Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Great news - I hope she does decide to go for it! I was watching Pacific Rims and was re-impressed with just how good she was.
  2. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Here are some examples:

The above was a comment in reply to:

Other tweets include:

(she retweeted that one).

And:

And my favourite:

3. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I think she's amazing and would love to see her in Rio. I'm so thankful that Miss Val is the one who will mentor her, she couldn't be in better hands as far as the timing of recovering from this injury goes. Without elite routines she can have fun and ease her way back into it. It may be too much to ask but I could see her being a huge contender to medal on balance beam as soon as next year, maybe bars finals too. At any rate the Canadian ladies are on the upswing, and it would be beautiful for PPL to be the one to break through and medal again. (I could also see Ellie Black sneaking out a medal on vault next year which would be great)
  4. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Who is this "Miss Val" and why do I keep hearing about her?

I don't know why, but in my mind she is a black tranny. Is this the case?
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Karpenko

She is the head coach at UCLA, and :lol: google her, I'm too lazy right now. ;)

I just finished up my first gymnastics montage in 4 years, thought you guys might enjoy it. It's of the US Olympic team and the music is "Good Feeling" by Flo Rida:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FubeRIgw31M

Hope it gives you a good feeling :inavoid: These girls did amazing. :rockstar:
  6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

valerie kondos field, i love her
    she can straighten out bad technique
    she gives better choreo than what almost all of the elites have
  7. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Wow, that's impressive! She'll be 118 at the time. Definitly would be a record age for a gymnast, or Olympian of any type. There is one problem though. 2106 will be a Winter Olympic year. ;)
  8. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

things will be different by then, no winter games due to global warming ...FS will be added back to summer games as an indoor sport:slinkaway.
  9. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Lol well can I at least get the typo of the year award?
  10. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

^ No sorry BB beat you to do that.

Hmm gymnastics so quiet now. But ugh injuries in a gala/exhibition. Not good.
  11. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

The Russian team (WAG/MAG and Juniors I believe) are having a "camp" in Mallorca at the moment. I think it's just more like a recovery/holiday/very light training thing. Interestingly, Inshina, Dementyeva and Nabieva are there - all are still training.

Mustafina has entered the Stuttgart WC in December and calls it her "first step to Rio". Thinking this far ahead already! Melikes.

Komova intends to keep the Amanar and there is word she is going to start training a double layout.

Looks like Afanasyeva will continue for now :D Probably just BB/FX.
  12. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

As gingercrush alluded to above, McKayla and Aly were both injured in the show last night. McKayla tweeted a picture of her in the hospital. It looks like she has a cast or brace on her left thigh. :( I haven't heard anything about Aly.

http://instagram.com/p/PZhqIcqiXg/

These injuries were both so stupid. They were doing bars in a dark arena with colored, theatrical lighting. Beyond stupid. :mad:
  13. mkats

mkats New Member

I just saw that. WTF. Someone WWGym posted a link to it as well, you can see Maroney falling off at about 1:17. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p5HVanlmuQ&feature=player_embedded

So this is the first time I've ever seen a video of this tour. Is it just me or does it look really.... trashy?? The way they have the girls who aren't performing on bars standing around in all the provocative poses? :yikes:
  14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That looks dreadful! Sloppy and cheesy, way too dark and too many flashing lights. I went to the gym tour after the 1992 games and it was much more straight forward.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  16. Karpenko

:wall: These tours are always god awful for so many reasons. It will be hard for Mac to make it to Worlds this year if her injury is that serious.
  17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Unprotected floor? terrible.
  18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

In 1992 they did watered down versions of their Olympic routines. In a fully lit arena as if it were a competition. With mats. They had multiple balance beams, and a group floor routine, but the rest was like a competition with people going up on each event around the arena. I prefer that to this cheese.
  19. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Um, I'm finding them doing those bar routines in a dark arena like that to be stupidest thing ever. It must be dangerous enough when figure skaters perform with just the spotlight. These gymnasts are swinging on bars and doing flips/twists.
  20. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Not to mention the fact that Aly and McKayla aren't exactly known for their mad bars skills.
  21. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there was possibly an issue with the equipment as well. It does seem odd that both girls went down within minutes of each other on the same set of bars. It doesn't mean that the spotlights were a good idea, but there have been lots of other exhibitions with spotlights without having injuries like that.
  22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What an awful way to get injured. I worry about Maroney because she is in the hospital and needing further testing. A serious knee injury is the LAST thing you need when your entire career depends on vault. I know I am being selfish but I wanted to see that vault some more from Maroney. It is the best piece of gymnastics in decades and I wasn't ready for it to be over with. At least she got her Olympic medals and had the vault of her life during TF on the biggest stage, though. The good news is that if anyone can come back it is probably her because her vaulting technique is so good that she is never twisting into the ground so her risk of knee injuries on the Amanar is far lower than for almost anyone else in the World. I hope it isn't anything too serious like Mustafina went through.
    Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I want Maroney to get a vault named after her. :(
  24. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Aly and Gabby tweeting her that they are praying for her doesn't inspire confidence either.
  25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The positive thing is even in worst case scenario (which hopefully it isnt) like Mustafina, even Mustafina came back gangbusters as strong as ever in about a years time.
  26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They were both on the end where the floor was very dark. Did they fall off or just land badly i couldnt really tell Perhaps they couldn't see to judge their landings?
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Didn't she use to try an Amanar on VT, too? I haven't seen that from her after the injury (probably a good thing since some of hers were a little close to being UR). Knee injuries are a lot more devastating on vault and that is Maroney's best event. I do agree Mustafina made an impressive come back, but VT isn't the one event I would single out where is she 'as strong as ever.'
  28. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Musty's Ur problem was during only america cup 2011. Her real problem with the Amanar is that she was twisting into the mat, her legs were fully rotated, but her body is still twisting. You can image it like a screw effect, and think of teh pressure it will put on various part of the.body. Interestingly if you google translate the 2.5 twist from Russian, you can find the translation as 2.5 screw.

As for vault not looking good, her double twist yuchenko looks better than ever and she sticks all of the vaults. This increases her E-score. Now with depleted sv for the amanar she will become bit more competative with her DTY vault.
  29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

You're telling me she took the Kostner approach on VT -do less, but with better execution & it worked well for her as well :p.
  30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Latest update - fractured tibia for McKayla. :( At least there's no mention of the knee. I'd take a clean break over ligament damage.
  31. Karpenko

I'm relieved to hear that. A break still sucks and she will be out for awhile, but its not something that'll prevent her from getting back to where she was in her gymnastics again or affect her later on in life. She honestly deserves the vacation!! :40beers: Hope she heals well and can truly soak in what an amazing summer she has had now. :)
  32. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd be relieved to hear about a broken leg but that is so much better than an ACL tear or anything with the knee. I hope they aren't hiding any other serious injuries, I never completely trust USAG.
  33. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

so true.. a bone is much easier to heal than a tendon tear.. although mentally I am sure it will be difficult to come back vaulting like she does after a broken leg.. I hope she does though as her vault really was one of the most amazing things I have seen :)
  34. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Poor McKayla....sounds like she needs a break. This is 3rd broken bone in as many months. First there was her nose, then the toe, and now her leg. Has she always been this accident prone, or is she just having an extraordinary year?
  35. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

okay I'm really confused.. this article states that Maroney also had a broken fibula at the olympics?? http://www.examiner.com/article/mckayla-maroney-has-a-fractured-tibia

and now a broken tibia?? I'm thinking that it should be a requirement for an annual MRI for elite gymnasts so those that are suffering from fractures - be it stress or otherwise - can be given proper advice on the long term damage on their body :rolleyes:
  36. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

What? Wow, she needs a rest and a bone evaluation.

Too bad they didn't start the tour in October after more time to rest.
  37. floskate

floskate Vacant

Totally shocking that both Aly and Mckayla have been injured so needlessly. The video makes this show look soooo cheap. :(
  38. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Geez those videos made that show look like such thrash. Hopefully this gives it such a negative backlash it dissapears completely.
  39. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Gymnastics isn't a great exhibition sport.

However, this is probably one of the only chances for these girls to make some money back from their sport, outside of the few advertisements they've done. So if people still go to these cheesefests, good on them.
  40. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It's not, but they couldn't make these group numbers any worse if they tried. And, does everything have to be an attempt to do sexy? Am sure USAG or whoever organizes the tour is really hanging onto every word I say here :p.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.