Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Yes! You summed it up in a much shorter way than I could have. :lol: Basically I agree there are small deductions there depending on how you look at it, but they are honestly hard to spot even in slow motion which is unbelievable.

Maybe a little less distance than she usually has, very slight piked body and very slight leg-separation on the pre-flight when she contacts the horse. Those judges did not deduct for a non-stuck landing, it were those other little things. It should have at the very least been a 9.8 from every judge IMO, but this was an opportunity for the judges to validate their new scoring system which nobody (myself included) completely understands and what made Nadia so great to her era - McKayla has that on vault. If it had scored a 10 I don't think anybody would have complained (unless maybe the Russians :p But Alexandrov is always praising her technique whenever she is brought up in interviews) Both of her vaults really, she has the best block and technique on this event in the sport to date IMO. If the judges had given it a ten it would've been such a great moment for gymnastics and I think could've given gymnastics the much needed jolt of life that it needs. In the end what killed its possibility is just how much lower other execution scores have been, so a huge barrier has been broken with 9.8 and 9.9 being given out at a very strict competition like the Olympics. But really in all honesty, relative to the field just as Nadia was, her score should have been a 10.

2. Karpenko

I just saw this posted on another board - Arabian triple front attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZEV7tR-eg

Crazy! I wouldn't be surprised if we see this in the next few years. Also an arabian double front Yurchenko vault.

3. Choupette

Choupette Well-Known Member

True, nor did Mary Lou Retton's vault, wihich had more than a small hop. It didn't bother me when the judges were not as severe back then when they seemed to take the difficulty into account, but an error on the dismount is a little too visible to overlook IMO.

However, you wouldn't have found me whining if Maroney had gotten a 10 on that vault. I liked it very much as it was anyway, even if in my mind this is not quite a 10. :)

I found the Russian coach's comment interesting, when he said she should have done an easier 2nd vault (I assume he was thinking of the layout Podkopayeva).

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Who is that?

5. Karpenko

No idea, but it looks like from the comments that it was done back in 1988. :wideeyes: Some are saying it could possibly be Yuri Yermakov or Valeri Liukin. (I think maybe Dos Dantos could've done one in her prime!)

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that judges could see those things (aside from less distance) in real-time, however, and I thought they didn't have replay?

I will say that as much as I would love to have seen McKayla's vault get a 10, I will take the more severe scoring these days over the days when judges didn't consistently deduct for obvious errors. I watched the 1991 Worlds AA this week as I converted it on to DVD and so many gymnasts were scoring 9.9+ (and even high 9.9s) for routines that had obvious mistakes, which means that judges were giving 10s for routines with wobbles, errors, etc. It makes the winner feel so random. I think that one of the biggest judging errors at that Worlds was Cristina Bontas's second vault receiving a 9.887 in spite of absolutely horrendous form (legs apart and bent on the horse, landing with legs apart, etc.)

The other thing that was brought home by that Worlds is the benefit of having the D-score. Betty Okino had a much simpler floor routine than Bontas, Zmeskal, and even Boguinskaya, but still scored a 9.912 and had a similar lack of difficulty on bars. I was kind of amused that even the American commentators thought that she was getting too much credit for her simple bars dismount and flat-out admitted that the Americans politicked to get the dismount difficulty rating raised.

7. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

if you are feeling flushed you could do this :D http://www.charitybuzz.com/categories/46/catalog_items/320204

I hope she fully recovers and can return to competition.. she was a great leader for the Canadians even though she wasn't competing :)

8. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Lee is going to compete NCAA for UCLA. Based on her twitter feed I think it's very likely she will go for 2106. She's retweetd several mentions about Rio. And if any NCAA program would support this, historically it's UCLA.

9. mkats

mkats New Member

Anna Li tweeted a picture of some of the elite team. Great to see Rebecca Bross looking so happy. :)

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It is. I hope she makes it back to Worlds. Anna Li looks great!

11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Great news - I hope she does decide to go for it! I was watching Pacific Rims and was re-impressed with just how good she was.

12. danafan

Here are some examples:

The above was a comment in reply to:

Other tweets include:

(she retweeted that one).

And:

And my favourite:

13. Karpenko

I think she's amazing and would love to see her in Rio. I'm so thankful that Miss Val is the one who will mentor her, she couldn't be in better hands as far as the timing of recovering from this injury goes. Without elite routines she can have fun and ease her way back into it. It may be too much to ask but I could see her being a huge contender to medal on balance beam as soon as next year, maybe bars finals too. At any rate the Canadian ladies are on the upswing, and it would be beautiful for PPL to be the one to break through and medal again. (I could also see Ellie Black sneaking out a medal on vault next year which would be great)

14. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Who is this "Miss Val" and why do I keep hearing about her?

I don't know why, but in my mind she is a black tranny. Is this the case?

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Karpenko

She is the head coach at UCLA, and :lol: google her, I'm too lazy right now. ;)

I just finished up my first gymnastics montage in 4 years, thought you guys might enjoy it. It's of the US Olympic team and the music is "Good Feeling" by Flo Rida:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FubeRIgw31M

Hope it gives you a good feeling :inavoid: These girls did amazing. :rockstar:

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

valerie kondos field, i love her
    she can straighten out bad technique
    she gives better choreo than what almost all of the elites have

17. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Wow, that's impressive! She'll be 118 at the time. Definitly would be a record age for a gymnast, or Olympian of any type. There is one problem though. 2106 will be a Winter Olympic year. ;)

18. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

things will be different by then, no winter games due to global warming ...FS will be added back to summer games as an indoor sport:slinkaway.

19. danafan

Lol well can I at least get the typo of the year award?

20. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

^ No sorry BB beat you to do that.

Hmm gymnastics so quiet now. But ugh injuries in a gala/exhibition. Not good.

21. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

The Russian team (WAG/MAG and Juniors I believe) are having a "camp" in Mallorca at the moment. I think it's just more like a recovery/holiday/very light training thing. Interestingly, Inshina, Dementyeva and Nabieva are there - all are still training.

Mustafina has entered the Stuttgart WC in December and calls it her "first step to Rio". Thinking this far ahead already! Melikes.

Komova intends to keep the Amanar and there is word she is going to start training a double layout.

Looks like Afanasyeva will continue for now :D Probably just BB/FX.

22. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

As gingercrush alluded to above, McKayla and Aly were both injured in the show last night. McKayla tweeted a picture of her in the hospital. It looks like she has a cast or brace on her left thigh. :( I haven't heard anything about Aly.

http://instagram.com/p/PZhqIcqiXg/

These injuries were both so stupid. They were doing bars in a dark arena with colored, theatrical lighting. Beyond stupid. :mad:

23. mkats

mkats New Member

I just saw that. WTF. Someone WWGym posted a link to it as well, you can see Maroney falling off at about 1:17. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p5HVanlmuQ&feature=player_embedded

So this is the first time I've ever seen a video of this tour. Is it just me or does it look really.... trashy?? The way they have the girls who aren't performing on bars standing around in all the provocative poses? :yikes:

24. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That looks dreadful! Sloppy and cheesy, way too dark and too many flashing lights. I went to the gym tour after the 1992 games and it was much more straight forward.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  26. Karpenko

:wall: These tours are always god awful for so many reasons. It will be hard for Mac to make it to Worlds this year if her injury is that serious.

27. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Unprotected floor? terrible.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

In 1992 they did watered down versions of their Olympic routines. In a fully lit arena as if it were a competition. With mats. They had multiple balance beams, and a group floor routine, but the rest was like a competition with people going up on each event around the arena. I prefer that to this cheese.

29. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Um, I'm finding them doing those bar routines in a dark arena like that to be stupidest thing ever. It must be dangerous enough when figure skaters perform with just the spotlight. These gymnasts are swinging on bars and doing flips/twists.

30. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Not to mention the fact that Aly and McKayla aren't exactly known for their mad bars skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.