Gymnastics news

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by judgejudy27, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The old thread was closed. So this is the new one to discuss all gymnastics news.

2. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I'll start with the question I asked at the end of the old thread.

I used to go to the Gymnastics Tape Trading Club site - here . It was still active the last time I actually got to the site. Since then Geocities has shut down.

Does anyone know if they have a new site somewhere. Has the whole thing just stopped?

3. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

So I guess I'll be the one to start the new thread out with a bang.

You know the 80's were so long ago, so imagine my extreme surprise when logging onto one of my fav gymn-sites today and coming across a find. She's the most talented gymnast that I've ever seen, all 3 feet something of her. As much as I've looked there doesn't seem to be a USB port on her so I think she's real, and holy Omelianchik is she cute on top of all of it. Anyways, get on with it I know.. :rolleyes:

she is Mai Murakami, she's from Japan, and is she awesome and only 13 years old? "HAI!"

Vault (she can also somehow do a DTT in training):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_SaepSEcdo

Beam (If I were you I would grab onto something nearby, learn from my mistake):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4_sZuok9Xk

Floor (after beam you should be prepared for this one ;)):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qYnreRBhfk

Who cares if she fades into Alexis Brion obscurity or Sony sends out an urgent press release on an experiment that escaped, I needed this so badly!!!! And I needed it 9 years ago.

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You know, between her and Koko, if things keep going this way for Japan, I will root for them for gold in 2012. As someone else said on another forum, Japan is still new enough to take risks and bring something new to gymnastics and not have the same ol' stock routines that we see from the big countries.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Oh my, that girl attempted a triple turn into layout stepout combination. Anyone trying a triple turn on beam is nuts but to connect it to something!? She is like a mini-Shawn Johnson and to call someone a mini version of her is crazy...

6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

:rofl: I thought the same thing!

7. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

The Japanese women seem set to recapture their old glory days from the 1960's. They've really been over-shadowed by the men's team in the decades since to say the least. It's high time they get their turn in the sun once more.

I think this new crop of young ladies may well do it. Who knows? They may even match (or surpass!) the success of their counterparts in women's figure skating. :shizuka1:

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  8. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

9. LKR

LKR Active Member

Jonathan Horton, Tim McNeill, and Rebecca Bross are slated to compete at the 2010 American Cup during March of next year. There is still a 2nd TBA for the women, but the slot will not go to Bridget Sloan, who has announced her intentions to take a break from competition until later on in 2010 (presumably Nationals). I think the TBA could be being held for Jordyn Weiber and USAG is waiting to see if she will be healthy enough to compete. If it is not her, I would see Ivana Hong or Kyla Ross taking that slot.

10. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

That combo was insane. :eek: Imagine if she actually hit that routine without all the balance checks??? One to watch for sure!

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

13. mkats

mkats New Member

LOL at Maxim. I have to agree...

Nastia was listed as one of 2009's Most Influential Women. (She's number 11). I've got to say this has me a bit :huh: - she's a great gymnast and all, but I hardly think she belongs in the same breath as Aung San Suu Kyi :confused: Not to mention, all her achievements are from 2008... what has she really done this year?

14. mkats

mkats New Member

And Nastia unveils her new website to announce... well, not much, besides the fact that she's available for clinics :lol:

www.nastialiukintour.com

15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek: When is her birthdate? Is she going to make the age cutoff for 2012 Olympics??

16. floskate

floskate Vacant

For those of you that didn't know, Beth Tweddle was awarded an MBE by The Queen in the New Years Honours List. Here's her reaction from local TV and whoopeeee her braces are finally OFF!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZdgWIMxyKs

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  17. LKR

LKR Active Member

I don't know her exact birthdate, but she did turn 13 last year and will thus turn 16 in 2012, ensuring her of being age-eligible for the Olympics. :)

18. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

that was amazing.. made my day.. what great quads on such a little girl:yikes:

19. Sasha'sSpins

This was posted on another forum (I don't know if it was posted here yet) but anyway for anyone who cares about Nastia and Evan fluffys they were spotted at a Lakers game:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-01-11-3162440555_x.htm

Olympic gymnastics all-around champion Nastia Liukin watched the game, with world figure skating champion Evan Lysacek's arm around her.

How sweet.:watch:

20. Sasha'sSpins

Nastia Liukin tweeted "Hello Spokane" in huge caps. Shout out to Evan no doubt.
    http://twitter.com/NLiukin
    Hello Spokane!
    about 12 hours ago from UberTwitter
    Reply Retweet

21. challon

challon New Member

If any of you are interested men's gym USAG has posted a lot of video's from the first night of the Winter Cup on there Youtube channel

22. challon

challon New Member

If any of you are interested in men's gym, USAG has posted a lot of video's from the first night of the Winter Cup on there Youtube page.

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am most definitely interested in MAG! Thanks a milion for the top! :cheer2:

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Chris Brooks beat US champion Jonathan Horton for the Winter Cup title. I wonder if we will be seeing him in this year's worlds?! I hope so. :)

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

According to IGMB Nailya Mustafina has retired due to injury. Sad news because I was entertaining thoughts of both sisters making the 2012 summer games along with Komova, and Nabieva.

26. BigB08822

Didn't they have the WOGA Classic this past weekend? Anyone know how it went?

I also saw an interview with Nastia where she says she is focusing this year on traveling and promotions and will get back into training to compete in 2011 and 2012. I will believe it when I see it but she seems to have a good plan if her body allows her to comeback. She told her sponsors that all traveling and such needs to be planned and done this year because after 2010 she is back into training/competing.

27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

29. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Idiotic and paternalistic age limit rules aside, I'll be repulsed if that choppy American team gets handed a bronze 10 years after the fact. The 2000 Chinese squad was gorgeous. :swoon:

30. BigB08822

Cheating is cheating, the medal should be stripped. What is sad is that China has clearly learned how to cheat even better because they got away with it in 2008 and will probably continue to get away with it. They found a way to do it and make it work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.