Harvard's "An Evening with Champions" annual benefit show ~ September 29-30, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 14, 2012.

1. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Are they sold out? Thinking of going, since I'll be in Boston this week-end. Just need to convince the bf!

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

3. kirkbiggestfan

My student ID expired 10 years ago unfortunately...and I went to a rival school. :lol: but my bf is a student, so thanks for the tip.

I don't see the Protopopov on the list anymore. Is he ok?

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I saw both of them at Lake Placid Labor Day Weekend for the Jr GP and both looked fab! They were in the stands watching a lot of the skating, and during some of the pairs, Oleg was in the K n C area watching.

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Sorry for all the questions, does anyone know what the camera policy is likely to be? I generally take pictures with no flash with a point and shoot camera, so nothing too fancy and no video. Just wondering if I should expect to be able to do that or not.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Sounds like you should be fine. Last year's show policy states:
    "3) Photographs - Flash photography is not permitted at the shows. Video recording is also not permitted at the shows."

I came across this in the FAQ: http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/faqs.html
    "When and where will the show be broadcast on television?

As of 2008, the show is no longer being broadcast on television, but it will be posted on IceNetwork."

Will this be a first? (EWC on-demand video being on IN)

7. Theatregirl1122

Thanks! I haven't had problem with it anywhere else but I like to know in advance so that I don't break any rules. :lol:

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

We raffled off the tickets at GS, and eyria won!

And I'm so taken with the show, I'm going myself-what a wonderful bonus that Jason Brown will be skating!

9. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

Got a little sneak peek Friday night at Harvard and just had to say what an amazing group of young people (both on and off the ice). Should be a great show!

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Delighted for you, Doris!
    I'm glad that you will have a chance to see Jason.

11. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

Intermission at Friday nights show. Pretty good sized crowd here. First half exhibitors did a wonderful job entertaining the audience. Jason's program just has to be seen :) . Looking forward to the second half and already have tickets to see the show again tomorrow!

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Glad you're having fun! Looking forward to the reports from our FSU attendees. :)

13. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I'm so jealous! (Especially since I'm sitting at dull old work right now!)

Did Jason do "Drop in the Ocean" or another number?

Glad you're enjoying it though :cool:

14. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

Jason did MC Hammers "You can't touch this ". Got the honor of seeing Jeremy's Les Mis program...... Beautiful!!!!

15. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Just got home - great show. I didn't take notes.
    So true - Jason was so fun. I saw him win the JGP last Dec, but did not stay for exhibition. It was cool to see another side of him, very fun, you could tell he was enjoying himself. Hammer Time!
    Jeremy's program to Les Miz was beautiful, unfortunately he messed up some jumps that pulled me out of the moment. When skated cleanly it will be mesmerizing.
    Other skaters:
    Kimmie M - so nice to see her. Not a difficult program, but she has grown as a skater.
    Christina Gao- lovely purple dress - lovely program
    NavBoms - so excited to see them again. It just seems like they love being out on the ice and it shows.
    Melanie and Fred - great to see them, fun program, a little slow from the last time I saw them, but pure entertainers, great pairs moves.
    Paul had an iPad and announced that the Protopovs would not be there and he recorded the cheers for them. Not sure if he said why they were not there, could not always understand what he or Emily were saying.
    Ryan Bradley - skated to Footloose - fun program, definitely one of the crowds favorites. Back flip of course.
    Castelli and Schanpir (sp?) really lovely program, they have skated in this event for a few years now and they are really maturing and improving. Nice to see.
    Lots of other skaters, but can't remember all their names right now. off to bed.
    But if anyone can go on Sun - go - such a great show and a great cause.

16. Theatregirl1122

I'll post my pictures in a bit (hopefully later tonight but since I have yet to post my Skate Canada pictures, I make no promises) but here is my (in no teknic, not very informative) review. Where I use the word "nice" too much.

Yasmin Siraj: GFB. Really, very nice. I enjoyed it a lot.
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton: I remember really liking it but thinking their double twist was really low. My mom really liked them as well.
    Jason Brown: He did "Can't Touch This" in a sequined vest. Definitely not what I was expecting. :lol: But it was great. He's my mom's new favorite.
    Emily Hughes: A cover of Paint it Black sung by a woman but I don't know who. It wasn't really a great song choice for her and I have a feeling she hadn't been planning on skating here for very long because there wasn't much choreography. But it was nice to see her anyways.
    Douglas Razzano: He did the Jersey Boys versions of Rag Doll and Walk Like A Man. Another one where I kind of felt like he was milling around and didn't have much choreography. But I do like Jersey Boys.
    Anastasia Cannuscio & Coin McManus: Turning Tables. Not that we needed another Adele program, but it was actually a great exhibition. Lots of very nice choreographic details and I thought they sold it well. He did have a big stumble, though.
    Kimmie Meissner: GFB. She was beautiful. She has become so much more expressive over the last few years. I really enjoyed watching her. She did doubles up to 2A. Emily and Paul talked to Kimmie and she said she started skating again last summer and that she was skating in Tokyo soon.

Intermission

Blake Rosenthall: Blake is apparently a junior at Harvard now. She did a cute number to Let's Get Loud which was in clear violation of the "no one may skate to anything that could have been used for the SD last season" rule, but she did a nice job.
    Christina Gao: I think she was doing her SP. She fell on a triple loop but I thought the program suited her. (Although I thought the dress was too weighed down with fabric, actually)
    Ross Miner: Frank Sinatra's version of Luck Be a Lady. He was really fun to watch. A lot of personality in this number. Also he is far more attractive when not wearing things like last year's SP costume. I volunteer to personally burn that.
    Kim and Brent: Amy Winehouse's Mercy. A lot of fun, of course. It ended with Kim getting dragged around on the ice while attached to Brent's foot. I've always loved them. But Brent has to shave. ;)
    Agnes Zawadzki: I Will Always Love You. This was a surprising choice of music for her. I actually really enjoyed it although I'm not sure a giant 80s ponytail was required (my mother says "no wonder I was thinking I liked her hair"). She's improved so much since she left Tom Z.
    Ryan Bradley: Cut Loose. Classic Ryan Bradly. Lot's of fun, totally hammed it up, did a back flip, wore really tight pants, and took his shirt off. ;) The ladies definitely enjoyed it. I was also very amused by his conversation with Paul and Emily. Right after he finished skating Paul asked him what he'd been up to and Ryan said "As of recently, trying to breathe." :lol:
    Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir: Michael Buble's Feeling Good. There are plenty of "Feeling Good" Exhibitions in the world but theirs was really great. Lots of great choreographic moments. Also I loved Marissa's dress.
    Jeremy Abbott: Bring Him Home free skate. Okay, I enjoy Jeremy's skating and programs but I'm not an uber because I can't take the emotional turmoil. I don't know about transitions and difficulty because I wasn't watching for that. But he sells this program beautifully. I loved it. If he ever skates it clean, I'll probably cry. For all Les Mis is overused, Bring Him Home is a perfect fit for Jeremy.

Overall it was an absolutely great show. If anyone in the area isn't planning to go, get tickets and go tomorrow. There were very few performances that I didn't really enjoy. The Harvard Students did a great job!

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks for the detailed review! Sounds like a great show.

18. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

19. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

20. Theatregirl1122

21. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Yay for all the videos and photos!!!! :cheer2:

I had goosebumps in the first five seconds of Jeremy's program. :swoon: Yeah, I'm going to be a blubbering mess if it he nails this program at Skate America or Nationals. :lol:

I loved Duarte/Grafton!!!! I knew their song sounded familiar, so I looked it up and it was used on So You Think You Can Dance this year. "Turning Page" by Sleeping At Last.

Marissa and Simon looked great! And Jason Brown was hilarious! :lol:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  22. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

24. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks so much for the review, sounds like you had a great time. :) I'm looking forward to seeing Kimmie skate at the Medal Winners Open. I wonder she is going to skate to the same program at the upcoming competition? As a rule, I usually prefer any type of music to the GFB, but it sounds like she did a nice job with the program.

25. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Back to back triple axels in show lights? I guess Jeremy's allowed one fall here. Loved the turning lunge. Jeremy's webmaster posts that this did not include the first 40 seconds where the quad will appear. Soo glad we get to see it at Skate America very very soon!

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

GFB? :confused: what's that?

27. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

Generic Female Ballad :rofl:

28. lulu

lulu New Member

"Generic Female Ballad"

29. kirkbiggestfan

Taking an 8yo there today. How long was the show? Thanks for the reviews

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Ah, I actually saw her practicing this on a FS session and thought the program suited her. Kept thinking she looked familiar, but couldn't figure out why or where from. And, to think I really liked Blake's Adele program from last year's show :shuffle:. Thanks for the review; looking forward to today's show!

ETA: Now sure about this EWC, but most years they are somewhere around 2-2:30 hours, with a 15 min intermission.