Has anyone every had a Ferrlecit Infusion??

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Octoberopals, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

I'm due for one next week due to red blood cells in the bone marrow being too low.

I'd never heard of this until 2 hrs. ago; has anyone had any experience with this?

I find is weird because I also have hemochromotosis--genetically having too much iron in the blood.

2. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Hmm, this sounds a little weird to me, too. I'm a maternity nurse and I have given those iron infusions to my patients, usually they are anemic before delivery of the baby and then with the blood loss, they need either a blood transfusion or if they aren't keen on that or their anemia isn't profound, the doctor will order the Ferrlecit instead. But since this is actually iron in intravenous form, I'm curious why you would need this (since you have hemochromotosis) as opposed to an infusion of packed red blood cells. But then again, I'm not a hemotologist so I can't really answer except from my nursing point of view.

Hope you feel better!

ETA: The infusion itself is pretty straight forward. In my experience it's a small bag (and it's dark yellow colored fluid) that is infused over an hour. We take vital signs in the same manner as if we were infusing blood since you can have a reaction similar to a transfusion reaction. But I've personally never had that happen to any patient I've given the infusion to.

3. Octoberopals

Thanks, tapdancer. I'm sort of nervous about this. I will be talking to the Dr. before I sign off on this.

4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Hemochromotosis runs in my family. Are you of Scots heritage? There's a lot of it running through folks with ancestors from Scotland. I have a Rutherford family member with it.

Best wishes! Don't worry too much! Let us know how you come out.

5. Octoberopals

Holley Calmes,

I'm Scot-Irish. My 2 sisters are carriers, 3 cousins actually have Hemochromotosis & 7 cousins are carriers.

6. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

My guess is that although you were born with hemachromatosis, your condition is relatively mild, and some unrelated event such as disease, heavy menstruation, or trauma, has reduced your iron to the point where you have anemia.

I'd love to hear a doc comment on your post...my knowledge is limited and I could be waaay off...

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Yep-Scot-Irish in my family as well who are carriers. I haven't been tested, but my brother has, and he was clear. Maybe I should get tested?

8. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

My father was 100 percent Irish descent and hemachromatosis. Back in the early 80s, they treated him by bleeding him. Sounded so medieval. He got anemic and ended up in the er and the er doctor was very mad.

9. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

It's still a current treatment. My friend's dad has a mild case of it, and to treat it, he just gives blood every month or so.

10. Octoberopals

First infusion today & so far everything is OK. I received a small amount of steroid & a dose of benedryl through the IV first to cut down on any possible side effects. I have a "date" for this for the next 4 weeks. I haven't heard from the Dr. yet in answer to my questions.

My husband thinks he needs a new car, boat, or whatever. That comment sort of bothered me a tad. But, hubby did go with me & was there the whole time so kudos to him.

11. Octoberopals

What to hear something "funny"????

The damn hemotologist decided he had read the wrong results [he used the ones from last year instead of the current ones].

I'll be looking a new hemotologist!!!

12. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

What? So you didn't really need this procedure done? That's scary! Yeah...find a new hemotologist!

13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Eek.

Though, I wonder if that could be a substitute for whole blood transfusions for anaemia related to ITP (I got whole blood plus platelets only, with the platelets because my own clotting factors were life-threateningly low and the whole blood for the anaemia that went along with it...)

14. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

No, I don't believe it can be a substitute for whole blood transfusions, because if your own clotting factors are life-threateningly low, they've got to replace them before they can treat the anaemia. They might be able to give ferrlacet infusions in addition to the whole blood transfusions; I don't know, that's someting you need to ask your doctor.

Good luck with your treatment...I've had something similar this last year, although not nearly as serious as your present condition...

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Oh, this was a while back, and htat's what the platelet-only transfusions are for. The whole blood was just to bump up volume and add iron, and at one point they were scrambling to find either my type or a type that wouldn't hurt anything because they were short on whole blood. (I had to sign a waiver to take O+ instead of B+.)