'Hanna' the movie

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, May 16, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

This thread may contain spoilers.........

What really struck me while watching Hanna was what a terrific actress Saoirse Ronan is. Is she the next Meryl Streep? She is good with accents. In the movie 'The way back' she used Polish accent very well. In this movie it's German (plus speaking some other languages in bits and pieces). Like Streep, she has a luminous face. I am sure she was either already trained in the martial arts and the use of guns or she underwent the training for this movie.

I thought it was a very creative movie- unusual story built around a 16 year old girl who is a cold blooded killer. I heard they had tried 2 or 3 different endings for the movie. I am not sure I liked the one they chose, but it was good that they tied the end with the beginning. I thought Cate Blanchet was very good at times and not so good a few times toward the end. Eric Bana, who I like as an actor, was good but not great. I liked the fast pace and action throughout the movie, without resorting to a lot of blood shed and grotesque pictures (although it did have a couple of grotesque ones- the one with a man hung upside down was one of them).

Overall I was entertained by the movie. It kept me on the edge of the seat, but what I remember the most about it is Soirse Ronan. I think she should get an Oscar nomination for this.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I loved this movie. I think she is possibly deserving of an Oscar nomination BUT it is important to remember this was a spring movie and those are usually the least likely to be Oscar contention. It doesn't mean she can't be nominated but it might be tough. I hope they campaign for her, though, she deserves it.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I saw the movie in London purely on the basis of her acting merits, and Saoirse didn't disappoint.

She was great in both Atonement and The Lovely Bones, two very different movies indeed.

What an interesting and versatile young actress.

4. millipied

millipied New Member

I think this was my favorite film so far this year. The acting, cinematogrpahy, story and especially the score were absolutely outstanding. It just proves that you can make an action film that is throughly engaging yet very thought-provoking.
    I thought Cate Blanchett's part was either underwritten or a lot of footage was left on the cutting floor. That scene with grandmother when she says "I made certain choices" was delivered pitch perfect-chilling yet you can't help yourself but feel sad for her.
    Of course, Saiorse was the star of the film.
    Perfect, perfect all around.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I enjoyed the movie a lot as well. Saoirse was great, and so was Eric Bana. Cate Blanchet's acting wasn't as good as she usually is, but still very good.

Someone who saw it said "it's the Bourne Identity...with a kid" lol. Which I guess is somewhat true, but didn't change the fact that it was a great movie.

6. missflick

missflick New Member

Loved her, but the ending left much unanswered.

7. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Her ever changing southern accent was :yikes:

On another note, the soundtrack was killer! :respec:

8. Vash01

I was a little disappointed with the ending. The only explanation I have is early in the movie Erik says to Hanna - "it's you or her" and that's what we see at the end. Still it felt odd.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What is the confusion with the ending, or disappointment? I remember her killing her and it mimicked the way she killed the reindeer in the snow. I thought it was fitting and brought the movie to a nice close. Her training truly worked.

10. Vash01

How do you block out the text that is a spoiler? I have not been able to use it.

To answer Bigbo's question: Where in my post did I say I was confused? I just said I was disappointed. The way the same phrase was used at the beginning and the end seemed contrived to me.