Has anyone EVER landed these combinations?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by all_empty, Jul 14, 2013.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Well ... technically not combinations, but jump sequences:

Triple loop - half loop - Triple Salchow (3Lo+1Lo+3S under COP)

or

Triple Salchow - half loop - Triple Salchow (3S+1Lo+3S under COP)

I think most skaters' patterns on these jumps are too "tight" to make these feasible.

Elena Sokolova kinda did the reverse of the first one here http://youtu.be/0Qlus-LyywM?t=2m29s

Here are few more rarely seen sequences:

Triple Lutz - half loop - Triple flip (3Lz+1Lo+3F) by Alexander Johnson http://youtu.be/Y-1AI1fXdiE?t=1m35s (great free skate)

Triple flip - half loop - Triple Salchow (3F+1Lo+3S) by Elena Radianova http://youtu.be/BnlHq18c0Fk?t=1m17s

Doubla Axel - triple Loop (2A+3Lo) by Miyabi Oba (such a Miki Ando clone) http://youtu.be/NijJ3571Is8?t=1m1s

Any others? I would love to see a triple flip - half loop - triple flip!

2. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Oh, they were combinations before the IJS. During the 6.0 system the term "sequence" was not used, much like the term "transition" was not used.

The classic example of a "combination" including a1/2 Loop is Midori Ito's 2A-1/2Lp-3S in her 1988 Olympic LP, which helped her avoid violating the Zayak Rule ... It was also Midori's attempt at fitting in by doing two 3T and two 3S, like everybody else :lol:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. duane

duane New Member

The most difficult sequence was performed by Plushenko at 2002 Olympics LP (3axel - half loop - 3flip).

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  4. alchemy void

alchemy void Running away from POTO

Didn't extreme OES Sanna Maija Wiksten of Finland do 3sal+3sal? Or was it 2axel+3sal?

And IJS does count these as 3 jump combinations now. Back in 6.0, they were considered jump sequences.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Anything that involved a series of small hops between jumps has always been called a sequence, even before IJS.

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Dmitri Dmitrenko has done the triple sal half loop triple sal - at 1994 Skate Canada and likely some other events that season.

I can't think of anyone who has done triple loop half loop triple sal.

7. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

In the early days of COP they half-loops weren't scored as single loops.

Instead they were non-scored connecting elements that had no value (the two jumps linked with a half-loop were given a 0.8 sequence multiple).

Prior to COP (circa '90s), walleys, split jumps, one-foot Axels and the like "counted" in combination, which is why skaters like Jill Trenary and Nicole Bobek would use them.

ETA: I miss those Ukranian guys -- Dmitrenko, Zagorodniuk -- really elegant skaters.

Here's the elusive triple Salchow -- half-loop -- triple Salchow! http://youtu.be/rBBIQwckUuc?t=3m6s

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  8. lala

lala Well-Known Member

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I guess you're right since I've already seen this combo in competition. Maybe Dmitrenko.

Another skater I can think of : Alban Preaubert.
    I saw him doing this 3Sal/half Loop/3Sal at practices. I don't remember if he tried it in competition.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I was about to mention this. It was an insanely difficult sequence but does not get mentioned very often. Doing the triple flip as the second jump is just incredible, even in a sequence, and to have a triple axel prior to it shows perfect technique in every jump.

11. duane

duane New Member

I agree Vash. I'm still in awe of that sequence, and mention it whenever I get the opportunity! ;)

12. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:confused: The term sequence was totally used during 6.0, and in the 80s early 90s most skaters included seuqences of many jumps often as hilights to the music towards the end of their programmes. Many skaters used them but I always think of Alexei Urmanov including sequences at the end of his programmes that include 3T and 3S.

13. kukkura

kukkura Member

Alisa Drei had the exact same jump layout as Ito 88 in 2003 Europeans. That is still the only clean 7 triple LP by a Finnish skater I know of.