Happy Anniversary General Hospital!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Apr 6, 2013.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

No one is talking about General Hospital turning 50? I remember watching GH while a senior in high school and then scheduling all my college classes so I could watch GH in my dorm room It was the height of the show's popularity (Luke, Laura, Robert, Tiffany, Holly). Stopped watching when I went to work full time but am now catching up again thanks to SoapNet - nice to see a lot of the old timers coming back for the 50th anniversary - especially Rachel Ames who was the only original cast member able to make an appearance, she still looks wonderful after 50 years. Rumor has it John Stamos will be returning as well, he got his start on GH back in the 1980's as a troubled teen. Jack Wagner and Rick Springfield are on this week, Jack sang yesterday and Rick sings on Monday.

2. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

I didn't even know it was on anymore! I thought it got cancelled along with One Life to Live and All my Children? I watched those plus Young and Restless for years, back when my work schedule allowed. That was back in the Luke and Laura days. I loved soaps, they were the only shows I really followed back then.

3. Megansmom

Megansmom Member

If you have SoapNet, they started a 50 hours of General Hospital marathon last night at 10pm and it continues until midnight tomorrow. The marathon started with the series premiere and then went on to Luke & Laura's wedding. It looks like most of the episodes being shown are from the early 80's to the present.

I primarily watched General Hospital in the 80's and early 90's and a number of the actors from that time have been brought back to the show in the last few weeks for the 50th anniversary. It's been kind of fun to see all of them again.

4. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

Well, I have neither Soapnet, nor 50 hours to watch!:D

5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I'm watching on and off as I do my cleaning. Soapnet doesn't seem to be showing the episodes in order though

6. mkats

mkats New Member

There are four of us in our hospital rotation group, and two of them are named Luke and Lora (but pronounced Laura). One day the attending was in a rush and assigned them both to the same patient; when they came in and introduced themselves, the patient and his family got so excited and couldn't believe that Luke and Lora (being relatively young) had no idea what they were talking about :drama:

7. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Watching back some of the old episodes makes it obvious how much work many of the women have had done :eek: Jaclyn Zeman in particular.

Johnathon Jackson was adorable, though. And so talented.

8. 4skating

4skating Member

Thanks so much for the heads' up about the SoapNet marathon. I actually watched GH in real time yesterday for the first time in quite a while, and I'm slightly embarassed to say how much I enjoyed it.

I was a GH freak during the late 70's, 80's and early 90's. Bob Guza and Brian Frons ruined it for me, but watching these classic episodes brings back many good memories of my show. I tuned into tonight to see the Monica and Alan try to come to grips with her cancer and mastectomy, as well as Robin telling Felicia about having sex with Stone the first time. Now I'm watching a fave, the episode where the mob ambushes Sonny, Luke and their loved ones, at Sonny's apartment (catching Brenda in the shower), Robin and Stone in the street (where Stone's HIV status becomes a critical point in the storyline), and at the Spencer's house, where Laura clutches Baby Lulu and defends her family at great cost.

Oh those were the days! Thank you, Claire Labine, for the emotional rollercoaster that you wrote for us and the wonderful performances of actors who bought into the storylines and delivered day after day!

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm confused, because I thought almost all of the soaps had been/or were being cancelled.

10. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I believe there are just four daytime soaps left: GH, Days of Our Lives, Young and Restless, and Bold and the Beautiful. Back in the 80s, there were 13.

11. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

At 9:00 pm EST 20/20 Special Edition will have a GH special celebrating its 50 years.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

4skating, you aren't alone in your appreciation!

kittyjake5 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I watched the 20/20 special last night, and enjoyed seeing all the old clips. For any show to stay on 50 years is quite impressive.