Harding comes clean about attack against Kerrigan

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by neptune, Apr 1, 2013.

1. neptune

neptune New Member

In a new interview with PEOPLE magazine, Tonya Harding reveals that she knew all along about the plot to attack Nancy Kerrigan.

Excerpts:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    P: "So, you're saying that you knew all along that your husband and his buddies were planning to attack Nancy Kerrigan?"

TH: "Yes, they told me from the very beginning."

P: "And what did you say?"

TH: "That I didn't think any of them could pull it off."

P: "So why didn't you tell others about it and do what you could to try to stop it?"

TH: "Well, I didn't actually think there was anything to stop. They were a bunch of knuckleheads who would have had trouble figuring out how to swat a fly, much less carry out an attack against someone."

P: "What about when you heard the attack had succeeded?"

TH: "Honestly, I was in shock. I was very afraid. I thought, 'Who could have done this, and are they coming after me too? Because it obviously couldn't have been the Three Stooges.'"

[...]

P: "So why are you finally opening up about this now?"

TH: "Because I think Nancy deserves to know."

P: "But why not years ago?"

TH: "Because I didn't feel Nancy was ready then, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings."

P: "So, you're basically saying that you did all this for Nancy's sake?"

TH: "Of course. I mean, why else?"

[...]

P: "So after nearly 20 years since the attack on Nancy Kerrigan, can you finally forgive yourself?"

TH: "It's been very hard. But I've been seeing a counselor who has helped me see the truth about a lot of things. First off, I realize that what I did was unforgivable. And I'd like to apologize to the entire skating community for that. I never ever meant to leave a black mark on the sport. I mean, those skating dresses I wore--they were just horrific!!! No wonder the USFSA banned me for life. When you wear outfits like what I wore, you don't DESERVE to ever get to skate again!! At the time, I thought the USFSA was just being really hard on me, but now I realize I got exactly what I deserved. The reason I didn't show up at the hearing was because I felt so ashamed. How could I defend myself? I couldn't say, 'I never wore those outfits,' because they could show videos of me skating in them!! I realize now that the attack on Nancy was just so unnecessary. I didn't understand this back then, but the only reason she was beating me in competitions was that I was dressed like a ragamuffin. I mean, if I had worn Nancy's outfits, I probably would have been both world and Olympic champion. Anyway, my counselor told me that I wasn't to blame for all that. She said that I was simply ignorant and a victim of bad fashion sense due to my upbringing, and that after all nobody's perfect. That helped me so much. I can finally sleep at night now, without having nightmares. So, yes, after almost 20 years, I'm finally able to forgive myself and move on. And I just hope others can learn something from my fashion mistakes."

For the rest of this revealing new interview, don't miss next week's PEOPLE!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

at least this April Fool's thread is already in the Trash so I don't have to move it.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

:lol:

genevieve's reply is probably going to be the best April Fool's related post I'm going to read all day.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think it's so funny how the joke post becomes all about her dresses lol

5. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Tonya confessed as a birthday present to snoopysnake.

6. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

is it sad I believed this until the part about the dresses?

7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Finally a good April Fool's day joke!

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

April Fools...jeez, I'm seeing right through all of these.

9. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I love how "Tonya" gets more cray-cray as the interview goes on :lol:, great job!

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Not fooled, but entertaining nonetheless.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

True. :lol:

Seriously, I never saw all the fuss about Tonya's dresses. The only one I really disliked was the one she wore for the LP at US Nats in '94. Some of the others were just kind of okay, I've seen a lot worse. And I really liked her '94 Olys LP dress, her '93 and '94 SP dress and especially the pink dress she wore for '93 Skate America SP. And I remember a black dress (not '92 Olys) that I liked a lot.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I really had more of an issue with her hair during the early 90s. I know that was probably the look, but it looked so damaged.

13. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

This was believable even if it was meant as a joke. I could see her doing this in a few years time.

14. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, I bought this one hook, line, and sinker until the dresses part!!:D Well done!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think Tarasova has a trademark on the phrase "black mark".

16. neptune

neptune New Member

Well, Tonya had Post-Traumatic Dress Syndrome. :lol:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Glad that many of you got a good laugh out of this. :)

I honestly didn't think most of her outfits were that bad--they just weren't chic like the outfits of Nancy, Kristi, etc.

17. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

The part about the dresses was funny - the fashion police should have charged someone with a crime.

I can't. In Tonya-World nothing was ever her fault & she was always a victim. There is no evidence that that has changed.