Harvard's "An Evening with Champions" annual benefit show ~ September 29-30, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 14, 2012.

1. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Oh. :lol: Yeah, there are certainly lots of those...

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks for the reports but I'm so sorry that the Protopopovs did not show. Did Paul give a reason? I hope that they are OK, health wise.

3. SaSherka

SaSherka Well-Known Member

Let's hope there are tickets at the door! :)

4. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

Paul mentioned that Olegs doctor was the one who said he could not skate at this time. Using his iPad though, Paul recorded a video shout out from the audience. It was a very thoughtful thing to do.

5. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

centerpt1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Yes, he said that Oleg was okay but that he couldn't skate.

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

The not-so-good
    -Hopefully we can get a new sound system for the arena. Mini-interviews after a program are a good idea, but not so much when half the audience has no idea what's being said.
    -Haydenettes are a great team, but why didn't they close out the first half? Both Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus and Kimmie Meisner skated after them. They handled it very well and they all get bonus points in my book for being very professional about the situation. Chewed up ice, spotlights and either lifts or jumps are not the safest combination I could think of.
    -Paul and Emily decided to talk about her Olympic experience *after* Doug Razzano took the ice and went on for a few minutes while he skated around the boards. Erm, timing?

The good
    -The entire cast, but especially Kim/Brent. Loved seeing them live again.
    -Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus with a well-choreographed program and very smooth edges, despite the ice conditions.
    -Jeremy Abbott going for his quad in the SP
    -Castelli & Shnapir looked great and ready for the fall season. Their throw 3salchow is massive and always very well done. Marissa also skated with Act I, the Theater on Ice group. As did Jason Wong.
    -Jason Brown and Can’t Touch this. SaSherka and I went with a non-skating friend who liked his program and Ryan Bradley’s the most.
    -Ryan Bradley and his performance level. Is it even possible for him not to sell a program :p?
    -Paul and Emily co-hosting. Paul went out and did a nice flying camel and Emily commented on that so he went on to say “bah, only level 1.”
    -Audience standing up to give the Protopopovs a standing ovation and Emily getting all of it on an ipad so they can see the video.

Theatregirl –Syracuse’s women lacrosse team was on campus for a game. You missed them by a day ;)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSopV9VYYx4 -Kim/Brent
    http://youtu.be/DBCgYMCV2bA Ryan Bradley's Footloose and his interview

ETA: Does anyone know why Davis and Ladwig were no-shows? I was looking forward to seeing them in person. Also, was Layla from Harvard's FSC group number Yasmin's sister? SaSherka and I thought it might be her, but it was hard to be sure with the lights.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Yes, Layla Siraj was in the Harvard group number. :)

9. Theatregirl1122

Must have been a scrimmage, Ioana. It isn't lacrosse season. But I'll see them in the spring, so I'm not too upset. ;)

10. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The guy driving the UVM bus said it was a lacrosse tournament. Maybe it was some preseason thingie?

11. Theatregirl1122

It would be fall ball. Lacrosse teams are allowed to have a month of practices and one day of scrimmages in the fall. Their season starts in February. (Which is probably more information than anyone wanted about lacrosse. :lol:)

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  13. wouldacoulda

wouldacoulda Active Member

Thanks for posting Jason Brown's program. I'm glad to see there is a male skater on the horizon with real performance ability. We may see the return of professional skating someday!

14. DORISPULASKI

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, Doris!

16. lulu

lulu New Member

Great review, thanks :)

17. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

ZOMG, loved Jason Brown's program.

I like Jeremy's program, although this instrumental version of "Bring Him Home" is pretty snoozy. Will be interesting to see how the program develops over the season.

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. DORISPULASKI

I think it's Bennett Gottlieb.
    I couldn't understand what Paul Wylie was saying. It sounded like Benton Copley to me, which is similar. Since then, I've looked for someone with a name similar to Benton Copley who might be skating at New Englands, and Bennett looks like the closest name to what I heard.

20. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks Doris! Great review!

21. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Bennett Gottlieb skated to "Shout." He's a rising star at Skating Club of Boston.

22. DORISPULASKI

Thank you! Before you mentioned that, I was just guessing.

23. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

The Protopopovs skate almost daily in Lake Placid. I know for sure I saw them on the ice last week. I wonder if Oleg had a fall or something that caused them to pull out. However, it could also be because Oleg has not regained his skills from before his stroke to feel comfortable skating for an audience. They are the sweetest couple.

24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks for this info. It's a shame that they couldn't have at least been there...taking a bow.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

27. lulu

lulu New Member

What a treat it must be skate at the same rink with such legends. :) I hope Oleg is doing well. They've done so much for figure skating and have been such an integral part of EWC, it would have been wonderful for them just to come out on the ice, even if they didn't skate, but I admire their continuous dedication to their sport after so many years. :kickass:

28. SaSherka

SaSherka Well-Known Member

29. j-daria15

j-daria15 Member

30. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for all your lovely reporting, acompanied with pics, et al, as I'm only now getting around to watching the vids via youtube. :)

Thus far I watched Agnes because I love the song. However I found it such an odd unusual choice for her because the song makes me think of delicate, and Agnes is anything but, she's built like and skates like a power skater. Her thighs definitely remind me of Tonya Harding, all that unleashed power, still say she's capable of doing a real 3axel. :cool: