Happy Birthday Maria Butyrskaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DickButtonFan, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Happy Birthday Maria!!!!!!!!

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Maria!

:cheer2:

3. yossalu

yossalu Member

Happy Birthday Masha! Still one of my all-time favourites.

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday to DickButtonFan, as well!

:cheer:

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Happy 38th!

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

38 ... and she is gorgeous. There's hope for any of us !
    Happy b-day Masha !

7. shady82

shady82 New Member

Happy Birthday Maria!
    I miss the subtle drama and maturity she brought to the ice.

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

С Днем Рождения, Маша! Вы и Ваша семья так прекрасны! :)

9. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

happy bday to this beautiful bombshell! the only Russian lady skater I truly loved to watch...how i miss her dearly :(

10. piano18

piano18 New Member

I had a dream about her yesterday!! :lol::eek::eek::p

Happy 30s to this Russian zaznoba.

11. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Happy 50th Maria! You look great!

12. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Is she really 38?? :eek: time flies

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Happy birthday! I had to double take when I saw she was 38.

Is she still with her boy toy hockey playing hubby? I love that Maria is a cougar. :lol:

14. alchemy void

alchemy void Running away from POTO

Happy belated birthday to my favorite skater ever! I first watched her while randomly watching 97 Worlds and was intrigued by the pissed off redheaded Russian with the cracked out green costume. It was love at first sight. :swoon:

And I don't care what anyone says, this is the best ladies short program since Baiul's 1994 SP.

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I was surprised she didnt get any 6.0s when she skated last. She was clearly the winner of the SP so it is not like they had to hold back her marks.

16. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Masha was always judged unfairly. From the '98 Olympic bronze she lost to Chen Lu, to the '01 World bronze she lost to Sarah Hughes, and to being placed below Hughes in the SLC Olympic SP. She certainly wasn't a judges' pet. The only time I thought she got help from the judges was at the 1998 Worlds SP.

17. judgejudy27

I agree. She should have gotten all those placings you refer to. She was also undermarked in the 95-96 and 96-97 seasons before she became somewhat of a "name".

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ladies skating has never been the same since she quit. :(

She was the real "lady," so feminine and elegant. Such amazing personality on the ice. A real diva. :glamor:

There isn't really anyone quite like her. :(

19. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

So at the age of 28, I find myself a groupie, stalking the "Champions on Ice" skaters at Madison Square Garden.

When I asked Maria for her autograph, right after she won Worlds, she looked shocked that anyone in the States knew who she was.

Me: "I'm so happy you won!"
    Maria: "I am too!"

Then later she mentions somewhere (FS International? Blades?) about getting asked for an autograph in NYC and how surprised she was to be famous.

LOVE her! Happy Birthday, girl! :cheer2:

20. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

This SP was one of the BEST! Love watching this even today.. AHH!!! Happy BDAY Maria!!!!

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow, that short program. Thank you for reminding me of this.

I remember being totally blown away by it, I wasn't expecting it at all.

22. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I remember watching her when I was a kid. I really looked up to her because she was skating still at 26+, I thought that was so amazing because my coaches would tell me I'd never do triple jumps because I started so late ( I prooved them wrong btw ha ). Maria was my proof you could still skate when you're older. I just love her for never giving up. And of course she was so gorgeous I wanted to look like her. Does anyone know if she still skates or coaches. It'd be such a shame if she didn't.

I actually got to see her skate live and took a bunch of pics. Unfortunately I was in the nose bleed seats so the photos didn't turn out so good lol.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She coaches Emma Hagieva who is a Russian skater representing Azerbeijan and has been with her at 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy.

She looked really rough, with massive roots, and we could not believe it was actually her, until we made a picture and took a close up.

Oh Maria!

I would imagine she must have a lot of younger students who aren't competetive internationally yet.

24. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Good to know she is coaching. Yeah she looks like maybe she was trying to grow her hair out there. Maybe she didn't want to damage her hair from the dye? I noticed back when she was 20 something she was starting to lose her hair it's too bad but it's just part of the aging process plus she had a baby.

25. pengdequan

pengdequan New Member

Sorry for the late one.Happy birthday,Maria!One of my favourite skaters 4ever!

26. judgejudy27

Looking back at Maria's career there are 2 things I wonder:

1. If she had won the Olympic bronze in 1998 would she have been content turning pro after 1999 or 2000 and have had a much better pro career than she ended up having?

2. If she had skated better in the LP and defended her World title in 2000, making her a back to back World Champion, would she have been more of a force and threat heading into the 2002 Olympics than she ended up being?

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

3. If judges hadn't been marking her unfairly all the way through her career, wouldn't she have been much more of a threat than she was?

(Rhetorical question :p)

Honestly, placing her SP below Kwan (huge cheat on 3flip and slight flutz) and Hughes (don't even get me started on that joke of a skater) at 2002 Olympics was just beyond :rolleyes:.

28. 3T3T

3T3T Member

29. judgejudy27

Unfortunately her 2002 Olympics SP was not one of her best. I did think she was undermarked all the same but it also wasnt a great performance.

30. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

On top of the bland music, Butyrskaya chose to do her two worst elements to close to program, and with no speed at all: a circular spiral sequence that really didn't do any favors for her lack of flexibility (something she was able to mask in other programs with different patterns), and the layback spin. I was obviously a huge Maria fan, but this short program was 1000 times worse than her three prior programs (Fever, St. James Infirmary, and Scene d'Amour).

In any event, she should have beaten Hughes. Then again, Sebestyen, Suguri, Robinson, Meier, and Gusmeroli all might have also deserved to beat Sarah.