Happy St Patrick's Day 2014!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Mar 17, 2014.

1. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I was driving by my local train station this morning, and normally, there are very few people waiting for the train into Manhattan at that hour. But this time, the place was packed, so I'm thinking, "Oh, no, what's wrong with the trains?" Until I glanced over and saw that everyone was wearing green. They were going to the parade. :lol: I also saw many buses, and some stretch limos, at the rest stop on the highway, obviously transporting people in for the parade.

3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Happy St. Paddy's Day to everyone! I'd like to think that we're all a little Irish today!

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Lots of green themed treats at work today including cookies and cupcakes. Happy St Patrick's day to everyone celebrating.

5. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I'm wearing my claddagh necklace charm today that I bought on a family trip to Ireland; I think I got it in Waterford but it might have been Galway. When I wear it does make me feel more Irish!

6. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I'm 1/8 Irish so I'm wearing green today! (I'm green all the time anyway.... :))

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

We knew St. Patrick's Day had already started in Seattle when TS McHugh's was serving beer in plastic cups at 5pm last Saturday night, and we were serenaded by Seattle Police Pipes & Drums.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I think I can beat your percentage!
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of you.

9. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Happy St Patrick's Day! There were multiple city and suburban parades this weekend and last weekend, too. I'm nostalgic for those and the caravanning of Irish dancers to all the shows at nursing homes, churches, schools, park districts, restaurants, pubs, museums, clubs, etc, etc.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

A friend told me yesterday that because the "traditional" St. Patrick's Day parade in NYC will still not allow a gay group to participate, Queens threw its own inclusive parade. Since Queens was traditionally the most conservative of boroughs, aside from the isolated Staten Island, where everyone is breathing fumes from Jersey chemical plants, it must mean gentrification is steaming forward.

11. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

Night is still young :rockstar: so I hope you enjoyed and enjoy a Happy St Patrick's Day! :40beers:

12. orientalplane

Nice, sweetsparky! :)

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  13. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

14. orientalplane

Isn't there a Welsh quarter in NYC? :p ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Happy St. Patrick's Day! :cheer2:

16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

We're New Orleans, so of course, we have to have ten zillion parades (one Friday, two Saturday, one yesterday, one today, and one next Sunday) but umm...we don't have that many Irish anymore :shuffle: so we actually import from New York, Boston, and Chicago (mostly New York cops). The bratling's home for an interview, and his plane had a lot of them on his plane--they came in full regalia.

I love the Boston cops (they wear insignia to show where they're from) who have turned puritanical and look slightly aghast and disapproving at the whole ordeal. The New York and Chicago cops are really into it, taking green jello shots and green beer from the crowd and giving flowers for kisses to the girls.

17. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

18. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

19. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard