Happy St. Patrick's Day 2012

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Mar 17, 2012.

1. allezfred

allezfred Upsetting Canadians Since 2004 Staff Member

Happy Paddy's Day to everybody celebrating! :cheer:

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Happy St. Patrick's Day to those who celebrate! :cheer2:

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks, and happy St Patrick's Day to you as well. It's a lovely day here in NY for the parade - sunny and clear!

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil!

5. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Happy St. Patrick's Day :40beers:

Can't wait to hit the Irish Pub tonight and have lots of green beers and Kilkennys.

Today, we're all Irish :)

6. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

And for once, I'm not doing the cooking! :40beers:

Well, 'cept for a few soda breads. ;)

7. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

For me, it's a day of remembering my "Granny" & my Irish ancestors.

8. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Already hit the "Shamrock the Block" outdoor party downtown - heard a band, ate some food, got some sun, saw plenty of :grope: guys, got some beads - and it's only a little after 2 PM here. :D

Sadly, no one has taken me up on my "Kiss Me I'm Irish" button yet. :( But the day is still young and plenty of time tonight.

Heading to a different party zone now for more :grope: guys and then watching VCU vs. Indiana tonight in NCAA roundball.

Next weekend is even more fun with the "true" Richmond Irish Festival on Church Hill. The guys there are even :grope: -er LOL.

9. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Happy St. Patrick's Day!:)

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    I've had two beers, but mostly just with my roommates at home. I'll be hitting up a big party later.

I made these but instead of red they are green.

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wearing green but doin' nothing other than remembering I was due this day and arrived early, much to my mother's surprise.

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I'm Black Irish on my mom's side of the family, have green eyes, and I'm wearing GREEN today! :D:D:D:D

13. allezfred

allezfred Upsetting Canadians Since 2004 Staff Member

14. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

15. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Wheeee! Fodor's ranked New Orleans the second-best St. Patrick's Day celebration in the United States, right behind New York. And since New York is having a SOBER :eek: :yikes: St. Paddy's Day this year, our (one-day-a-year)Irish eyes are smiling on that #1 spot :EVILLE: Boston and Chicago can kiss our blarney stone, cause we shimmy our shamrocks with the best of 'em. Where else but NO will you have giant cabbages lobbed at your head (yes, the floats throw giant cabbages at the crowd...sometimes in the windows of businesses.), Lucky Charms, Irish spring soap, phallic carrots, onions, potatoes, Ramen noodles, pineapples (catching a giant pineapple takes skill y'all), apples, oranges, green thongs and garters, and mini cans of Guiness, Miller Light, and Kilkenny?

And the crowd of 200+ men in various states of :grope: -ness wearing kilts ( :rofl:) and every other stereotypical Irish thingy imaginable, handing out roses and Irish flags in exchange for kisses (or beer). The St. Patrick's Day Uptown parade is IMO, the second-best parade in the city, beating out Rex, Zulu, Endymion, Orpheus, and Bacchus. It's a local crowd, which means the parade is both more raucus and safer at the same time. (Well, local, except for the 100+ people of Irish descent we import from New York and Boston, and the 70 or so Dublin police officers we invite to participate every year, which the parade sponsors pay for). You haven't lived till you've heard Stand Up and Get Crunk...on bagpipes. :shuffle:

And now that the fun stuff is out of the way, a BIG THANK you to the original New Orleans Irish for many things, including:
    --Building the canals all over the city of New Orleans
    --Building railroads in New Orleans, along with the Italians (in fact, there's a huge parade, the Irish-Italian parde in Metairie, where those accomplishments are celebrated together. The Irish-Italian population were great frenemies in NO, sharing neighborhoods, bars, and even churches. There were several churches that were Irish one day, and Italian the next.)
    --Excavating the land now know as the Bywater
    --Building up businesses in the poorer areas of New Orleans into what are thriving areas today
    --Standing against slavery. This is somehow lost in the history of slavery in the United States, but the Irish, both emigrants and in Ireland, were some of the first--and most vociferous--voices in the abolitionist movement. There is fantastic poetry and songs written from the time period decrying the treatment of slaves and demanding the call of arms of ALL immigrant populations to rise up on behalf of ending slavery.

So thank you to the Irish, the first immigrant population to really rise up and "make it" in the United States and providing a model for subsequent waves of immigrants to do the same, for making this country great!