Happiest Olympic silver medalist?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Jun 21, 2013.

?

Happiest Olympic silver medialist?

1. Stephane Lambiel (2006)

27 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Paul Wylie (1992)

81 vote(s)
    38.4%
  3. Elizabeth Manley (1988)

71 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Kitty & Peter Carruthers (1984)

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang (2006)

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Qing Pang & Jian Tong (2010)

9 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Isabelle & Paul Duschenay (1992)

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto (2006)

7 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Other

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I think Pang/Tong were delighted with their silver in Vancouver, mainly because I don't think they expected to beat both S/S and K/S; it was made all the sweeter after missing out in Torino IMO.

2. minignome

minignome New Member

This. It annoys me every Olympics to see a silver medalist sobbing on the podium like their favorite puppy just died. It's an Olympic medal for goodness sakes. Whoever thought of the "you don't win silver you lose gold" slogan I hope has an appropriate corner of heck (where they are forced to watch hours skating competitions where the only music allowed is Carmen, Bolero, Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake and Requiem for a Dream, accompanied by Scott Hamilton screech commentary with tap water and stale popcorn for snacking).

3. torren

torren New Member

When one silver medal skater had has dream for olympic gold medal long time. It is understandable. As an example Mao looked so disappointed on podium. Because Mao's long time dream since she was young was only vancouver olymic gold medal, not any other color of medal. When she was young genius girl, She and mamy her fans believed that she will be olympic gold medalist in future, particularly in Vancouver. So It was understandable

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Michelle Kwan cried about her silver because she was sad she lost. All of the women silver medalists do. This leads to the question, are women skaters more emotional and bitter about losing than men?

Of course we have to exclude Oda from our sample as an extreme outlier.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Maybe men are better at hiding their emotions due to societal expectations, but you can't really say that Orser, Stojko (1994), Plushenko (2002 and 2010) among others were non-emotional about their silver medals.

Whereas, Midori Ito, Elizabeth Manley (at the time), and Sasha Cohen weren't exactly crying on the podium either.

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I agree with you. The women get more media attention, so their post-Olympic years of coming to terms with loss-- e.g. Janet Lynn, Fratianne, Sumners, Manley, Thomas, Trenary, Ito, Kerrigan, Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen--are more exposed. The men get to have the same "issues" without the public seeing it as much. Some skaters-- and this is true of men as often as women--are prone to melancholy. Dorothy Hamill said she was a tiny bit sad at the time she won, because she knew her dream was coming to end. This was just her temperament. She could be tough, but she had a predisposition to getting depressed--even in happy times.

7. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I think every athlete needs a course in losing gracefully on the podium. Watching a disappointed silver or bronze medalist is awful and it's totally disrespectful to the person who won, ruining their moment.

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Surya Bonaly was very disrespectful, but we forgive her because she came from an insane family.

9. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I don't think so. How can you help emotions? I don't think it is disrespectful to the person that wins. In every other sport the losing team is allowed to look sad. Why are figure skaters supposed to be robots? As long as they don't act like Surya Bonaly and rip off their medal, I have no problem with disappointment. I even give Nancy Kerrigan a pass with her make up comment.

Sasha Cohen looked disappointed in every event she skated in, but I think she was still a graceful non winner. I still remember the interview at 2003 nationals where she was staring at her water bottle the whole interview. Girl was upset at how she skated. I see no fault in that!

The US gymnastics ladies were clearly upset with their silver medals in 2004 and 2008. Does that make them selfish?

The gold medalists are probably not even thinking of the silver medalists. Do you really think Sarah felt her moment in 2002 was ruined by Michelle and Irina being upset at how they skated? Michelle was visibly upset in 1998 and I am 100% sure that did not ruin Tara's moment.

The only competition that I can think of where the silver medalist might have been on the gold medalists mind is the women's vault competition at the
    2012 Olympics when Mckayla Marony was like the clear favorite, ended up with silver, and was doing the whole "not impressed" face. LOL.

Many of these athletes are children.

10. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

I think you both got your points. Of course, when aiming for the gold, anything else but gold seems like having "lost" the gold, rather than won something different. That's bad, because for many, the silver, bronze or even a place lower than third is or will be the highest they ever achieved, and it should be considered a great value in a skaters career to have competed on the highest level, regardless of the ourtcome on that specific fateful event. It obviously makes a big difference whether a young skater has the mantra in mind "I'm going to win the Olympics" or "I'm going to take part in the Olympics one day". The latter might be the healthier, although I can't deny that the former may bring out the absolute best in said skater during the time of the run-up to the podium.

As for being disrespectful: sobbing on the podium from disappointment is understandable (as it is behind the scenes and everywhere else) and I wouldn't say it's disrspectful. Emotions can't be helped most times, and with the pressure decreasing, tears just run. It may appear thoughtless crying because of a silver or bronze, but it's not tactless against those who won, but rather tactless against those who haven't even made the podium - although have dreamt to make it just as much.

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

But what about Surya?

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

:confused::confused:

That a large and inaccurate generalization. For starters, Liz Manley's silver Olympic medal is an example. Then, Cupcake was thrilled to earn silver to Kwan in 2003. And Akiko Suzuki was beyond happy about her podium placement.

Speaking about happy silvers for men, don't forget Ten from this year.

13. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I agree that Surya's 1994 display was probably the worst example of being out of order on the podium. And McKayla did everything except rip off her medal. Classy.

It's not just figure skaters, either. It's anyone on a podium.

To each his own, I guess. Nancy Kerrigan's behavior? I thought it was lousy. Even teenagers are old enough to behave well. Emotions are entirely understandable, but yes, one can feign a positive appearance for a few minutes. It's good sportsmanship. Tears, anger and disappointment can be controlled. Beauty pageant contestants do it all the time. ;) I have no problem with backstage disappointment.

When I see an obviously disappointed silver/bronze medalist on the podium, I end up watching them more than the winner. So for me, it does take away from the winner's big moment.

14. VIETgrlTerifa

I think a lot of times skaters try, but they can't completely be in control. Kwan wasn't bawling or crying on the podium and put on a brave face, smiled, and sang the national anthem. However, you could tell her eyes were puffy from crying.

BTW, I may be a jerk but I loved the Nancy comment. It was stupid of her to say it when the cameras were there, but she was talking amongst her peers (Lu Chen) and other people near the backstage. She probably didn't realize the camera was filming, so she probably thought it was a semi-private setting. I may be projecting here, but I'm sure Lu Chen may have appreciated the joke because she too was waiting for like 30 minutes and was told the wrong thing about Baiul holding up the ceremony because she was putting on make-up. Seriously, if someone told you that, you'd be a little crabby too.

15. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Nancy was upset since she knows she was robbed of gold. Even people who arent fans of Nancy mostly all admit this. The delay and Baiul's histronics just rubbed salt in the wounds and made it even worse. To do that to her after all she had been through was a crime by the judges.

16. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Please Nancy was just acting like a spoiled princess. Oksana had none of the advantages Kerrigan grew up with mainly having a family and the best training facilities. Even if she did get robbed she came off badly. Then of course the Disney parade fiasco where she was caught bitching about how corny it was.

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, Plush wasn't crying, but he sure didn't waste any time declaring himself the 2010 "Platinum" medalist. Orser also said once that it was difficult to talk about the Olympic LP night even years later. Stojko seems bitter too, given how much he likes to criticize current skaters/IJS.

18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Do they? How do you know?

19. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Actually I saw tears in Plushy's eyes, but he did not declare himself Platinum medalist, it was his wife who first declared him and then the fans who put the medal on his website. Maybe it is difficult for people to believe that Plushenko does not moderate the site but I've also seen a lot of other strage thins there, at least strange for an official site, like avatars with Patrick Chan and other skaters etc. And I bet Plushenko didn't call in second 2 and say, "hey, what is all the Patrick Chan/Daisuke Takahashi/etc. fangirling on my website''?

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that if chanunderrated asked every person who is not a fan of Nancy, it means there are not a lot of persons who don't like her !

23. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  24. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Being uninformed or missinformed does not mean to be a hater.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Evidence, please? I didn't watch the competition, but didn't care much for how either skater was packaged. Oksana the orphan waif, Nancy the working class girl made glamorous.

When the competition is discussed on this board, my impression is that it is 50-50 either way.

26. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Personally as I have stated before, I would have Baiul off the podium completely. I am sure there are some who think she deserved to win gold that night, but in general over the last 20 years, the consensus has been that Kerrigan was robbed. IMO its the only time she was robbed of a placement in her career.

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Actually over the years I understand more and more why people think Baiul should have won. Her core skating skills are better, even though she didn't get to really show them. Still, her skate fell short of the required standards at the same (footwork, change foot combo spin, spin revolutions, jump combos, spin difficulty or having any sort of in-betweens) and should not have gotten the scores she did. As bland as Kerrigan was, her skate was at least more complete.

All things considered I would have Chen or even Sato win the free - don't know how that would affect the podium as they both had issues in the short.

Probably something like:

Chen 5.8/5.9
    Sato 5.7/5.9
    Kerrigan 5.8/5.7
    Baiul 5.5/5.6

28. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I am one of those who is not a Kerrigan fan. But to say that her skating that night was not better than Baiul is wrong IMO. Sure Oksana had personality and speed but that shouldn't win gold medals when another skater has a near flawless skate. It seems the judges were sick of the Nancy/Tonya debacle and were enchanted with Baiul. So all of sudden Kerrigan who was always a judges favorite, all of sudden wasn't.

Also when Chen and (especially) Sato underperformed in the SP, it left the door more open for Baiul to win over Kerrigan. Sato didn't get to skate in the final flight so was not going to beat Baiul unless she melted down , and Chen was now just viewed as a Bronze medal contender with Bonaly.

Also what difference should it make how Baiul or Kerrigan were packaged. I'm not a fan of either one personally, but again it has no bearings on their performances.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

I agree. Not to make such a bold, absolute statement, but the only people who think Kerrigan should not have beaten Baiul in the LP (even if they think Chen and Sato were superior) are ones who either just love Baiul no matter what she did or are really happy Kerrigan is not an Olympic gold medalist for a bunch of reasons.

I'm far from being a Kerrigan fan (even if I do perceive that FSU has a bias against her to the point where she's underrated) and I prefer Baiul most of the time, but that night, Baiul was majorly gifted for the crap she put out. Now, had her SP been her LP...that would've been different as that SP showcased her skills much better.

30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I do agree with what many of you are saying. The judges were sick of the whole Harding-Kerrigan hype that they had been ringing in Lillehammer for 2 weeks solid (well probably more) by then. In that sense Harding's bodygaurds's friends nephew clubbing Kerrigan probably did cost her the Olympic Gold, despite her coming back from it and skating brilliantly. By that point Kerrigan winning would have been the Cinderella dream story and dream ending that American producers would have probably made movies about for years, and the thought of that to many became nauseating so some decided to just puncture that balloon if they could.

They also were running out of viable alternatives to win at that point. Chen and Sato were no longer factors for the gold after the short program. No way on earth they were ever going to see Bonaly as an Olympic Gold medalist. Baiul was really in the right place at the right time. I wouldnt say that about her 93 World title which was very impressive considering who she was at the time, was won over a very strong event of skating even with Kerrigan's meltdown, and which was won with a more solid performance than her 94 Olympics one.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013