Han Yan Uber Thread - Road to Sochi and Beyond

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Gliding on ice, Feb 19, 2013.

1. waltzNo1

waltzNo1 New Member

I am sorry that you don't get my point in a more positive way. But at least you agree that Han can skate well presentation wise even when he was only 10 or 11 years old. So my actual point is that what Han needs now is a good program that can inspire and motivate him. His lack of presentation is not a capability issue.

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

When Josh was 10 or 11 he could do a Biellmann spin and an I spin.

*shrugs*

What they could do at 10 or 11 is not relevant. Han's focus should be on bringing out what he can do. I don't think anyone ever suggested he wasn't capable of presenting, just that he needed to work on it.

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Han's PCS marks would indicate he's pretty good in the the presentation category already. I agree with posters saying it's more an issue of having the right vehicle and programs. I am a fan of Yan's SP this season but not so much the FS. He is a powerful skater and I think powerful, dramatic music is good for him - the tango he pulls off very well. While Masquerade is powerful I find it a bit too monotonous, which is accentuated with the way Yan's program is layed out. I think David Wilson could create a great program to highlight Yan's strengths.

4. MorganaLefay

MorganaLefay Active Member

I am a gushy "uber". Love him, love his waltz-axels, tons of potential here. Wld be fun to see him train outside of China, of course Orser wld be ideal, but wld be interesting to see him as TAT's pet:). Or even with Carroll. The Russian commentators on 4cc said he's world champion material, and that's one of the few sane things they said.

5. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Here is the pretty girl!!

Yeah he has the most interesting weibo among the Chinese skaters IMO :p

I doubt any skater will get to train abroad for extended period of time, a few male skaters did attend a summer training camp in Colorado Springs recently though. Before this season started, a federation official mentioned getting foreign choreographer for YAN Han but it apparently did not happen.

6. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

CBC showed the 4CC men's field today, and the commentators were raving about his jumps, especially the distance he covers on his jumps and how true his lutz is. Tracy Wilson said that she sees real musicality in his lower body, but that his upper body and face don't yet express that. They both agreed with what the Russian commentators said (thanks, MorganaLefay for the quote), that he could be eventual world championship material. I agree.

It will be really interesting to see how he develops as a skater.

7. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I am intrigued to follow this talented young skater in future years. And he has a great smile (when he shows it!)

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Indeed luckiest1. Han Yan definitely has the talent and skills. Hope to see him within the top 5 in future. I think top 10 is within reach for him soon but not too sure about top 5.
    I think Lori can do wonders with him just like she did wonders with Patrick.:)

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Han has everything he needs to be a contender on the World stage, as a senior. He's not even 17 yet and it's all there already. Now it just comes down to harnessing and making the most of his abilities, developing more consistency, control, and maturity, which is likely to come, at least in part, naturally with age. What really stands out to me though is his power! It's rare you see a skater that young with that kind of power and command of the ice. He is a small guy too, a sturdy physique for his age, but really still very small framed, compact, making his explosiveness that much more :eek:. He could really be something special in a few years time I think.

10. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

If Skate Asia was after Mar 6.2005...he would be 9..born Mar 3.1996.

Pretty impressive for a 9 year old.

11. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Oh he was sooooo tiny! And indeed had a biellmann spin!!

12. waltzNo1

waltzNo1 New Member

You are right. My counting was a little bit off.

13. Gr8Sk8

Gr8Sk8 New Member

I saw Han Yan at Junior Grand Prix Final last year - very impressive.

I think he will go farther than any previous Chinese male skater - has a musical sense as well as the technical skills

14. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

So cute!
    I didn't know he did Biellmann spin. It's beautiful.
    In an interview after his FS at the 4CC, he said he would like to practice spins more. Can't expect bielmman position from him anymore but I'm sure he'll be a beautiful spinner.
    Yes, he has everything. And someday he'll have it all!

15. os168

os168 Active Member

Yes adore this. Very cute... I did speculate whether Hanyu would have kept his bielmman this time last year, and unsurprisingly he didn't. It is too difficult once you get to a certain age especially if you are a guy. I would love him to do the soundtrack to the life of Pi with a demeanor of play and adventure. Together with his thrilling jumps, it can be an amazing spectacle.

16. spikydurian

He's sooo cute. He already had so much speed at that age! BTW, is Han Yan competing in Senior Worlds?

17. iceflame

iceflame New Member

Happy 17th birthday!
    Wish the best for him in the Olympic season:D

He is on the entry list as a substitute. Basicly he will not compete there.

18. misskarne

misskarne #408

Happy birthday, Han!

19. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Someone received a ton of roses!! (for his gala program maybe? :D)

I wonder when will team China depart for Canada. Fans are still not giving up their hopes...

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Why did China not have Han Yan skate at Jr Worlds? WTF he medaled at 4CC but he's not good enough for Jr or Senior Worlds? China has a weird way of developing skaters.

21. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Wow, he had such good edge quality at 9 years old! And the jumping technique! he's pretty good with music too. Really gifted! could be world champions before long.

22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Not that there is any surprise anymore, but yesterday at Weibo (Chinese twitter) he wished Li Zijun good luck at Worlds. Guess that means he isn't going to London...

23. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

^isn't he friends with Nan Song?

this whole situation was so bad managed by the chinese federation:(

24. Sophiesh

Sophiesh New Member

FS: 3A hand, 4T3T, 4T fall, 3lz2t, 3f2t2lo, 3lo, 3lz, 3s
    Nice try on 4T3T in domestic competitions:p

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks! Yan's 4T fall in the FS was marked downgraded << in the FS protocol. He won with a total score of 228.95, 147.51 in FS.

Here's his SP video (3A, 4T, 3Lz+2T, 81.44) from the same competition (posted in the Chinese national competitions thread in Kiss and Cry):
    ETA his FS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNmSnaYa8xs

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  26. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

In LP YAN Han landed 4T-3T then fell on solo 4T.

Apparently the fall was bad enough that his weibo post claimed
    "The fall killed me! I swear if another fall like that happens I'll walk off the ice."
    ZHANG Dan: "Really?"
    ZHU Qiuying: "...and Coach Jia will kick him back on ice."

Another weibo post:
    "Competition over. Miserable fall and little meaningless (or bored?), but still got something... snatched the prizes!"
    WANG Yi: "Brat, you just came to crash the party."
    YAN Han: "Don't say it like that, I am also a part of it."
    Disclaimer: liberal translation LOL

27. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

his jumps are huge, specially in length...
    this program is really long, though and he doesn't seem to get into the music as the one in his sp. Still, I'm amazed by the flow and speed he has, so rare for a chinese skater
    He reminds me of a young Yagudin

28. whispering

whispering Member

Some fans are trying to translate the magazine interview of Han into English.Here is the Q&A part by courtesy of iocy3347

Q: What's your favorite book or movie?
    A: I prefer reading imagination books like "The Grave Robbers' Chronicles". Movies I like Jason Statham's "The Expendables", "Blitz" etc. He is very cool, and the action films are exciting.

Q: What's your favorite fashion brand? What do you usually wear?
    A:I usually wear board shoes, jeans and shirts. Favorite brands are those I am able to afford, such as G-star and diesel.

Q: Do you like other sports other than skating and why?
    A: I love badminton though do not play it often coz I'm afraid of injury, but I used to play a lot.

Q: How do you think you can improve yourself?
    A: Execution and spin. I've got dancing class.

Q: What is your biggest challenge at the moment?
    A:I guess it's to surpass myself. My biggest rival would be Hanyu? Just those Japanese skaters.(<----Han is not good at remembering names and it seemed Hanyu is his most familiar name)

Q: There is one year to go before the Sochi 2014 Olympics, what do you want to say to yourself this time next year?
    A: When you are experiencing difficulty that is a chance to improve yourself. There is a saying "If you are exhausted that means you are walking uphill. I was encouraged like this, and I believe I will get good results if I keep doing this.

Q: If you did not choose figure skating, what profession would you likely to be?
    A: Probably I'll become a student, and may have bad scores, haha.

Q: Who is your idol?
    A: Plushenko, when I was a boy I had all his posters on the wall of my room. Now is Patrick Chan, but he's much like a goal.

Q: Are you feeling happy?
    A: Very happy, I can do what I like everyday, I have my life goals, my grandparents are healthy, those make me happy.

29. spikydurian

Good luck to young Han Yan. It's good to have a goal and work towards it. You have the goods to make it. And I agree for those in their teens like yourself, Joshua, Brown, Gachinski, etc. Hanyu is a class by himself and the 'kid to beat' post Sochi.

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

:lol: It seems that Han has a great sense of humor besides him having tons of potential as a skater. Wish him good luck for the coming season.:kickass: