Happiest Olympic Bronze Medallist

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jul 13, 2013.

?

Happiest Olympic Bronze medallist? (Pick 3)

Poll closed Nov 10, 2013.
  1. Viktor Petrenko (1988)

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Petr Barna (1992)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Philip Candeloro (1994)

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Chen Lu (1998)

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  5. Tim Goebel (2002)

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  6. Joannie Rochette (2010)

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  7. Jeff Buttle (2006)

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  8. Daisuke Takahashi (2010)

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. Nancy Kerrigan (1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Kira Ivanova (1984)

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  11. Josef Sabovcik (1984)

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

A bronze medal at the Olympics may be a disappointment to some, but many skaters were happy to receive the bronze medal.

Who appeared the happiest to you? (Pick 3)
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Chen Lu. It was a great turn around moment for her after such a bad previous year.
  3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Petrenko 1988- a good choice.

Barna 1992- dont think so. Before the Games he likely would have been, but he skated poorly that night like almost all the contenders, and with the way the competition had done he actually could have won had he skated well. To finish lower on the podium than Paul Wylie who was less of a contender than him going in wasnt also that satisfying.

Candelero- a great choice.

Chen Lu- the best choice so far.

Tim Goebel- a decent choice.

Joannie Rochette- I think given the personal tragedy in her life at that point in time it would be hard to feel super happy even had she won the gold. So for that reason alone I would say no.

Jeff Buttle- He seemed pretty happy but I doubt it was the most satisfying. He didnt skate all that great, and he could have even won silver with how the competition had been skated.

Takahashi- He seemed pretty happy but I am pretty sure he was far from the happiest. He had a real shot of winning, and he had fallen in his long program.

Kerrigan- I am sure she was pretty happy with the bronze but she wasnt happy at all with her performance that night.

Ivanova- similar to Kerrigan, she was probably pretty happy with the bronze, but she didnt seem that happy with her performance in the final free skate, nor should she have been.

Sabovcik- a decent choice.

My vote went to Chen in 1998.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That's a great point.
  5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I picked just one : Lu Chen 1998 !
    The others seemed equally happy :)
  6. kukkura

kukkura Member

I don't know how he personally took it, but I think Candeloro's second bronze 1998 was more remarkable than the first. The competition was tougher even with some top men having health problems.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

He looked very happy- almost as much as in 94. He was not expected to medal at all. I left out his 1998 bronze to avoid splitting the votes. Same with Chen Lu in 1994.
  8. judgejudy27

Interesting nobody voted for Barna and Kerrigan, despite the fact that both were probably slightly surprising medalists (especialy Kerrigan). I think that is a reflection though just of the overall blah 92 Olympics, and generally thought of the 92 Olympics as a down event all around except for the dance which was spectacular. IMO nobody besides Wylie was super happy in the other disciplines:

Pairs:

M&D- pretty happy as they won and it was a great performance, but she admitted to being a bit dissapointed they didnt skate their very best, and not as well as they did at the 91 Worlds or would at the 92 Worlds.

B&P- the 3rd happiest medalist of the whole Olympics probably after K&P finally getting their long awaited ice dancing gold and Wylie of course.

B&E- obviously not happy falling several times, and not atleast getting silver given the pre Olympic predictions; although they should have been happy in another sense to be gifted the bronze over superior performances by K&N.

K&N- controversially losing a medal on a split decision, and wasting a medal chance on their own accord by making mistakes of their own just like all the other top pairs. Obviously wouldnt be happy.

S&N- even they wasted an unexpected outside shot of a bronze given the mistakes of the other 4 teams and their worst performance given that even when young they were a consistent pair. So not happy either.

Men:

Petrenko- bittersweet to win with such a weak performance for him.

Barna- as noted probaly would have been happy with a bronze medal if you told him that before the Games, but with a poor performance, and missing a chance at the silver or even gold given the other performances, probably not all that happy.

Bowman- skated a very good LP and lost a medal chance by a minor mistake in the SP. His career had been on decline awhile so missing a medal probably wasnt super dissapointing in one sense. Still 4th was probably bittersweet after all his ups and down, and given that his strong LP might have won him a medal had he done a clean SP.

Browning- disaester in every sense.

Stojko- probably felt he was gyped by the judges (which despite his youthful lack of polish given the competition he probably was). Probably not happy despite skating amazingly at his first Olympics.

Elredge- disaester in every sense as well, although not as dissapointing as Browning given that he was young and had many future chances, and was lucky to even make it to the Games in one sense.

Women:

Yamaguchi- winning gold after losses to archrivals Ito and Harding and their triple axels that season should have been very satisfying, but she admitted to being dissapointed to not win with one of her greatest skates. She probably would have rather had her Nationals or Worlds performance here instead.

Ito- obviously dissapointment to not win, especialy with how badly her country wanted it as well as herself, and to have a fall in both programs.

Kerrigan- probably would have been very happy to win a bronze pre Games, but was probably dissapointed to have one of her usual subpar LPs, or even a bit worse than usual in this instance. Given the other performances as well maybe, just maybe, she could have done better if she had an unusual strong LP performance too.

Harding- obviously dissapointed to not medal when she came in hoping to be fighting for the gold, and to have self sabotoged herself in so many ways.

Bonaly- was really a long shot to medal but after being 3rd in the short and all the mistakes she probably had hoped she could pull one of, and the French press were overzealous in putting nearly as much pressure on her as they put on the Duchensays, and as the Japanese were putting on Ito, which was completely unreasonable given her inexperience and development to that point. So she probably also felt she had let people down, although this never should have been the case. Mostly was probably dissapointed to not skate one of her best performances in the LP like almost everyone else.
  9. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I'm not sure I'd say Kerrigan could have done better unless Ito and Yamaguchi themselves totally melted down. Kerrigan actually should have been very happy with to medal at all. Even though it was a pretty poor performance, she did skate an excellent SP, and combined with the fact that Harding sabatoged herself in the SP made it easier for Kerrigan to win that Bronze.
  10. judgejudy27

Well it was unlikely which is why I said just maybe (still probably not). Still in a crazy hypothetical Kerrigan skated cleanly with all 7 triples she had planned after Kristi`s performance, I think it is possible the judges would have been pushed into a corner and might have ended up giving her the gold, even if they didnt really want to. I also looked at the scores in detail and many of the judges had Kerrigan only .3 lower than Yamaguchi, and she singles her 2 most important jumps, and had a fall, so I think it is easy to imagine many of those putting her above in the unlikely event she had skated perfectly (and yes I know that is crazy to even consider when at the peak of her training and skating in the 94 season she never made more than 5). The other side is in that scenario they might have also intially just taken the unexpected chance to put her over Kristi to give Midori a chance to win as well, and then after Ito`s performance which also had mistakes but had the heroic late triple axel inflated her marks slightly to give her the gold over Nancy`s fantasy clean performance and a now 3rd placed Kristi, which they now had the math to do.

Even so I think she was upset with her own performance which wasnt even as good as her U.S National performance. Everyone knows she wasnt a strong LP skate at that point of her career, but she was steadily getting better, and her performance was a step down from her Nationals performance and even her previous years Worlds LP, and she seemed very upset with it when it finished. I dont think skaters feel great with a given result even if it is a good result for them when you arent happy with your performance, and that was the case for almost EVERY top skater outside of the ice dance at the Splaterville Olympics.
  11. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I agree it was worst than Kerrigans 91 performances. Actually Kerrigans skating as a whole seemed to take a dive starting with the Olympics and ending with 93 worlds. Every performance seemed to get worse and worse.
  12. judgejudy27

It seemed she got caught up in her increasing popularity (which went far beyond her success which was very good but not great, but very good success + All American beauty led to tons of attention and endorsements) at the expense of her skating. She started to think of herself as a huge star and champion before she ever was. 93 Worlds was the huge kick in the shin she needed. Her coaches admit by the fall of 93 she never had trained like that before, and that is the way she should have been training and skating for the past 3 years (their exact words).

Never was a fan of hers at all, but I really wish she had been able to skate at Nationals and Worlds that year, and had a complete season in her best year of skating. Had it not been for the clubbing she might have won all 3 of Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds (probably would have gone without all the crazy new press), and given fans more opportunities to see her in her only ever year of training and competing strong complete LPs.

Especialy as it was only a one year thing, as once her pro career got underway she was back to something far below even her pre 94 season level of training. She never viewed her pro skating as more than a side hobby and way to collect some easy money.
  13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Rochette because even though she was sad because of her mother's death, she was very happy that she got through her performance and made it out with a bronze medal in front of all her Canadian fans. It was a good tribute performance for her mother.

Buttle, because he wasn't expected to medal. At least, not that I remember. Same with Candeloro. I actually can't remember if he was happy or not but I'd expect he was since I don't think he'd really been expected to medal either. IIRC, Buttle nor Candeloro had even won any World medals before winning Olympic bronzes?
  14. blue_idealist

Oh yeah, if Brasseur and Eisler 1994 had been an option, I would have chosen them, because they were very happy with their bronze in '94, according to their book (but not so happy in '92).
  15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

With Takahashi getting in effect a total zero on his first jump I can't imagine a lot of happy! But there was no previous season at all!! Totally out because of injury. But what about beig out for a year and then being in put a position to win and almost everyone doing 3/5 all triple programs but you chose to do a quad and lose a whole jumping pass. I can only assume real mixed emotions! Chen Lu I think total happiness!
  16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am surprised. Didn't Lloyd complain (not in the book) that they were deprived of a gold because the pros (G&G and M&D) returned to competition?
  17. blue_idealist

Well, I think that the happiness part was actually written from Isabelle's perspective, come to think of it. They switched "voices" throughout the book, IIRC (I haven't read it in a long time). Isabelle was happy to get the bronze because her Dad had recently died and she wanted to skate well in honour of her Dad's memory. Apparently Lloyd whispered at the end of the LP? that the performance was for Isabelle's Dad (I don't remember his name off the top of my head). Oh yeah, I think Isabelle also said they were happy with this bronze because they had skated well, unlike in '92 and they had lost to the returning pros, not just "average" teams like Bechke/Petrov. I don't think she used the word average, but that was the gist of it.
  18. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I kinda want to say Buttle without looking at the options because he is always happy :shuffle:
  19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Heh, yeah. And despite not skating as well as he might have, he won bronze coming back from a 6th place short program, so that's gotta be pretty elating.
  20. blue_idealist

That's true. He is! :)
  21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

How lucky he is :p
  22. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

There was a lot of hype over Chen Lu's bronze so I voted for her. I don't know if she was "actually" the happiest, but she's the one I remember the most.
  23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Considering everything, Lu Chen.