Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there was possibly an issue with the equipment as well. It does seem odd that both girls went down within minutes of each other on the same set of bars. It doesn't mean that the spotlights were a good idea, but there have been lots of other exhibitions with spotlights without having injuries like that.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What an awful way to get injured. I worry about Maroney because she is in the hospital and needing further testing. A serious knee injury is the LAST thing you need when your entire career depends on vault. I know I am being selfish but I wanted to see that vault some more from Maroney. It is the best piece of gymnastics in decades and I wasn't ready for it to be over with. At least she got her Olympic medals and had the vault of her life during TF on the biggest stage, though. The good news is that if anyone can come back it is probably her because her vaulting technique is so good that she is never twisting into the ground so her risk of knee injuries on the Amanar is far lower than for almost anyone else in the World. I hope it isn't anything too serious like Mustafina went through.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I want Maroney to get a vault named after her. :(

4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Aly and Gabby tweeting her that they are praying for her doesn't inspire confidence either.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The positive thing is even in worst case scenario (which hopefully it isnt) like Mustafina, even Mustafina came back gangbusters as strong as ever in about a years time.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They were both on the end where the floor was very dark. Did they fall off or just land badly i couldnt really tell Perhaps they couldn't see to judge their landings?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Didn't she use to try an Amanar on VT, too? I haven't seen that from her after the injury (probably a good thing since some of hers were a little close to being UR). Knee injuries are a lot more devastating on vault and that is Maroney's best event. I do agree Mustafina made an impressive come back, but VT isn't the one event I would single out where is she 'as strong as ever.'

8. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Musty's Ur problem was during only america cup 2011. Her real problem with the Amanar is that she was twisting into the mat, her legs were fully rotated, but her body is still twisting. You can image it like a screw effect, and think of teh pressure it will put on various part of the.body. Interestingly if you google translate the 2.5 twist from Russian, you can find the translation as 2.5 screw.

As for vault not looking good, her double twist yuchenko looks better than ever and she sticks all of the vaults. This increases her E-score. Now with depleted sv for the amanar she will become bit more competative with her DTY vault.

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

You're telling me she took the Kostner approach on VT -do less, but with better execution & it worked well for her as well :p.

10. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Latest update - fractured tibia for McKayla. :( At least there's no mention of the knee. I'd take a clean break over ligament damage.

11. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I'm relieved to hear that. A break still sucks and she will be out for awhile, but its not something that'll prevent her from getting back to where she was in her gymnastics again or affect her later on in life. She honestly deserves the vacation!! :40beers: Hope she heals well and can truly soak in what an amazing summer she has had now. :)

12. BigB08822

Never thought I'd be relieved to hear about a broken leg but that is so much better than an ACL tear or anything with the knee. I hope they aren't hiding any other serious injuries, I never completely trust USAG.

13. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

so true.. a bone is much easier to heal than a tendon tear.. although mentally I am sure it will be difficult to come back vaulting like she does after a broken leg.. I hope she does though as her vault really was one of the most amazing things I have seen :)

14. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Poor McKayla....sounds like she needs a break. This is 3rd broken bone in as many months. First there was her nose, then the toe, and now her leg. Has she always been this accident prone, or is she just having an extraordinary year?

15. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

okay I'm really confused.. this article states that Maroney also had a broken fibula at the olympics?? http://www.examiner.com/article/mckayla-maroney-has-a-fractured-tibia

and now a broken tibia?? I'm thinking that it should be a requirement for an annual MRI for elite gymnasts so those that are suffering from fractures - be it stress or otherwise - can be given proper advice on the long term damage on their body :rolleyes:

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

What? Wow, she needs a rest and a bone evaluation.

Too bad they didn't start the tour in October after more time to rest.

17. floskate

floskate Vacant

Totally shocking that both Aly and Mckayla have been injured so needlessly. The video makes this show look soooo cheap. :(

18. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Geez those videos made that show look like such thrash. Hopefully this gives it such a negative backlash it dissapears completely.

19. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Gymnastics isn't a great exhibition sport.

However, this is probably one of the only chances for these girls to make some money back from their sport, outside of the few advertisements they've done. So if people still go to these cheesefests, good on them.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It's not, but they couldn't make these group numbers any worse if they tried. And, does everything have to be an attempt to do sexy? Am sure USAG or whoever organizes the tour is really hanging onto every word I say here :p.

21. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

It sounds like Aly is fine (she tweeted about being excited for their next show later this week) and hopefully McKayla heals up quickly and completely. Poor thing. :fragile:

BTW-My mom and I saw the gymnastics tour they did after the 2008 Olympics and it was really fun (it still had a few cheesy moments but overall it was pretty good). Not sure if we're going to see this one yet though. It doesn't come here until November so we have time to figure that out. :eek:

22. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

My parents took my sister and I to the tour with the 1996 team, I don't remember a whole lot from it, plus I was 10 years old at the time, so my cheez-factor radar was not really developed then :lol: All I know is that there wasn't "sexy" posing to Beyonce garbage :p

23. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I have been reminiscing lately and I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13ylPLsbl8

Makes me so proud I chose my name. :cool: Remember when people used to :blah: her on floor because she didn't have the uber charm that Lilia had? My goodness this floor routine trumps the 2012 Olympic Floor final with all 8 routines put together, plus all of the worlds this quad, why can't a gymnast have this kind of attention to detail everywhere again? She does a back-handspring with pointed toes, locked knees, and perfect rhythm and shoulder angle - that shouldn't make me so happy!!! I don't even mind the straddled double pike compared to the triple twists we see now, closed with a full-in too! Ahh, the 90's. :kickass:

24. BigB08822

It looks like she only straddled the double pike so badly because she really was wonky coming out of the 1 1/2 twist and did her round off a little far to the side.

25. Choupette

Choupette Well-Known Member

No, I don't recall that... I've never liked Podkopayeva's dance on FX that much, although it was more because of the choreography than because of the way she moved. I find Karpenko's FXs superior.

26. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I'm at the tour show in Seattle. It's currently intermission. It's not as bad as I thought it would be based on the reviews. My main complaint is that there's too much focus on Nastia and not enough on the current teams.

27. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

^Strange?

28. galaxygirl

Actually, I thought about it afterwards and I think it may be because she's probably the only one who has been able to fully commit to the whole show? Or maybe it's just because she is an 'artistic consultant' to the show. My sister, who knows very little about gymnastics other than a few names, said to me 'who is the girl and why is the show all about her?' :lol:

Btw, Gabrielle got the loudest ovation followed by Nastia and Alicia.

29. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

30. galaxygirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.