Have you ever skated with a famous skater?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by quebecoise, Oct 22, 2010.

1. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

I am curious to know with who do you have skated at the same time? It can be someone you trained with, a former skater now coach who is there for an other student, someone who was at your skating's club shows or an other event, etc. The important is that you had your skates on, the ''famous-known'' skater had his/her skates too, it was at the same time and same ice. That person has/had to be a senior skater in his/her country.

I have been on the same ice(at same time) as:
    Joannie Rochette
    Cynthia Phaneuf
    Bryce Davison
    Craig Buntin
    Guillaume Gfeller
    Ian Martinez
    Andrea Chong
    Nicholas Young
    Arseni Markov
    Eric Radford
    Marc-André Craig

2. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Alexander Abt :D came here with Rafael Arutunian. Sarah Meier was her too but I had no blades at the time.

ETA: And I forgot the obvious! Jenna McCorkell, Neil Wilson, Matthew Davies and any other skater from Northern Ireland. Oh and Clara Peters.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I took a workshop from Alissa Czisny (and Jonathan Cassar, but I'm not sure he's famous).

And was in a show finale with Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig.

I'm pretty middle of nowhere though, so not too many famous skaters make their way to my rink.

4. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

I have taken lessons with Ruslan Goncharov (MISS HIM, he is so nice!!), Daniil Barantsev, Denis Petukhov, and Augie Hill. I used to share the ice on a daily basis with the Miami synchro skaters. I have been on the ice with Jennifer Wester, Melissa Gregory, and Elizabeth Kwon, for those of you who remember her.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Famous for having a gorgeous spread eagle, for sure.

6. Ageless

Ageless Member

I shared training ice for several years with our current Olympic Men's gold medalist. Of course he was about two feet shorter then!

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I used to share the ice with the Shibutanis, back when they were tiny. I have shared ice with Peter Tchernyshev, Naomi Lang, Chris and Cathy Reed, Maks Zavozin, the Zaretskys, Anna Zadorozhniuk and Sergei Verbillo, Shen and Zhao, Allison Reed, John Zimmerman, Sylvia Fontana, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting.

I currently sometimes share the ice with Ksenia Makarova, Igor Lukanin, Kristen Fraser, Viktor Petrenko, Mathew Gates, Eve Chalom, Oleg Voyko, and a few others.

I skate all around the NJ/NY area, and there's a wealth of top level skaters here.

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yes, but I'd prefer not to say who they are to keep my anonymity.
    I will say, though, that my experience is like what Ageless describes, because most of them were several years younger and several inches shorter than they are now :)

9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Let's see.

She was Greg's brat little sister back in the 1970's.

His older brother Seth was really cool. Played in the jazz band at my high school plus had his own garage band. I remember being on very early morning patch sessions with him.

Haven't been on the ice with him, but do have a great picture of me looking like a love-struck groupie (I was in my 40's at the time :shuffle:) at the Kansas City Adult Nationals competitor's party.

Once told her to get out of my way after the fourth time she interfered with me and my Intermediate moves while I was in a lesson.

These two can stir up wind when they pass you (while you are plastered to the boards in hope that you don't get in their way :lol:)

Ditto.

If you ever need to take a dance test, this is the guy you want to skate with. (From what I hear and can see, he is a totally awesome coach too.)

Didn't test with this guy, but did collide with him on a freestyle session. I was doing those dreaded Intermediate moves in the clockwise direction and he was doing a dance with a student and BAM! Also took an interesting seminar from him.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Mandy Woetzel is a coach at my rink so I am on the ice with her all the time. She has some very interesting exercises when she has done seminars with the skaters like easter eggs on spoons. Great fun and lovely person.

11. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Ginny Baxter gave me skating lessions when I was a kid (she lived a few houses up). How about photo shoots?

12. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

If you skate in any of the figure skating training hubs, it's almost hard not to end up on the ice with elite skaters from time to time. I was recently on a session with Yu-Na Kim, Mirai Nagasu and Caroline Zhang at the same time. Others I've been on the ice with in the past few years include Evan Lysacek, Carolina Kostner, Scott Hamilton, Miki Ando, Adam Rippon, Takahiko Kozuka, Rena Inoue & John Baldwin, John Zimmerman, Kyoko Ina, Elene Gedevanishvili, Oksana Baiul, Oksana "Pasha" Grishuk, Jenni Meno & Todd Sand. Keeping out of Carolina Kostner's way while she skated her long program got my "best exercise" award, while "scariest to practice with" goes to John & Rena during throw jumps! :yikes:

13. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I competed in Senior Men in Canada.... so basically all of the famous Canadian ones I've skated with or competed against for the past 12 years lol.

14. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

Mirko Mueller was my spin coach. Skated on the same ice as Kevin Van der Perrin (and paid for his FS sessions), Kristy Yamaguchi, Elena Bechke, and Paul Wiley. That's all -- I never skated in a major training center.

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

How was he for teaching spins? I remember him and Peggy Schwarz doing the best sbs camel spins ever.

16. Alexei'sgirl

Alexei'sgirl Member

I almost got run over one day by Tiffany Scott and Rusty Fein (Rusty more so than Tiffany), and Naomi Lang and Mark Fitzgerald used to coach at my rink. I've also been on the ice with Rocky Marval when he fixed my blade.

17. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Bebe Liang, Danielle Kahle, Sasha Cohen... I'm sure there are others.

Doubletoe, you skate at Artesia? I was pondering popping by to skate a session for fun.

18. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

Trying to think back from my beginnings til now..

Nancy Kerrigan
    Paul Wylie
    Jenny Kirk
    Surya Bonaly
    Evan Lysacek
    Ryan Bradley
    Jeffrey Buttle
    Sasha Cohen
    Michelle Kwan
    Karen Kwan
    Mirai Nagasu
    Caroline Zhang
    Lucinda Ruh
    Bebe Liang
    Danielle Kahle
    Emily Hughes
    Oksana Grishuk
    Inoue/Baldwin
    Leftheris/Nari Nam
    Meno/Sand
    Johnny Weir
    Krylova/Ovsyannikov

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I can recall. Most considerate award goes to Michelle Kwan for yielding to me on many occasions. Bitchiest award goes to Sasha Cohen for taking up all the ice without doing much of anything, and yielding to no one despite standard right of way rules. She's nice off the ice, though.

19. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Are Lucinda's spins as cool in person?

20. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

I took some spin lessons with her and was sorely disappointed as most of the lessons consisted of her saying she didn't know how to teach the spin because it "came so naturally to her" that she couldn't explain it, and then watching her spin (I'm not a visual learner..), but she was in heavy clothes and she wasn't doing biellmans or anything. I did see one exhibition she did at Culver City and her spins were great. :)

21. Doubletoe

That doesn't surprise me. It's hard to teach something that came easily to you and it seems that she has always been a good spinner. I guess the converse is why I'm pretty good at teaching spins! :lol:

22. Doubletoe

I only skate at Artesia when I have a day off, since it's a little far for me. I like the rink, though. Very nice ice!

23. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I did participate in a USFS workshop with Tanith & Ben in 2006 in Michigan soon after they won their Olympic silver. The ice was broken up into sections for beginner (including me), intermediate, and advanced skaters.

We'd expect nothing less of them as they always exemplify the finest sportsmanship, but yes, they were very encouraging and positive, and offered lots of great tips. They also demonstrated their original dance from that year and gave a lot of insight into the technical requirements involved.

24. mkats

mkats New Member

Parker Pennington, and Tommy Steenberg was my coach for a few summers.

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, I once almost took out Ron Kravette on an early-morning session (fortunately he saw me coming before I realized he was there and he has good ice-dancer reflexes and stopped me without taking us both down!)

Often saw Justin Pekarek on the same sessions. (And his now-mother-in-law once helped me out of a tight spot with a dress problem--hooray for people with sewing machines and sergers! Especially nice of her as her daughter basically volunteered her help, THEN asked her!)

Otherwise, skating, no, but got to watch a lot of awesome people (probably most affecting was watching Oleg and Ludmilla Protopopov practicing one day.)

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

So true !
    Mirko Muller was one of my favorite pair skater, ever. And his spins with Peggy were to die for !

27. Helenista

Helenista New Member

I skated with Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardiner in Santa Monica in the '70's.