Han Yan Uber Thread - Road to Sochi and Beyond

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Gliding on ice, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Gliding on ice

Gliding on ice New Member

This thread is for Han Yan (first name: Han, last name: Yan) from China.

Yan made his senior international debut at the 2013 Four Continents Championships in Osaka, Japan, where he took the bronze medal with a personal best score of 235.22 (SP: 85.08, LP: 150.14).

Yan’s SP performance at 2013 4CC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5_PmrOdIaY

Yan started skating at the age of 5. He used to train in Harbin, but has moved to train in Beijing starting this year. He won the gold medal at the 2012 World Junior Championships, becoming the first Chinese to win the men’s junior world title.

Yan’s favorite skaters:
    - Patrick Chan
    - Tomas Verner

Some links:

Han Yan’s Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Han_(figure_skater)

Han Yan’s Chinese Wiki
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/3573950.htm

Han Yan’s Weibo (Chinese version of Twitter)
    http://weibo.com/u/1991083414

Yan is only 16! And he already has a great foundation (i.e. incredible speed, amazing ice coverage, great flow, effortless jumps, good presentation, musicality, etc) which he will only continue to build on as he gets more experience from the senior circuit. With polishing and better choreographed programs, there is no doubt that Han Yan is the future for China.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. misskarne

misskarne #408

Not an uber, but I do enjoy his skating. I hope he does really well on the Senior circuit.

3. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I think he has almost Patrick Chan gliding qualities, and this coming from a chinese skater is very unusual.
    If injuries respect him I see him as a future world champion. He needs world class choreography, I hope he's taken to a great choreographer next season
    All the best to Han!

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Yay über thread for Yan! Lets hope his success at 4CCs (including beating Song) will affect the pecking order within China and can allow him to find better choreographers. He skates great but almost ignores the music and the expressive aspect of it - a good choreographer could take him very far IMO.

5. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

He needs expressions most IMO .

6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

He is 16. Not an uber, but I love him, he has talent, and very good jumping ability.

7. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

not a fan but I love everything about his skating except for his steelish face, if that's a word. I think that could be a loss of 5 point in PCS:) serriously I think he was lowballed inPCS at 4cc

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Han's 3a is the longest most amazing jump I have ever seen :eek: wow. He is so talented. With a good choreographer, he could be a force to be reckoned with very soon indeed.

9. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

He's very handsome too. Can I say that about a 15 year old boy?

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Han is turning 17 in a couple weeks, so makes it a little more acceptable than if he was actually 15.

11. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

While not an uber myself (yet), I have to say that Han Yan is an amazing young talent. Tremendous speed, effortless quality of skating and incredible ease on the jumps. I can easily see him becoming a name to remember in figure skating when he matures artistically and skates at least decently choreographed programs. Wish him the very best of luck.:kickass:

12. misskarne

misskarne #408

I wonder what the politiks is like as regards using international choreographers, with reference to the Chinese Fed? Do they like it? Hate it? Will they hurt him (placements, PCS, Nationals, assignments) if, say, he were to use Tom Dickson?

13. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Nan Song used Jeff Buttle this year...so it seems the Chinese Fed are open to that.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Still no news on whether he is going to Sr Worlds? His name is already off the Jr Worlds list.

15. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^ That's a bit worrying? Hope Han Yan is ok?

16. whispering

whispering Member

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I believe all the Chinese use foreign choreographers.

18. os168

os168 Active Member

Yes and No, it is too easy to generalise. They have their own. Take Li Zijun for example, she used to have Karen Kwan, and last year she had David Wilson for FS, and Jiang Hailan for SP. This year she has Jian Hailan for SP again, and Lori Nochols for FS. Han's choreography could do with lots of improvements, but as such, his Chinese choreographer did enough to showcase his strength which are his enormous jumps. I expect next year Chinese Fed will push for him like what they did for Zijun to try with a foreign choreographer too. (Anyone but Morozov pls)

I actually don't think International Choreographer helps too much with politicks thought it does help a little because it ultimately bring the skater to their potentials. Federation power and in particular who they want to support seems more important. ZiJun imo has been under marked all season in PCS like Hanyu were last year until JSF has clearly gone behind him this year. Chinese Federation seems to have very little influence, just look at CoC where literally no Chinese skaters benefit unlike other federations at their home events. I am really excited by Yan, his potential is enormous, could he be a direct rival to Hanyu in the next few years? Btw, someone should update his Wiki, he is still listed at 5ft5 lol.... surely he is not that short!? Hanyu is listed like 170cm / 5ft7

These photos shows he has grown since then

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...f4134987a9440241f95cad1c85eba_zpscfadf13a.jpg
    http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...1cb13b36ead2ddc54564e92584b8d_zps7d37e602.jpg

19. misskarne

misskarne #408

I don't know, he might be. I was just looking at some pictures from Junior Worlds last year, with Joshua and Han and Jason standing in a row (no skates), and Josh towers over both of them, while Han is only more or less the same height as Jason, who claims to be 5'6". Joshua is supposed to be 5'8" (according to his icenetwork bio). However, I suspect all three have grown again since then - Jason has looked taller at some events this season, and so has Han.

20. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

The kid has a dry sense of humor. Some of his weibo (Chinese twitter) tweets are deadpan funny.

21. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

What do they say? I still need to learn Chinese. :(

22. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

It's kind of hard to translate the humor. He posted a couple of photos of his cat ("pretty girl") and then complained that "pretty girl" chose to poop outside the litter box just to mess with him.

Last year Yan posted a photo at JGPF with Josh Farris and Jason Brown (1, 2, 3), in which he stood in the middle and stuck both hands in front while the other boys held their arms behind him. He said something like "Didn't know where to put my hands. Awkward!"

23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I don't know a thing about humor in Chinese culture, but cat and podium humor have universal charm.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

To me his biggest strength is his wonderful flow and ease of movement across the ice - that's how he got the relatively high PCS despite being so wooden in his expression. His choreographer did well picking familiar music for him but he still needs to emote more, skate with a purpose and pack in some more transitions. Right now it looks like he is skating from one end of the ice to the ice aimlessly waiting to jump.

25. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Agree with the first part but not the last. I think he's quite musical and the programs were choreographed just fine. If you don't look at his face it is almost perfect. All he needs is more facial expression. his body expression is there already IMO.

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Many Chinese skaters tend to be rather wooden with their facial expressions. It seems to take them awhile to let loose on the ice and open up and show emotion.

27. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Sui /Han came to my mind as an ex exception . They are the rare "show off " type Chinese skaters, kind of natural to them.

28. waltzNo1

waltzNo1 New Member

29. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

great!

30. shine

shine Well-Known Member

That's great, but what are you trying to prove? Why not post a current video of his skating to prove that he has great presentation? If the video says anything, it's that his presentation has actually regressed since he was 10...