Happiest Olympic silver medalist?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Jun 21, 2013.

?

Happiest Olympic silver medialist?

1. Stephane Lambiel (2006)

27 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Paul Wylie (1992)

81 vote(s)
    38.4%
  3. Elizabeth Manley (1988)

71 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Kitty & Peter Carruthers (1984)

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang (2006)

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Qing Pang & Jian Tong (2010)

9 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Isabelle & Paul Duschenay (1992)

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto (2006)

7 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Other

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

We know that many (probably most) Olympic silver medalists are disappointed not to have won gold, but who was the happiest to get silver?
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Paul Wylie
  3. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Lambiel seemed pretty happy in 2006.

Pang and Tong in 2010, perhaps?
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Definitely Paul Wylie. Second, would probably be the Carruthers, or Manley.
  5. skateboy

Poll is up now.
  6. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I think Lambiel. And he probably realised he was quite lucky.
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

8. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Not Pang and Tong - they should have won gold. I'd say Liz Manley
  9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I would say the 10 happiest in order were:

1. Rosalynn Sumners 1984
    2. Paul Wylie 1992
    3. Carruthers & Carruthers 1984
    4. Stephane Lambiel 2006
    5. Pang & Tong 2010
    6. Karen Magnussen 1972
    7. Bechke & Petrov 1992
    8. Elizabeth Manley 1988
    9. Belbin & Agosto 2006
    10. Davis & White 2010

I am sure there are many others that I didnt think of though.
  10. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I like your list, but of all those mentioned, Wylie stands out. Wylie was the one that went into the Games never even having been close to the podium in any prior Worlds. He was the hugest underdog.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

For me it was a toss up between Wylie and Lambiel. Wylie couldn't stop smiling- it was great to see him like that. Lambiel cried like a baby on the podium- with joy. However, Lambiel was at least a medal contender. Nobody expected Wylie to be on the podium. The surprise factor for both the skaters and the fans was much bigger for Wylie, so I am guessing that he was the happiest.

Liz Manley was also a surprise silver winner in her home country, and looked so happy in Calgary. She kind of spoiled it later by suggesting that she should have won the gold instead. So I dropped her from the list.
  12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

They maybe should have won gold, but going from 4th to 2nd surpassing two mistake filled programs by other pairs should have made them very happy.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I never really got 'happy' vibes from the Duchesnays. They wanted gold. Badly. And there was so much pressure on them to deliver. OT but I was so disappointed in their FD. Their "West Side Story" was very good but not at the level of their "Savage Rite" or "Missing" programs imo.
  14. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

I don't think Ros Sumners was particularly happy about getting silver in '84. She was expected to win.

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Why are people ranking Liz Manley so high when people say she was so bitter about it in her autobiography? She felt she was robbed or something.
  16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Lambiel definitely. I would actually say the Duschenays were the most miserable silver medalists, and you can see it even before they skate their FD (they knew by then it was mathematically impossible).
  17. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't remember Lambiel's reaction. Liz Manley was happy until the wuzrobbed talk started.

Paul Wylie and the Carruthers refused to listen to any wuzrobbed talk and have always maintained that they couldn't have asked for a better end to their competitive career than skating their best at the Olympics.

The others mentioned were hoping to win, and most have expressed regrets in not doing so.
  19. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Liz Manley looked absolutely thrilled at her skate, her marks, her placement, on the podium and during the victory lap. That's why I voted for her. I didn't read her autobiographies, but I've heard they're particularly trashy. :D I'm throwing out a theory that she became bitter after she left the arena and everyone began telling her she was robbed.
  20. skateboy

:confused: You're kidding, right?

Roz did almost as much complaining about "losing the gold by a tenth of a point" as Linda Fratianne claimed she wuzrobbed.
  21. judgejudy27

Well IMO she was never a very good skater and her performances at the games in the short and long kind of sucked, nowhere near most of her 1983 performances, so I think she should have been extremely happy with the silver.

Yes pretty much. I can rarely resist the temptation to poke fun at Rosalynn I concede.
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain JJ was cracking a joke.
  23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Lambiel cried like a baby on the podium. They were tears of joy, however.

I am surprised that the Zhangs did not get any votes. I don't know if they were happy or not, but after her horrible fall, they should have been extremely happy about their silver medal in 2006, ahead of S&Z.

I think Belbin-Agosto were pretty happy with the silver. I think they were the first ice dance team from the USA to finish that high at the Olympics, and at that point they seemed to have many more years ahead of them.
  24. judgejudy27

I think the Zhangs were very happy with silver in 2006 indeed. First of there was never much hope they could beat Totmianina & Marinin at that event. I hugely doubt they would have even had they landed the quad salchow (they might have eked out the LP win, but still not enough). They were favored to win the silver going in, and seemed to have the political backing of the Chinese fed. that year over returning from injury S&Z and the often less favored P&T, but the cirumstances they managed it under probably made it a thrilling conquest for them.
  25. skateboy

Z/Z were very happy, I remember him doing a little cheer when the scores came up. (I'm probably in the minority, in that I thought they fully deserved their silver.)

B/A never showed any regret for winning silver, either.

That said, I voted for the Carruthers. They were beyond thrilled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jer97vmp2ZY
  26. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Wylie, since he wasn't expected to win any medal at all, and he had never even won a World medal, IIRC.
  27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I thought they deserved the silver medal for short track or ice roller derby.
  28. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The 3 first where the first that came to my mind.
    My vote goes to Stephane Lambiel. Although he was current World champion, his reaction was amazing. He seemed so happy :)
  29. care bear

care bear Active Member

Paul Wylie and Pang/Tong.
  30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Plushenko in 2010 :p He got the silver AND the platinum :scream:
  31. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I think he might actually qualify as the unhappiest silver medalist (well, maybe a tie with Roz Sumners).
  32. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I don't think Pang/Tong should have been happy, IMO they were undermarked in the SP and should have won overall. (I also think they should have been on the podium in 2006 - IMO they should have been 2nd in the FS.) However I think they *were* happy in 2010, not just for themselves, but also for Shen/Zhao, because P/T are such lovely people. Remember when they won their 1st World title in 2006, how they carried Shen out for their victory lap.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  33. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

I voted for Manley - it was pure joy watching her run around the rink and embrace everyone coming along! It showed me how much of a wonder an unexpected silver medal can mean to someone. She was so lovely.

I can't understand the Duchesnays being on the list of possible "happiest" silver medalists (you might as well include Brian Orser in '88, then...); they were visibly anything but happy. They had entered the competitions in bad health condition and under immeasurable pressure as a result of the medias' and the French federation's expectations. It was sad, because the disappointment shown by those officials maybe prevented the Duchesnays from enjoying their achievement. An Olympic silver medal is something most skaters can never even dream of.
  34. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

35. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I agree because in retrospect, they were lucky to win that silver.
  36. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Don't forget to thow in Linda Fratianne and Nancy Kerrigan also.
  37. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

100% Manley!!
  38. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't think Pang & Tong were expecting a gold in 2010; the year had belonged to S&Z. Given the competition (S&S and K&S who were also medal contenders) I think P&T were happy that they had skated great and won the silver. BTW it was not Pang & Tong that carried Shen out on the ice after their victory. It was the other P&T (Petrova-Tikhonov)- actually just Tikhonov who carried Shen out on the ice, and it was not a victory lap because Pet-Tik only won a bronze (IMO they deserved at least a silver). Pet-Tik were wonderful people, and I believe they knew S&Z pretty well.
  39. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

:lol: & I was just saying today how completely rubbish my memory is! It wasn't even that long ago...

I know what you mean but I hate the idea that the year 'belonged' to S/Z - I think that idea is why they won.
  40. LESLIE

LESLIE Guest

Paul Wylie was thrilled to get an olympic medal and the audience treated him like he won the gold. We were so happy for him, he deserved every ovation he received.

We had tickets for SOI at Hershey and he unexpectably made his first appearence as the Silver Olympic Medalist there. The audience was amazing and they had to wait until the cheering was over for him to begin skating, what a wonderful memory for me. All his numbers on SOI over the years were special and we still watch them.

We saw him skate on a show recently and he still has wonderful lines, missing that in alot of the skaters today.