Has Anyone Ever Skated To "Pavane, Op. 50" by Gabriel Faure?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by PeterG, Jul 22, 2011.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I am infamously bad for not knowing the names of musical pieces that skaters perform to, sometimes at competitions, I'll repeatedly ask those around me, "what is this music???" (Sometimes I even buy one of the books that lists the music being skated to...) :lol:

Anyway, I'm watching a movie right now called "Mr. Nobody" and I've started setting up subtitles to play even when English is the language being spoken. (It's sometimes amazing how much background dialogue one misses that subtitles provide for us.) At the end of one scene, Pavane Op. 50 begins (the subtitles provided the title...much thanks!) and I think to myself, "I know this...I like this!" And as I'm only into classical music through figure skating, I thought, "hmm...who did I see skate to this?"

I did a search here at FSU and didn't come up with anything other than many posters wishing someone would skate to it. But surely someone has skated to this? I must know this piece through figure skating (but if not, how...background music for some car commercial??) :D

Here's a youtube link to the piece...I'm listening to it for the second time right now (well, third if you include the version used in the movie...) :)

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I do wish someone would skate to it, have for a while now. :D It's so soft and ethereal.

3. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Me as well. I love this piece.

4. Civic

Civic New Member

It's a lovely piece of music but it may be too slow for effective skating music. La Sicilienne from Faure's incidental music for "Pelleas & Melisande" might be a better choice.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I don't think it's too slow--perhaps too repetitious for anything but a short program, a la East of Eden. It is awfully SAD music, though! (it was one of my go-to pieces during years of wallowing in depression. . . )

7. Morelli

Morelli New Member

It would need a good skater to do it, but I certainly don't think it too slow because it does have an underlying rhythm. You can hear and use a main 4/4 beat and then if you listen even harder you can find lots of 'and' beats to put in various places within the main 4. Use the beats for footwork and then the tune for long slow edges, and I can see something beautiful in my minds eye. I wish I had got all my data onto one database, instead of it just being on the DVD covers I make in Word to go with each year's 'best of' that I compile. It would make it so easy to search right back to 1982 to see if it has been used.

8. Blair

Blair New Member

I've wanted someone to skate to this for years! It's really is a wonderful piece but I agree, it would need a good skater or pair to perform to it well.

Someone like Carolina Kostner or Shen/Zhao would be up to a piece like Pavane.

9. IceDanceFan1

IceDanceFan1 New Member

The ice dancers Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland (GBR) skated to the Myleene Klass version of Pavane in the 2009/2010 season.

10. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

:yikes: Somehow it's just not quite the same......

11. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

What's tragic is S Club 7 sampled it years ago, and that's how I recognized it at first. :shuffle: Damn catchy pop music.

Amazing original piece, though!

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This is gorgeous. Right now I don't see anyone interpreting this properly other than Alissa. She has the flow and the above the blade grace to do this justice.

13. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

14. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

I have listened to this song almost every day for several years and actually hoped that Delobel and Schoenfelder would skate to this in their final Olympics. I think it would have been a natural transition from The Piano and The Great Gig in the Sky.

This is the version I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZP75W/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk9

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Wikipedia says

"Lexi skates to Pavane at her first competition in the 2010 version of the film Ice Castles."