Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by floskate, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floskate

floskate Vacant

In honour of Her Maj's diamond jubilee next year although no doubt we'll be onto thread three by then ;)

Carry on. :)

2. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

CHEERS! Love the new title! :biggrinbo

Um, I've already scheduled one of my vacation weeks next year around the Jubilee. :shuffle:

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As do I!
    We won't lack for subjects to discuss, I'm sure.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The title is perfect!

Good for you. I am already planning the first year anniversary celebration menu on Apr 29. :rollin:

5. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

We were planning on going to the UK in late April. Now we can't. :drama: I am so sad!

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I was in England during the Queen's Golden Jubilee. If anyone is contemplating a trip for her Diamond, it is possible that there will be good deals for tourists. We got several discounts associated with occasion including on our BritRail passes, free metro cards for London, and a cheaper than usual price on the British Heritage pass which admits you to a number of sites for free or reduced price. Check around the web for specials if you are going or check with a travel agent.

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

And another thing to keep in mind...

If you're a member in good standing of Girl Guides/Girl Scouts, you are able to stay at Olive House, The British World Centre. Of course you'd have to do some checking, but last I understood, so long as you are a member of WAGGGS*** in good standing, you can stay at any of the World Centres.

Something to keep in mind. :)

Great new title Flo. Now I just have to remember we've got a new thread title. :D

From Monday night in NYC...

zimbo ~ Princess Madeleine and Prince Daniel of Sweden attend Gala Dinner in NYC for Swedish American Chamber of Commerce Conference Meeting

Much better dress choice this time around for Madeleine.

***World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts

edited to add...Fergus, I got a taste of what you must have felt like last weekend when all those Royals were in NYC. I watch CTV Toronto news because our local news just out and out sucks and at least I get real news from Toronto. Anyway...Guess where Albert and Charlene were last night and I'm guessing today as well?

They officially opened the Canadian stop of the Princess Grace Exhibit at the TIFF Lightbox last night.

CBC ~ Grace Kelly exhibit explores icon's life

Never knew they were coming. Grrrrr!!!!!

I also kept meaning to post this last week, but forgot. HRH Princess Elisabeth of Belgium celebrated her 10th Birthday last week. She will be Belgium's first Queen Regent, but for now is a very cute young lady. The Palace released these photos to mark her 10th Birthday. Hosted by the PicturePush website...

HRH Princess Elisabeth

W/her proud parents, Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde

Elisabeth and her Father

Lovely close up of the two of them

Close up of the little Princess

Close up of Elisabeth w/her Parents

Time flies, doesn't it? She's growing up into a lovely young lady. She also made her first official speech last week when, alongside her Parents, she opened the Princess Elisabeth Hospital for Children in Brussels. She's already performed a couple of duties alongside of either one of or both of her Parents, but this was the first time she'd actually performed a speech.

I really like the way Phillipe and Mathilde are grooming Elisabeth for her future role and think now is the perfect age for her to start doing the odd thing here and there. At least IMO.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Because of Bill & Cathy Cambridge's visit with Fred and Mary Denmark, I did some searching for royal gossip online...............

:wideeyes:

OMG, there are some vicious forums out there about trans-global royals! Mary especially is ripped to shreds by many, many posters.

Here's my question: Can we believe them? Is she really the vapid, $-hungry twit they paint her as or is it just the insane ramblings of bitter old queens and spinsters??? Few of them give any sources to back up their postings, but even as a guy who has seen ALOT of twisted things in his lifetime, I was surprised at the vitriol aimed at Mary (and Fred, who they call out for being a huge royal doofus).

Thoughts/comments/opinions?? I'll hunt around at work for the direct links and post them here...........

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, considering what we'd have to believe about some skaters if we listened to their uberfans and uberhaters...I'm going to go with there might be a grain of truth in there somewhere. Maybe.

10. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Huh... I haven't heard anything about it. But I concede that I haven't gone looking for people's opinions either.

Could it be true? Maybe. Or maybe these people are just bothered that Frederick picked up his future queen in a bar. But whatever Mary may be, at least she usually looks good! Yeah, that's my shallowness showing.

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I totally hear ya. It just sort of blows my mind as to where these people are getting their dish. Is their brother-in-law an equerry or something? :lol:

This is the website. I feel dirty even reading it....... :slinkaway

Now that I think of it, I wish I hadn't. You know what they say about opinions! ;)

Wow, Fred and I have something in common: We're both adept at picking up queens in bars. :D

'Cept I never had to give any of mine tiaras..........
    just the occasional pearl necklace

I second that motion. Who wants a farbissina sittin' on the throne? :D

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

old queens and spinsters are behind so many things

how do w get it all done fergus? ;)

13. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ I tell ya, there just ain't enough hours in the day.

But then again, my nickname isn't "Old Mrs. Angostura" for nuttin'. ;)

14. AragornElessar

Considering some things I've seen posted over at The Royal Forums about Kate, Mary, Charlene and a few others, and by the same two or three posters *every* single freaking time, I chalk it up to spiteful old hags.

I also wish they'd go away to some of these other forums and be w/their own kind.

edited to add...According to Charles' website, William and Kate will be at the Cenotaph for the UK National Service of Remembrance.

Official Website of The Prince of Wales ~ Sunday 13th November 2011

15. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ I really must agree. After watching the videos from the UNICEF visit, my first thought was that the British & Danish monarchies will be in very capable hands in the future. :)

16. skatesindreams

^^^
    Envy makes people say/post strange things.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I picked up my future king in a bar - 26 1/2 years and counting!

18. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

As did my parents; they are approaching 31 years of marriage. :)

19. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

20. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I will be the first to :40beers: & :cheer2: them when it happens, but I personally am gonna bet the farm that they're gonna wait until after the Jubilee/Olympics. Just have a feeling. :)

Although securing the line of succession would be the most FABULOUS Jubilee gift they could give HMQ!

And if the first one is a girl, b/c of the succession change adopted at the CHOGM, they're totally gonna name it Elizabeth! :biggrinbo That would be the most awesome tribute imaginable!

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

poor dear, can't she just dislike nuts?

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Love the idea of Elizabeth! I had thought that they might name a daughter Diana, but given the change in rules, I don't think the naming of the first daughter and potential Queen of England will require some serious thinking.

So many things right about Elizabeth - the legacy of Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II, his beloved grandmother, the reference to the Tudor period when I believe their family trees cross.

And then of course there's the question of what she will be called - Beth, Becky, Liz, Lizzie, Betty, Eliz?

And will little Di be the second daughter? A middle name? Perhaps one of Harry's children?

:rollin:

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Exactly. I also wonder if in consideration of the number of children she is likely to see and touch, she might be trying to make sure that she never had peanut on her hand or something?

24. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Just 'cuz I'm bored on a slow Friday afternoon:

How do you get an old queen all "verklempt"? Sing to her!

Go to 3:39 in this video. She looks to be sincerely touched and sorta surprised by the adulation, its so sweet.

This video gives me chills. Such a happy celebration so soon after the passing of her mother and sister, I can only imagine the mixed emotions she must have been feeling.

(Subtle licking of bottom lip = HMQ's way of holding back tears?)

Now, almost ten years after the first two and she still looks fabulous and sincerely moved. :)

Damn, I love that old gal :swoon: . :cheer2: to HMQ!

25. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when it's offically announced,she may just not like peanuts.Alot. I don't like lamb.Will not eat it under any circumstances.Maybe she's the same with peanuts...or maybe she is preggers.Who knows :)

26. skatesindreams

I'll believe these pregnancy stories when something is officially announced - not before.
    The papers have been saying this since the day after the wedding!

27. floskate

floskate Vacant

Well thanks Fergus, that's me all verklempt re-watching those videos!!!! :wuzrobbed

I wore my golden jubilee VHS tape out years ago watching and re-watching such an amazing display of thanks and gratitude. I remember thinking that the pundits could be right; that we weren't 'in the mood' for it but I have never been more happy to be proved wrong and more proud to be British than I was on this day. HMQ deserved no less for her life's devotion to us. Amid the financial crises, the wanton destruction of society by certain factors and some kind of fanatical mission by successive governments to take the Great out of Great Britain, I will be eternally greatful for everything she has done for us. I only wish more people here could see the bleakness of living in the UK without a monarchy. Trust me I do NOT begrudge my 70p a year or whatever it is to keep the monarchy up and running!!! :cheer:

28. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

huh, I ate peanuts during my pregnancy. No one told me not to eat them, so I dont know where the article get ther doctors advice from :p

I think she will go crazy trying to fend of pregnancy rumors, poor girl

As for Mary, she used to work for a company my husband used to work for in Denmark, when they were still dating. She kept a very low profile (not many people knew she was even working in Denmark), and apparently did her job well (though my husband didn't work directly with her at all, but there were no bad rumors). I really don't think she is a 'gold-digger' in any kind of way.

To me the whole notion is strange, she is a well educated woman, and she meets a guy where if she want to marry him she has no choice in whether she wants children, in where she lives, in what she does (not career for you), what religion she belongs to. To me someone would have to be crazy in love to accept those terms.

In general Danish media is also very positive about her, and has been from the beginning. Which is not what they have been to all Frederik's previous girl friends...

29. skatesindreams

Thanks so much Fergus.

floskate, I'm verklempt, also
    I love HMQ; and honour her for spending her life in service to the country; it's history, and traditions.
    She is a rare person indeed.

30. AragornElessar

And aren't we all lucky to have Her Majesty around to show us what true class and dignity is all about as well? :)

On another note...Queen Beatrix and Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander and Crown Princess Maxima are on a tour of the Dutch Caribbean countries at the moment.

You know...While I often look at some of Maxima's choices and go, *shudder*, I do give it to her for always having that inate chutzpah of hers to actually pull it off.

Somewhat. :D

What am I talking about? For example, here's this morning's ensemble. I love that hat, but the rest of it? Not so much. However, Maxima's always just oozing love of life that she really does end up making some awful stuff fashion wise work for her.

At least most of the time.

Speaking of the Dutch...The Order of Splendour's Tiara Thursday for this week focuses on the Antique Pearl Tiara of the Dutch Collection.

I think from the pictures there, Maxima pulls it off the best, but she also usually has the best Tiara hair out of all the Crown Princesses IMO.

edited to add...This photo didn't load before I posted. One of the very few women, Royal or Non Royal, who actually does look good in that shade of yellow. This was from yesterday's activities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.