haircutter vs catchfoot layback

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by iarispiralllyof, Mar 22, 2013.

1. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

people seem to be really inconsistent in labeling/calling these two moves out, and often they seem to be mistaken for each other, so I'm really confused

am i correct in assuming that the haircutter just has the foot extended higher up beside the head (not over it like a biellman), whereas the catchfoot layback has the foot below the head? google images seems really inconsistent with this move :confused:

on a side note: the pearl just seems to be a catchfoot layback with the legs straightened out more so it's like a biellman but in a layback position? a lot of people are inconsistent about this as well. I've seen mirai nagasu's catchfoot layback labelled a pearl spin even though the leg isn't straightened out

AHH!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think your description of the pearl spin as a lay-back in the Biellman position is a good description.

Irina has one of the best catch foot. I think the term catch-foot and hair-cutter is interchangeable. I mean Irina definitely could've cut her hair with her blade while in the catch-foot position.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Your descriptions are good. To me, the hair cutter has the blade near the head, potentially "cutting" the hair. The pearl, the head is near the knee, because like a biellman, the leg is extended.

A catch foot layback is any position laid back holding the foot. So this could be either of the above moves, but so could other laybacks.

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Didn't Dick Button unfortunately contribute to the semantics issues with this? He seemed unprepared for the proliferation of catch foot moves, so sometimes he would search a bit.

5. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

Skittl1321's definitions are great.

Technically, a "haircutter" in which the skater simply grabs the free leg and raises the blade to head level isn't a difficult variation of a layback position. In order to get it called as a difficult variation, there should be additional bend in the core. This is one of the calls that frequently falls into the gray zone; some callers are very picky about the "change in core;" others will award it based on flexibility alone.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I miss The Pearl. A thing of beauty.

7. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Thanks for all of the feedback you guys!

What confuses me is that there are a variety of very similar moves

like akiko's catchfoot right here (notice how the leg is brought up higher in the end than with say..mirai's)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STyh8j0Urhw#t=4m46s

this would qualify as a haircutter too wouldn't it? carolina does sth similar

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013