Harding & Kerrigan: 20 Years Later

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kedrin, Dec 20, 2013.

1. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This always makes me so sad. Tonya Harding was an absolutely extraordinary skater. I wish she could have had a better start in life. :(

3. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

I agree. I've come to appreciate the athleticism of skating in general more over the years. I don't condone what she did, but from everything I've heard, it's not as if she was a 'bad seed'.

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

20 years? I feel old.

5. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Good article, except for this bit:
    "Kerrigan landed one jump on two feet instead of one, Baiul added a difficult jump near the end of her routine, and those two seemingly minor details appeared to be the difference when Baiul won the gold. Twenty years later, debate remains over who skated better."
    :lol:

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I never saw the story about the dumpster either. I always assumed she planned it, but I didn't know they had evidence.

Wow, to think they discussed killing Nancy or slicing her achilles. Chilling. And Stant knew he didn't manage to break her leg because he knew the sound was not bone breaking. Ugh.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

IMO, Tonya bore culpability,
    The dumpster evidence only confirms it.

I believe she got off lightly, by not spending time in jail.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I was shocked by this too. Thank goodness they hired a hit man with a conscious :)confused:).

11. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

This :slinkaway

12. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction you did about this one. :lol: Talk about getting it backwards...

13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No Kerrigan doubled an important jump and baiul did her only combo and the end! Lol.

14. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

This is good news because I've always felt this story really did not get much attention in the media.

15. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Me too. I love how it was only discovered becuase some lady opens the trash people leave in her dumpster, and then delivers it back to them. :rofl:

If you have incriminating evidence that can be destroyed, destroy it! Don't throw it in the trash. Idiots.

I do like the image of Kerrigan reading the coverage of the attack and laughing at the ineptitude of Tonya's crew. Because, really.

From what it sounds like, Ekhardt was the biggest nutjob. He was the one who suggested actually slicing her achilles, then killing her, had crazy fantasies of being an international bounty hunter, etc. Apparently his father was bragging about the attack too, so I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

It's always amazed me that Tonya skated so well at Nationals if she really did know everything about the attack. According an interview Elaine Zayak did, skaters were openly saying that Tonya was involved in the attack during 94 Nationals, and reporters and the general public soon followed with the same suspicions. Tonya had to know people suspected, but it didn't seem to phase her at that event. It was her best event since...91 worlds? At the Olympics, despite being in far better shape than she was at Nationals, it seemed to get to her mentally and she just couldn't do it in either the practices or the event.

When she skated at Nationals, did she really believe that she was going get away with it, and that confidence boosted her skate? If so, that's... pretty nutty. :shuffle:

You know, as it happens.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  16. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I never forgot the dumpster tidbit for one second. Even the FBI thought she was guilty. It blows my mind that anyone still thinks that Harding had no part in the Kerrigan attack.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  17. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

And yet… people do think that. Or at least are willing to say so on the internet. I guess we don't know if they really believe that or are just trolling.

I remember the dumpster bit. And Kerrigan's family laughing about the ineptitude of the attackers.

I do think that Harding believed in the whole plot and that it would work and that's why she skated so well at Nationals. Other skaters were freaked out because they thought maybe someone was randomly attacking figure skaters and anyone could be next, but she knew that wasn't true.

At the Olympics, the whole plot was falling apart and I think she realized she wasn't going to get away with it and I think that's why she was stressed out there.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

What did you think when you first heard about the Kerrigan attack?

My first thought was of the Monica Seles stabbing incident the year before, which was by a deranged uber-fan of Steffi Graf. So I figured it was a deranged Tonya Harding fan trying to take out Kerrigan. A day or two later, when Tonya and Nicole were interviewed after the short program (they were #1 and #2 at that point), the interviewer asked Tonya if she was bothered by Nancy's attack. She said yes, but that she hoped Nancy would be all right "for next season." I found that to be a strange comment. It didn't make me think right away that Tonya was involved, but I thought it was really cold and insensitive.

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i was at my friend's house. my mom called when she saw it on the news. she said, "i hope they go arrest tonya, you just know she's behind it."

20. steve skater

steve skater Member

21. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Me too!!! I had a WTF? reaction at Tonya's answer. Then when she made that tasteless comment days later about kicking Nancy's butt, I was officially done with her.

22. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I think she should have been jailed.

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

24. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I remember hearing about the dumpster evidence at the time. And yeah, it makes me feel old when I realize it's been almost twenty years. I was actually on the Internet at the very moment the story of the attack broke; I had one of my local Detroit news stations on in the next room. Of course, the Internet back then was primitive compared to what it is today. You couldn't click your way to a dozen or more news articles on the attack, let alone video footage. So I just told everyone on the old Prodigy skating board what they were saying on TV.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

OMG, I remember going to my friends house and using Prodigy internet for the first time in the early 90s. Crazy. :lol:

26. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I discovered following skating on the internet because of this attack. I had a Compuserve account so I went on their Other Sports forum to see if there were skating fans there who were members of any of the skating clubs involved and so might know something. And that's how I found a bunch of people following skating and learned about websites where I could lookup when skating would be on tv and where Nationals and Worlds would be held in future years and get the results of International events. It was awesome. I don't think I'd be on FSU or have done half the things I've done with skating if it hadn't been for that event because without the internet, I think my skating fandom never would have taken off.

Messalina and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

That makes two of us!!!! I have always been a Nancy fan and nearly wrecked my car when I heard about the attack on the news driving home from work. I was honestly suspicious of Tonya from the start.

The dumpster story is yet another chapter for the "gang that couldn't shoot straight" who attacked Nancy. It sounds silly that the restaurant owner would open and return trash bags, but when you are paying for the dumpster and people are using you to dump their trash without paying fees, I understand why she would do this. And through her actions, convictions (and history) were made.

MacMadame, I also discovered other skating fans via Compuserve, your story brought back memories.

And finally, a bit of trivia, I own the only (semi-real) Nancy Kerrigan doll. Mattel dropped making the doll after Nancy's unfortunate verbal faux pas's. A friend bought a Disney princess Esmeralda doll (Mattel made the Disney dolls at the time) and made a beaded skating dress for it and gave it to me for Christmas. Although the hair is black, you just have to look at the face and the toothy, open-mouthed smile to realize what they did with the Nancy doll face mold...

28. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

I always assumed she had a big part- but I hadn't realized how much evidence they had for that. In light of that, it's a shame she was allowed to skate at the Olympics. Kwan was robbed!

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It was probably Kerrigan's greatest luck that Slant grabbed his girlfriend's credit card instead of his own and, because he couldn't rent a car in Boston in time, he didn't have a chance to attack Kerrigan at her practice rink, with no cameras, and most likely with fewer people around. He might have destroyed her leg for skating, given a better opportunity.

30. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Agreed, I never knew any of that! Or the dumpster bit.

I had rooted for Tonya prior to that but just had a feeling early on after the attack that she was involved somehow.

Gosh I feel old- was a freshman in high school at the time.