Has anyone been to a movie+dinner theater?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I have seen commercials of a local movie theater that has dining at the seat while watching the movie. There are servers bringing them food. Has anyone been to a theater like that and did you enjoy the experience? I assume the tickets are very expensive.

I personally prefer to focus on one thing- the movie, without the taste of the food interfering with it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It sounds like you don't ahve any interest in going, so I'm not sure why you started the thread, but since you did...

we have two of these theaters here. One is downtown, plays first-run films and is a little more hoity toity, the other is more of an art house that shows classic movies, alternative films, and sometimes tv events (I went there to watch the LOST finale). The ticket prices don't include the food, so they were on par with regular movie tickets, with the downtown one being more $$ than the art house.

I've only been to the downtown one once, and only had drinks, which I ordered at the bar and brought in, but I've ordered food at the other place. Service can be a bit harried, as everyone is trying to order and get their food/drinks before the movie starts, but it's part of the adventure. In these places, ordering food or drink isn't required.

I really enjoy getting to have real food and a tasty adult beverage while attending a film. But if you only want to see the film and not be distracted by other people getting food, it's probably not for you.

3. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

There's a place here, called Movie Tavern, which has dinner and a movie. I've enjoyed it the couple of times I've been. I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II there back in July. It was crowded, and I didn't find the servers to be distracting at all.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to try this but they don't have this type of theater around here.

5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

We went once and enjoyed it.

6. redonthehead

redonthehead Well-Known Member

We went to one while on a trip to DC. All of us really enjoyed it.

7. Vash01

Is there anything wrong in asking for others' opinion?:rolleyes:

I never buy popcorn at movies. I don't see the need for it, particularly if the movie time allows one to have regular meal at home or elsewhere before the movie. However, if it's a real dinner, it may be an interesting experience, like dinner theater (play) which I have attended in the past. At our baseball stadium one can order food that gets delivered at the seat, but it's baseball food, not a 'dinner'. With me being a vegetarian, usually the choices are pretty limited at such places.

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The theatre near me that does this is very nice. Tickets don't cost any extra. However, I will say that the food is merely okay, and we had to send our nachos back three times because they were cold. Perhaps yours is better.

We didn't order a meal, just nachos and sodas.

9. Vash01

There is just one dinner serving movie theater in this whole metropolis, and it is very far from where I live.

10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I've been to a cinema complex that has a cinema just for this, and I loved it. I also love caf├ęs that have movie screenings (mostly on rooftops)...I didn't finding it any more distracting than any other movie, or having dinner at a restaurant. Some people are distracting at both, it's what you get from going out ;)

11. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

We had meals there and it was good for the price, but I wouldn't call it gourmet. My husband liked the burger and he is picky about burgers. They did screw up our drink orders and we had to wait a little long for them to be corrected. As someone else said, they try to serve everyone before the movie actually begins, so it has to be hectic for servers and the kitchen. The show was also sold out the night we went (7ish p.m. show on New Year's Eve)

All together, though, it made a cheaper dinner & a movie night than a restaurant and movie separately.

12. Vash01

It's good to know that many of you liked it. The next step is to find out if the theater has any vegetarian dishes on their menu. I will look up their website to see if they have posted the menu, and the costs. As I said, it is very far, so it will take a lot of planning, so it could only be done on a long weekend.

13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Not at all - but you posed the question in a way that suggested that you were predisposed to not enjoy it, so I wonder why you would bother. Glad to hear you're open to it, and I hope you have a good time :cool:

I've had decent food at the place near me - but you don't go for the food. And one time I had to wait 45 minutes for a drink :blah: so service can be...spotty. I think if you're city is on board with vegetarian options - it's easy to find something other than a salad on the menu of most restaurants - there should be no problem finding decent veg options at the movie place. Hopefully they have menus online.