Have you ever seriously wished (a) certain skater(s) to fall/fail?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Fandango, Sep 16, 2013.

?

Have you ever seriously wished (a) certain skater(s) to fall/fail?

1. Of course!

99 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Only once ...

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. No! Never!

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Won't tell ...

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Other! Other?

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Fandango

Fandango New Member

Be true to yourself!!! ;)

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

At the SLC Olympics, Hughes had skated a blinder, and Kwan had fallen. When Slutskaya took the ice, I knew she must place 3rd or lower in the free for Kwan to win. So when she bobbled on the flip, I wanted her to fall on it so much that I flicked my finger at her via the TV screen in an attempt to push her down. Well it didn't work.

It was nothing against Slutskaya. I just really wanted Kwan to win.

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Always. I am :EVILLE: reincarnate. ....:D

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Ack! I was thinking of the same event. Slutskaya was last to skate, and I knew Kwan's OGM hung in the balance. Every time she entered into a jump, I yelled at my TV, 'Fall already!". But she klunked her way through every jump, the landing on that wonky 3Flip raised my hopes only to crush them.

5. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Yes, I wanted Plushy to fall in the SP in SLC. I was :eek:when he really did. :drama:

I'm a :2faced: fan, I know. :D

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Of course...I hoped Oksana Baiul wouldn't be able to skate in the LP in Lillehammer when I heard in the morning : collision at a practice session, she has injured her leg.
    Oooooooh, I'm bad...

7. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Not sure why but since the implementation of COP this fan doesn't have to wish anymore. :D

PeterG, kwanette, Vash01 and 3 others like this.
  8. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

The only time for me was at the 02 olympics .I was a mad A/P fan and I didn't I really didn't want FP/M to fall or anything :eek:
    I would never want a skater to injure themselves but after them winning the world gold A/P had to win .FP/M went down in the FD :eek:
    It worked out well them only getting the bronze :rolleyes: but I admit feeling a little guilty and felt sorry for Babs crying on the podium :(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  9. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

I have a lot.

However there are 2 performances I will always remember because I feel like my wishing to do bad worked maybe a bit too well!

Sasha Cohen 2010 US Nationals LP
    Carolina Kostner at 2010 Olympics LP

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I hoped Butyrskaya and Slutskaya would make big mistakes in their long programs since I didnt want to see Kwan not win after her amazing LP at the 2000 Worlds. That is what happened.

I admit I was also happy when Kwan fell in the short program at the 99 Worlds though as I wanted to see Maria pull a big upset and win there.

I usually wanted B&E to make mistakes (apart from the 93 Worlds where I wanted them to win) as I wanted teams like Bechke & Petrov, Shishkova & Naumov, and Kovarikova & Novotny to place above Brasseur & Eisler for medals when they competed, as I knew the judges would always favor B&E over any of those teams if they went clean.

I wanted Slutskaya to win the 2006 Olympic Gold so I was hoping for Cohen and Arakawa to fall, especialy as I had a feeling Irina wouldnt skate that well that night for some unexplainable reason, just a hunch I had. Cohen did, but Shizuka didnt.

I definitely wanted Cohen to fall at the 2010 Nationals as I am pretty sure the judges would have put her on the team (probably correctly) had she skated cleanly, and I did not think she deserved to go to the Olympics over girls who it would probably be their only chance to shine (Flatt and Nagasu in hindsight especialy) and who had competed and slaved all quad for it. Plus Sasha really had no hopes for an Olympic medal that year anyway, so in that sense it made no difference.

I absolutely wanted the 1994 Olympics podium to be some combination of Sato, Chen, and Chouinard, so I wanted to see Baiul, Kerrigan, and Bonaly all mess up at the 94 Olympics. Bonaly did, but Baiul and Kerrigan didnt, while Sato and Chouinard (and to a lesser degree Chen) messed up themselves.

I waned Ito or Harding to win the 92 Olympics so I was hoping Yamaguchi would fall. She did, but they did more.

I dont think there is anything wrong as a fan with rooting interest hoping for mistakes. I try to not hope for a disaester, just faltering enough that the people I want to see do better have a window to attain their goal. If you want someone to win or medal or achieve a certain placing, and that isnt even possible if others do well, why would you want to see those others do spectacularly. If it happens it is still great as it is a great and superbly skated even, even if your rooting interests are shut out of their or your goals for them, but that doesnt happen often anyway.

As for Slutskaya she often skated last and almost never did what I hoped she would do. At the 2002 Olympics I wanted her to either skate really well and win the gold, or fall and lead to a Kwan gold. I didnt even really care much who won this time, as long as it was anyone but Hughes. Instead she did a blah in between performance that still had mistakes, and ended up fitting right in the small window available that made Hughes an Olympic Champion.

2000 Worlds she actually did what I hoped, didnt skate great to win the gold, and didnt skate badly to allow Butyrskaya who had messed up her long program earlier to "back door" her way to the gold.

1997 Worlds she did as I hoped and turned in an incredibly gutsy performance that I thought might place her 2nd in the long to give Kwan the gold over Tara (although I was also a bit worried then about her winning the LP and bumping Kwan to bronze while still keeping Tara even with a 3rd place in gold), but the judges said no.

2006 Olympics as mentioned I was hoping she would skate well and win and she didnt.

Amazing how often she skated either last or last of the contenders with the whole event in her balance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  11. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Often. Most recently Chan. Too bad it really doesn't work any more.
    Although he falls, falls and falls, he rarely fail. And I'm still wondering why ... :EVILLE:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Oh I forgot Chan. I hate to wish this on anyone but he is not who I want to see win big events so I have to root for 7 falls from him each time, as with 6 or less he is a lock to be given gold by the judges each time. Given that his main competitors currently are slightly inconsistent too, sometimes I need to root for 9 assuming they might have 2.

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was about to say 7 may not be enough, before I read the rest of your post.:lol:

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

No. I only wish for certain skaters who shall not be named to pop jumps or fall prey to overzealous technical callers. It seems more humane that way :saint:

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I voted for 'Other' because I don't really remember. Perhaps in the 2010 Olympics when I rooted for Lambiel, but all I remember is how much I wanted him to do well, and how disappointed I was when he didn't (most of all that he didn't show his great programs in the way that he could). Mostly I just wish my favorites to do really well, but even when that doesn't happen my attitude is may the best skater on the day/days win. I am disappointed that my favorite didn't skate that well and/or didn't win/medal, but usually I can live with that.

16. umronnie

umronnie Active Member

You should wish for them to tack an extra 3T on top of the last jump... Oh, that would be evil.

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

What a weird thread.

18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

judgejudy thinks it's a great thread.

19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Other . . . when I want my favorite skater to win I hope for everybody to skate clean :2faced:

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:scream:

21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I was surprised to see the poll so strongly trending toward "wish they would fall." I've never wished a skater would fall or fail. I have wished skaters would win, but not at the expense of others.

22. os168

os168 Active Member

This polll is just sooo.... seriously?! Replace skater with a poller... then I will 'seriously' consider to vote.. maybe... sorta...if only... niet!!.

23. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I have not ever wished a skater to fall, but there are times I have been glad when they did.

24. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I don't actually wish for skaters to fall because I know that can cause injury if they fall a certain way. I'd be lying though if I didn't wish for certain skaters to pop their jumps and/or botch a spin :shuffle: after all that takes away a victory way more easily than a fall these days :lol:

kittyjake5 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm going to start a poll based on this one but need a few more options. Maybe somebody could help me out? The poll question would be something like, "Which injury would you like to occur when a competitor of your favourite skater falls so as to see your favourite skater do better?" Here's the poll options I have so far, but as a poll allows twelve options, I'm a bit short:

Twisted knee
    Broken wrist
    Torn groin
    Concussion
    Broken ankle
    Dislocated hip
    Broken tailbone
    Loss of memory - temporary
    Loss of memory - permanent
    Broken shoulder
    Broken neck

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

P.S. Yes, I did think of broken spine, but I didn't include it because I didn't want anyone to think I was callous.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

How about an out-of-body experience where you have the personality of a deceased hockey player like that one tv movie Tara Lipinski starred in.

28. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Alena Leonova 2012 worlds. I really wanted her to fall in the free because she was so close to winning. Even though she still skated clean, im so glad that Kostner pulled up to win

29. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Broken neck? That sounds life ending! You may wish to include broken toes, fingers, nose, chin and arm. I think that should cover most parts of the body.

Yes, we should have a poll .... what do you wish most to be broken of your favourite's competitor! :D

30. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Of course!!!! Glad to see so many others are being honest about it too.

My one admission:
    I admit to wishing Plushy would trip/fall on his ass, .....just as much as I wished Alissa stayed on her feet. :p