Have you ever skated in front of this big a crowd?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Feb 3, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,when I was watching Nationals....it made me wonder if anyone here has skated by themselves in front of that many people watching them...and what it's like? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

2. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I never have, but I have heard high level skaters say that it is not the size of the event but rather what's at stake that contributes to nerves. A regional qualifying competition that you are expected to win would be more nervewracking than a national competition where you are not expected to be a factor.

Still, I think skating on tv would make me nervous. I also think it would make me nervous if I were skating in front of a large crowd and they did not react to the highlights in my program.

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Basicly what does that mean?

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It means that if you are skating in front of a small crowd and everyone (judges, parents, coaches, club,USFSA) is looking closely at what you are doing, and you know that they will be very disappointed if you fail, it will make you more nervous than skating in front of a big crowd where your parents and your coach are just proud and happy to see you there and no one is thinking about your placement.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So basicly it means the Skating in front of 26,000 people is a whole different apospare (sorry if I spelled that wrong), then just Skating in front of Friends and Family. Or just people you know,right? Makes you wonder how Skaters don't get so shockin' up,or shake so much from being norvios...that they can't skate or fall at all? Were did you hear that btw.?

6. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

Back in the day I competed at our Nationals. The whole experience is pretty awesome. People are asking for autographs and pictures (even though I wasn't a top skater), the rink is warm because of the lights for tv, cameras are all over the place, there's usually lots of people in the stands watching. I loved that there would always be someone you have never met cheering for you because they just decided they liked your skating.

Yes the "stakes" do play a part in how nervous you feel.

I really love an audience to perform to. Heck even when I'm just skating at my regular skating I love when people stop to watch. I guess I like the attention. :)

7. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

COOL!!!! Please tell us about it? About that day at Ntionals...who you skated with,etc. Are we talking about the USFSA Nationals that's on TV?

8. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Yes.. I skated for Disney on Ice last year..... and over our tour we had about 2 million people watch the shows. :) It was awesome.

I also skated in nationals but there weren't as many as there were watching disney.

9. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

What is it like?

10. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

I skated in front of a crowd of around 12,000 people in a holiday show in my city in 2007, I believe. It was in the event center that will be used for US Nationals next year (in Omaha, NE).

I wasn't nervous because it was a show, so there were spotlights and stuff, and I couldn't see more than the first couple rows of the audience. I was only about to turn 11 years old too.

I've always loved doing shows and stuff in front of a lot people, (competitions get my nerves not b/c of the people, but b/c of the pressure to land my jumps and whatever), so that wasn't too nerve-wracking.

I dream of competing at Nationals some day, but it's unlikely. If I do, then I would probably be nervous of competing versus just nervous of the crowd. Anyways, I think it'd be fun to skate a show in front of that many people, maybe not a competition though.

11. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Have you ever done a Competition too of that many people