: ]. Significant because it contained TV's very first gay character [son Lance Loud].

Perhaps in this age of cynicism, it wouldn't mean anything, but its historically significant. It rankled the feathers of the public back in the early 1970s, and still drew millions of viewers to PBS

Check it out...

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I dvr'd it, but haven't watched it yet. The review I saw was positive about it.

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I really think you'll enjoy it. I love Diane Lane, and it's great to see James Gandolfini as something other than a tuff guy/mafioso. I'm a sucker for historical programs, ie- programs that show a historically specific event in time, whether recent or ancient.

I also am interested in the fact that we are so inundated with media now, all these reality twits are a dime a dozen, and doing anything for 15 minutes of notoriety, whereas this first reality show in 1973 was considered 'cinema verite' and thus considered art. There was a whole process behind which is laid out in the movie. Also, the producers had some scruples, just like today :p

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Sounds very interesting and like something I would like. Thanks for the heads up.