Has anyone read this book: Skating on Air: The Broadcast History of an Olympic Marque

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aliceanne, May 31, 2011.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Thanks. :)

2. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

This book is for anyone whose heart used to beat faster at the words, "Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport...the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat". Some of my favorite parts were learning about the innovations the ABC, CBS, and NBC broadcast teams invented to cover figure skating, why the coverage of annual skating at Nationals and Worlds and the Olympics changed from one network to another, and how various broadcasters began their jobs. This book also really clarifies why skating coverage has waned on television. The many tidbits from Susie Wynne, Traci Wilson, Janet Lynn, Terry Gannon (just a few of a huge cast of characters) were great, as well as all the Dick Button anecdotes. This book isn't overly gossipy and certainly is about broadcasting as much as skating. It is exceptionally well written and I found it fascinating.

3. geena

geena New Member

Oh Nashville Dancer, you make me so happy :D

If you ever feel like copying/pasting what you wrote here to SOA's Amazon page, you have my blessing! (It is still looking for its first review last time I checked.)

Thanks for sharing!!

geena, AKA Kelli Lawrence (the author)

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I received my copy and read it. It's an extraordinarily well-written and fascinating tome, especially for us 'old timers' who were glued to our TV sets watching ABC WWS skating coverage since the Peggy Fleming/Kauffmans/Tim Wood era. Thank you, Ms Lawrence!

5. geena

geena New Member

Thank YOU Frau Muller!

By the way, enormous credit goes to those who agreed to be interviewed for Skating on Air... every one of them had interesting stories to share!

6. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Done! (last night) :)

7. manleywoman

I've tried several times to get Terry Gannon on my podcast. I even was given his cell phone number, and it was him o the VM. But he has never returned a call or email. So kudos to you for getting him!

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm awaiting delivery of the book; and am looking forward to reading it,

9. geena

geena New Member

Nashville Dancer: Saw it!! Thank you!!

Manleywoman: Terry was not easy to pin down for an interview, and in fact we were supposed to do a follow-up that never materialized. He was very nice and easy to talk to when it DID work out, though...

10. geena

geena New Member

Hi all--

For anyone that is attending the Indy Challenge tomorrow (Saturday)... just wanted to let you know that I will have a table there on behalf of this book, and will sign copies if you like. Please drop by and say hello!

And let me know how the pairs are doing out on the ice; I was hoping to cover the event for my State of the Skate blog but seems unlikely now :-(

Thanks!

Kelli Lawrence
    Author of "Skating on Air"

11. geena

geena New Member

12. manleywoman

13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Many thanks for the link to your review, Manleywomen (by the way, just listened to your interview with Christ Howarth - fascinating listening to what he had to say in terms of why British skating went in to decline, and the measures that have been introduced to try and revive it).

Going to buy a copy of the book and can't wait to read it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  14. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Wonder if the author got the opportunity to interview the legendary Jim Mckay before he sadly passed away in 2008

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  15. skatesindreams

Adding my praises to all those already posted.
    That Kelli was able to interview Janet Lynn; and share her thoughts was a special "plus"!

16. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Geena - I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Thanks.

17. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Sounds like a great read, will order it!

18. skatesindreams

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

19. geena

geena New Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone... again... and thanks again to Manleywoman for posting her review! Still trying to get the word out about the book, so every bit of help is appreciated dearly.

About Jim McKay-- sadly, no. I think I'd just entered the earliest phases of working on the proposal for this book when he passed-- my first interview was actually with ABC's Doug Wilson just after he'd retired in '08 (one of several interviews I did with him, a great, great man!)

BUT there is a very interesting Appendix about McKay at the back of the book... I think it's interesting, anyway :)

Manleywoman also did a podcast w/me that I imagine will come out soon (?)

Thanks again, and please keep spreading the word... new (hopefully positive) reviews at Amazon & BN.com are most welcome, and "Skating on Air"'s Facebook page is always looking for new "friends"!

Geena (Kelli Lawrence)
    Author, "Skating on Air"

20. manleywoman

Yes! Though I'm in the prices of switching hosting services . . . podcasting is very bandwidth heavy, and my current hoster couldn't handle the load anymore. So I'm switching to LibSyn, which is designed for podcasting. But it's taken me time to do the research on which service to use, and transfer these large files.

Hopefully all will be worked out asap! And I can go back to just podcasting. :)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skatesindreams

manleywoman, I wondered why we had "seen" less of you, lately!
    Good luck with the transfer.

22. geena

geena New Member

Oh, one more thing! As of this summer, Skating on Air can be found on sale at the World Figure Skating Museum at USFS headquarters in Colorado Springs. So if you happen to be out there... no shipping $$ and no wait for your own copy :)

23. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Have the book on my Kindle for an upcoming vacation, can't wait to kick back and enjoy it!