Hated Movies You Liked/Loved

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

For me it was Ridley Scott's "Legend" with Tom Cruise and Mia Sara. For the most part, the critics did not like it, my friends loathed it but I really enjoyed the film.

What are your guilty pleasures?

2. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Unfortunately, I can think of more loved movies that I hated than the other way around. ;) Like "The English Patient" and "Lost in Translation." :slinkaway

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Teen Witch!

4. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Heaven's Gate (which is, at least as the 2.5 hour version I've seen, very seriously flawed :shuffle:)
    Death to Smoochy (My younger brother and I laughed almost nonstop while watching this one for the first time a few nights ago.)

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Westworld (my mother HATES that movie, but not sure about the general public.)

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

WaterWorld was a mega flop and I absolutely love that movie. I have seen it countless times. :shuffle:

I also really enjoy the Jackass movies. I have a short attention span so small little segments keep my attention and I laugh until I cry every time.

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I could probably come up with plenty, but I generally tend to be a movie snob so I am pretty aware when a movie I love is panned by the critics :D

My number 1 guilty pleasure is probably the Tomb Raider series with Angelina Jolie in them. I also love the whole Chronicles of Riddick series. Pitch Black isn't a bad film, but the second one is horrible. I love it anyway because of its relation to Pitch Black.

The first two Mummys. My friends all tend to love these, though, I just know the critics were not very big fans.

I will note I saw all of these when I was a teenager, and the fact that I can recognize some of their issues now hasn't stopped me loving them ;)

Oh, and Spice World. I watched it so many times by VHS doesn't work anymore. I can quote it start to finish, easily. Again, my friends and I were all around 8 when it came out and it's a nostalgic pleasure for probably any of my friends whom are either female or a gay male ;)

8. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I don’t know if the following movies are “hated”, but I know maybe 5 other people besides me who had seen and liked them….

“Enemies: A Love Story”
    “Clerks”
    “House of Sand and Fog”
    “Stranger Than Paradise”
    “Window to Paris”
    “A Boy and His Dog”
    “Portrait of Diane Arbus”
    “Nostalgia”
    “Color of Pomegranates”
    “Seven Beauties”

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  9. my little pony

i love westworld w yul brynner. is there another one?

i also really like spice world and clerks.

but like veronika, i can think of way more movies that were loved that i hate. the usher had to come over and ask me to be quiet when i saw black swan. i couldnt stop laughing.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

"The Craft" with Robin Tunney and Neve Campbell. I can still recall my friend dogging me for months because I wanted to see that instead of "Clueless" :p

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

SpiceWorld. I've seen it countless times.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Daredevil and Constantine. Universally panned. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Do I know they're not the best movies ever? Sure! Do I usually enjoy artsy independent films a lot more and scoff at typical Hollywood action/comic book movies? You bet!

And yet, I could watch those two over and over again.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thomas Vinterberg's "It's All About Love."

Bizarre, over-the-top, trying-too-hard and universally panned by both the critics and the audiences but I absolutely love it. It's one of my favourite films and I dig the director's intentions and his message (at least as I understand them).

P.S. I forgot what the title was so I half-jokingly put "danish film but not dogma with a figure skater and flying people" into Google and the first result that came out was the IMDB link. :D :D :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It got some critical acclaim, but also a lot of criticism and wasn't popular with audiences, particularly for the casting - but we love Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette.

15. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

snoopysnake loves snake movies such as
    - Snakes on a Plane
    - SSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Some of them are pretty bad, though, even for a snake lover like myself. The very worst was Snakes on a Train. (Yes, Train.) There are some very bad ones on Sci-Fi channel that make Snakes on a Plane seem like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

16. znachki

znachki Active Member

Not hated, but I've got a couple of movies that were overshadowed by other somewhat similar movies that came out at the same time. I liked the ones I saw better - or at least as much

American Dreamer out at the same time as Romancing the Stone (I will not be defeated by a fictional character from a third-rate romantic thriller!)

Stir of Echos out at the same time as The Sixth Sense

17. Tinami Amori

I liked it .....:slinkaway (-minus modern twists)....

I luuuve "Nine"..... watched it 6-7 times and will keep watching.... :lol: (and 8-1/2.... ).
    I always leave "Showgirls" on when I need "something on the tv screen" in my office.....:eek:

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

"The Replacements" - Keanu Reeves as a 'scab' football player hired to QB the Washington "Sentinals" during the NFL players strike. Gene Hackman as the coach, a team of misfits with stripper 'cheerleaders'. Rhys Ifans kills every scene he's in. Love this movie. Own this movie. As a football fan, I can hate the inaccuracies, but it never fails to keep me :rofl: when I watch it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I liked Speed Racer, the one with Christina Ricci and Matthew Fox. I guess that tanked at the box office, but then I saw it on DVD and I just love it, lol. Great music, cool visuals...fun stuff.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's part of what we loved! I love period movies, but after hearing all the criticism, didn't see this when it first came out. Later, we got into Lost In Translation and Somewhere in Time, and appreciating the film craft, decided to give Marie Antoinette a shot.

Once you understand a bit about Coppola's headspace - all three films have similar themes - then it come together beautifully. The costumes and sets (including rare access inside Versailles) were accurate enough for the period diehard, but the addition of the modern soundtrack added a fabulous dimension that really underscored Coppola's central idea, that Marie Antoinette lived a life similar to a modern day rock star. The music was also a great compliment to the Kubrick/Mallick pace of the story/direction.

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Another movie I can quote from start to finish! Absolutely.

22. Tinami Amori

That /\ /\ /\ ….. but mainly to underline S. Coppola’s intent to show that Marie Antoinette was a typical teenager with typical teenage frame of mind (according to S. Coppola’s own words). Such could and have been accomplished without modern music. The dialogues, the language and behavior of M-A and her mates speak for themselves...:)

I am not a fan of using modern music for period pieces unless the intent is “surrealism” or “comedy”.

A very beautiful movie came out recently, “House of Tolerance”, yet the modern music at introduction and conclusion ruined the whole atmosphere for me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/05/house_of_tolerance_648x365.jpg

http://www.theblock-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/House-of-Tolerance-3.jpg

23. my little pony

i loved marie antoinette, i had no idea everyone else didnt love it too

yay for subcliques!

24. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

"Crash". It seems that a lot of people found it patronizing and pandering...and I won't disagree, it was greatly lacking in subtlety....I'm just in love with all things Don Cheadle ;)

(And add me to the list of folks who have utterly HATED many movies raved about by the masses, the critics, everyone, whoever...first up, "E.T.")

25. my little pony

my first up is Forest Gump. it makes me want to set theaters on fire.

and it starts off promising w sally field servicing the principal as a bribe

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I remember when the critics panned "The Jazz Singer" with Neil Diamond, but I loved it, and the soundtrack, too.

27. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I love Center Stage, it's terrible, but I still love it.

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Which one? The Craft :inavoid: or Clueless :drama: ?

There are people who don't love Center Stage?! :eek:

I thought Burlesque wasn't that bad :shuffle:

29. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Me, too. That was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

Also hated The English Patient. One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes is when everyone Elaine knows is mad at her because she hates that movie!

30. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I liked Sherlock Holmes better than Black Swan and The Social Network. I didn't get the appeal of The Social Network at all - it seemed dull to me.