Harvard's "An Evening with Champions" annual benefit show ~ September 29-30, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120813&content_id=36623796&vkey=ice_news
    Official site: http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/

2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Oh, so Christina Gao is indeed attending Harvard? Good for her! :)

Did she announce any coaching changes to someone based in the Boston area?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, Christina Gao has switched to Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson at the Skating Club of Boston.

4. Marni

Marni New Member

There have been some additions to the cast since the original announcement: http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/cast.html

"Men: Ross Miner, 2012 Four Continents Bronze Medalist, 2011 & 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist

Ice Dancing: Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, 2011 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 6th Place

Pairs: Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, 2009 World Junior Bronze Medalists & 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, 2012 U.S. Junior Bronze Medalists

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Going with my mom on Saturday!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Jason Brown has been added to the cast!

7. snoopysnake

Additional additions: Emily Hughes (skating and emceeing again) and Ryan Bradley.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Looking forward to reports!

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

This is wonderful, and I totally love the cast of skaters. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews. As I was checking out "An Evening With Champions" website, I noticed there were other ways to donate to the Jimmy Fund if we can't attend.

I just finished looking at the 2012 Holiday Greeting Cards, and they're beautiful! :)

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

*starts Jason-to-Harvard rumours* :p;)

11. Theatregirl1122

:cheer: :cheer2:

And glad to see Emily has been added. I was wondering where she was initially.

If any other FSUers are going Saturday night, let me know. We can try to say hi. I'll try to provide reports and pictures although I don't love watching from behind a camera lens so we'll see how it goes.

12. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

I should be at both shows :)

13. snoopysnake

I am going on Sunday. I'm not going to the meet and greet this year though. Last year's was a $plurge.

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Just got tickets for Sunday, as well. Tickets are for section 3, but not sure we'll be sitting there in the end. Looking forward to the awesome pairs line-up and all the promising juniors.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/cast.html

Cast 2012 (last updated 9/13/12)
    Hosts:
    Paul Wylie, 1992 Olympic Silver Medalist
    Emily Hughes, 2006 Olympian

Ladies:
    Christina Gao, 2009-10 Junior Grand Prix Final Bronze Medalist, 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalist
    Emily Hughes, 2007 U.S. National Silver Medalist, 2006 Olympian
    Kimmie Meissner, 2006 World Champion, 2007 U.S. National Champion, 2006 Olympian
    Agnes Zawadzki, 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist, 2010 World Junior Silver Medalist, 2011 World Junior Bronze Medalist

Men:
    Jeremy Abbott, Three-time U.S. National Champion, 2008 Grand Prix Final Champion, 2010 Olympian
    Jason Brown, 2012 World Junior Bronze Medalist, 2011 Junior Grand Prix Final Champion, 2010 U.S. National Junior Champion
    Harrison Choate, 2012 U.S. National Junior Pewter Medalist, 2011 Gardena Spring Trophy Champion
    Ross Miner, 2012 Four Continents Bronze Medalist, 2011 & 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist
    Douglas Razzano, 2011 Finlandia Trophy Silver Medalist, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place

Ice Dancing:
    Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, 2011 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 6th Place
    Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre, 2008 & 2009 U.S. National Bronze Medalists, 2008 Four Continents Bronze Medalists

Pairs:
    Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, 2009 World Junior Bronze Medalists & 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place
    Lindsay Davis & Mark Ladwig, 2010 U.S. Junior Bronze Medalist (Davis), 3-time U.S. National Medalist, 2010 Olympian (Ladwig)
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, 2012 U.S. Junior Bronze Medalists
    Melanie Lambert & Fred Palascak, Professional Adagio Pair Team & U.S. National Medalists
    Ludmila & Oleg Protopopov, Two-time Olympic Champions, Four-time World Champions

Synchronized Skating Teams:
    The Haydenettes, 2010 & 2011 World Synchronized Skating Championships Bronze Medalists, 20-time U.S. National Champions
    Team Excel Collegiate, 2012 U.S. National Synchronized Skating Championships 5th Place

Theatre on Ice:
    Act I of Boston, 2012 U.S. National Silver Medalists, Three-time International Champions, Two-time International Silver Medalists

Please keep checking back for more updates on this year's cast!
    *Cast list subject to change without notice.

Re-posting the following from another thread:

16. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

I wonder why Shawn Sawyer pulled out of the latest lineup? :( Oh well... he seemed to perform well there last year.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  17. lulu

lulu New Member

Looking forward to reading the reports. I would love to see Kimmie, Jeremy and of course, the Protopopovs skate.

18. snoopysnake

Was he actually in this year's lineup at some point? Generally there are more skaters who don't appear in consecutive years, with the exception of the Protopopovs and skaters from the Boston area.

Back in the 80's, there were a lot more current reigning US medalists in this show, but that was before training for and competing in the Grand Prix took up so much of their fall schedule.

19. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

This is one of the long-standing great benefit shows. It is probably difficult for them to get some of the US medalists because it coincides with some of the noteworthy Senior B events. This year same time as Nebelhorn. Finlandia is also the next week so perhaps some people do not want to be traveling so close to an event.

20. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

Hi snoopysnake. On the very first post of this thread, an early icenetwork article was quoted on this year's show with Sawyer listed a performer. So I was a bit suprised since he was out of competition since mid 2011, therefore wouldn't have any events of that sort to attend, and it looked like he was well recieved last year (although who wasn't for attending a charity event of this kind) unless I am mistaken. I do understand though that the lineup can change at any moment for any reason. And this years lineup looks good. :)

21. snoopysnake

I remember one show where about six of the acts in the program book did not appear. (One of those was Rory Flack.) They hastily prepared an insert page on some of the substitutes. One was Rudy Galindo. This was between the breakup of Yamaguchi/Galindo in pairs and Rudy's win at Nationals. I was really impressed with his y-spin!

Last year was a very different crowd, as there were so many Yu-Na Kim fans who had come from long distances to see her! The shows sold out quickly and they delayed the entrance into the small venue, resulting in long lines outside the arena. Early arrivals could not come in to watch the rehearsals (which for me has always been a favorite feature of these shows.)

Shawn was indeed well-received last year and I'm sure will be again if he comes back to EWC in the future.

22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It didn't help that it was fairly cold outside while we had to line up, great depression-style before we could get inside the arena. This was the first time I saw this sell-out-type turnout since I've been going to EWC, so the organizers must have been very happy. Both with the increased profile of the show and what I assume were increased ticket sales and revenue.

23. Theatregirl1122

Can anyone who has been to the show give some idea of how cold it usually is?

24. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

A sweatshirt or sweater has always been good enough for me, and I tend to always feel cold. I've never had to wear my coat or gloves inside, if that helps at all.

Although if you are walking to the arena from Harvard Square, it can get windy walking over the bridge and I've regretted in those moments not bringing a coat.

25. snoopysnake

In my opinion the arena is fairly warm. The hockey glass will be up so that would keep the cold from the ice on the ice. I usually don't wear my coat or jacket inside, if I've worn one outside. Sometimes this show's been held in Indian Summer weather, sometimes it's been very chilly out. That's autumn in New England! This year's show is earlier in the year than it usually is.

26. Theatregirl1122

Oh, the Hockey glass is going to be up? I'd have chosen different seats if I realized that, probably.

27. snoopysnake

I don't recall it not being up at any of these shows, and I attend nearly every year. I suppose taking it down and putting it back afterwards would be expensive and thus reducing the charity's revenue, and/or disruptive to the rink's use for hockey.

28. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

^^^ You're correct on both counts.

29. Theatregirl1122

I've never been before. I just didn't think of it.

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

FWIW, I never found the hockey glass at Bright distracting. Depending on how many tickets they sell, you might be able to move away from the ice seats if it bothers you. I only saw the rink packed to the brim when YuNa was here last year. In the past, you were able to find a couple of empty seats and move there.

And, Bright is fairly warm for a rink. I skate there now for their FS sessions and even at 7 am when it's completely empty, I end up skating in a t-shirt by the end of the session. Think a light jacket or hoodie should be enough for the show, but it all depends on how easily you get cold, as well.