Has anybody ever relasted a skate? (relasting?)

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by beesally, Jun 22, 2010.

1. beesally

beesally New Member

Hi!

I just got an almost brand new pair of Jackson freestyle's in size 6B. However, my feet are definitely a 6C or 6D. My feet are the perfect length for the jackson skates, but my feet are wider than skates. I heard that I could get skates relasted to increase the width. Is that true? If so, how much does it cost? However, I don't want to strech the heel area, that width is perfect lol.

Since I basically got the jackson's for free, I would much rather spend some money on relasting than get a new skate : )

Also, the jackson competitor's are the old model, the previous models without the flex notch in the ankle bend area. Will that made a difference?

I heard that harlick relastes skates for 25$, but that was three years ago. I called them and they are on vacation and the company is closed for the next three weeks! Where should I send my skates to get them relasted?

Thanks!

2. beesally

beesally New Member

I have been skating in jackson artiste's 6C and they are fine, a little tight width wise, but otherwise wonderful

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If your skates are Jacksons, maybe Jackson would relast them for you. Have you tried contacting them?

I'm not sure that the flex notch (or lack of a flex notch) would make a difference in whether the boots could be stretched. However AFAIK relasting/stretching will only widen the boot by about a half-size. If your skates are size 6B and your foot is 6C or 6D, relasting might not make enough difference to make the skate comfortable for you.

4. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I have also been told that stretching a boot can increase the width by 1/2 width, but when I've tried it, it hasn't even increased the width by that much.

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Contact Jackson about the relasting - I don't know of anyone who has ever had that done on any skate, so I can't say whether or not it's useful.

If you wear socks, switch to pantyhose or tights. Try changing the innersole to a thinner sport one - that might buy you a little extra space by lowering your foot down in the boot to the wider bottom section.

I have had Jackson skates stretched for width by the pro shop in the toe area. Beyond a 1/2 width stretching, it changes the shape of the boot - the bottom of the boot "bulges" out above the sole. My kids have told me that it only feels comfortable for a few weeks, but they are still growing, so it just buys me time to buy them skates.

You could also try having them heat-molded for your feet. The skates are designed to be heat-molded and a second molding wouldn't hurt the skate.

If your feet are a "D" width and the skates are a "B" width, I don't think stretching will make them any more comfortable. You might be better off selling these skates and buying a pair in the correct width. Too-narrow skates are a misery.

6. dncrgrl

dncrgrl New Member

If your feet are a "D" width and the skates are a "B" width, I don't think stretching will make them any more comfortable. You might be better off selling these skates and buying a pair in the correct width. Too-narrow skates are a misery.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have wide feet (usually a D width.) If your skates are too narrow, and the leather is stiff, you are likely to develop bunions, which can be painful. I had this problem with a Harlick custom boot, of all things! Being custom, I should not have had this problem. The leather was elk, which is stiff does not conform as well to the foot as calf skin. My next pair was Harlick custom boots in calf skin, and they were much more comfortable. Unfortunately, I already had the bunions, which are painful sometimes and not very attractive. So, be careful to make sure your boots are wide enough, so you don't cause lasting damage to your feet.

7. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Custom boots: $750.
    Your only pair of feet: Priceless.

8. dncrgrl

dncrgrl New Member

True! It is money well worth spending.

9. silverstars

silverstars New Member

I'm not quite sure if they're going to be able to widen your skates that much. I'd contact Jackson about relasting, but keep in mind that it might not be much of an improvement.

Forcing your feet into skates that don't fit perfectly is a really bad idea--it can cause some very painful foot problems, not to mention hold you back from advancing with your skating. If you're serious about skating, I highly recommend investing in a boot that actually fits. It doesn't have to be custom to have a good fit. If you can find yourself a good skate professional (ask around your rink), they should be able to get you exactly what you need--and it will be worth it, believe me.

10. janetgriselle

janetgriselle New Member

I completely agree. I bought a pair of cheap riedell skates and they just were not the right size, but I was cheap and kept right on skating with them. Eventually my feet hurt way too much to continue and I ended up being out another $200 buying another pair of skates, but those skates lasted me for years. Get a new pair of skates, it's worth the investment :)

11. Icecutter

Icecutter New Member

On relasting: I have a pair of new Harlick stock boots that I have been skating in for about 6 months. They are the Competitor Plus model and are quite stiff. I was beginning to develop bad calluses on my little toes because the boots were a tad too narrow in the toe area and the right boot was just a bit too short.
    So I sent my boots back to Harlick for relasting (still $25-May 2011). They are scheduled to arrive this coming Monday and I will post about how this changed the boots and if it works.

12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I thought Jackson was "customizing" stock boots now. That is, you can get different widths for the ball of the foot and the heel, as well different standard widths.

I agree with the posters who say you're not going to be able to stretch the B width to a D. Your best bet would be to sell the skates you have (B width should be easy) and buy a pair that are D width to start with.

13. Icecutter

Icecutter New Member

I just sent my skates back to Harlick for relasting and I skated in them today. It did help my skakes fit better. If your problem is that the skates are pinching your toes at the ends of the boots and the edges of the toe area for width, it will help. We are talking about a half size in length and probably less than a full width size difference. So, for a bit more room, yes, it works. But more than that, you need new skates that fit. I had spent a lot on my Harlick skates, so it was worth it for me to have it done to see if would work (only $25) and it did. After skating in them for 6 months, they were broken in and I knew they were not going to stretch any more by just wearing them. The relasting gave me some wiggle room and they are much more comfortable now. Before, I could move my toes a a tiny bit, but they were tight in there.
    Where I really notice it is when putting the foot down hard, like for a Mohawk. Before I would wince and be reluctant to work on it. Now I can do a Mohawk and I'm not in pain. So in cases like mine, relasting can really help.:cool:

14. sarahspins

sarahspins New Member

They've been doing this for a while.. the fee for one additional split width (or actually any single change to the boot) is $50... they already make their boots with a smaller heel than toe box, so a D width already has a C heel, if you want a B heel, then you pay the fee.

However if you want a bigger change than that, you move into the semi-custom fee which is $150, but it includes up to 4 changes to the boots.